It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2004, 12:13 PM   #1

hethr1 HB User
Question New test results.....

Hello,

I started taking 1/2 grain of Armour on 7/12/04.

Here are the test #'s from 8/10/04 and the prior test:

8/10/04:
TSH was 4.49 (ref range: .34 - 5.6)

6/18/04:
TSH was 5.33

I think it's looking better, but my Dr. didn't leave me a message
about increasing dose or anything like that. Does anyone have
any thoughts about whether or not I need to talk to my Dr.
about increasing the dose.....or just keep taking the 1/2 grain?

Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2004, 12:43 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: New test results.....

The most important question is - How are you feeling? I would doubt you feel much different than before you started Armour, because your TSH is still much higher than what's normal for people without thyroid disease, which is somewhere around 1.

If TSH is the only test you doctor is doing to monitor your treatment, you're in for a bumpy ride. He should also be doing free T4 and free T3. TSH isn't even a thyroid hormone, so adjusting your dose of thyroid according to it makes no sense. He might as well be using a mammogram to adjust the dose. See how illogical that would be? T4 and T3 are the thyroid hormones... It makes infinitely more sense to adjust meds according to them. They are the hormones that make the world of difference in how you feel. TSH does not.

Edited to add.... Yes! Ask for a dose increase, as long as you still have symptoms and a high-normal TSH. And if he refuses to raise it, ask for a new doctor.

Last edited by midwest1; 08-19-2004 at 12:46 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2004, 01:41 PM   #3

hethr1 HB User
Re: New test results.....

Thanks for the quick reply!
I have to say that my energy level has been "oh so slightly" higher. I have
"A LOT" of marital and chronic pain stuff going on now....so I'm wondering if I would be feeling even better if those things were "more quickly" eliminated (at least the marital stuff).....but that's another subject! I am a bit surprised that I haven't dropped a few lbs, since I've been trying to eat healthier and have been on the Armour for a month. Maybe my natural metabolism has been sluggish for so long that it will take regular exercise to get it going again (diet and Armour alone won't do it??).
I talked to the Physician Assistant a little while ago and he said "you seem to be falling well within the set range and the Dr. didn't make any notes". I said yes, but those ranges are very outdated and I wasn't satisfied with that answer. Since he is new on the staff, I talked him into discussing it with the Dr. I told him I think it might be helpful to bump up my dose and see if I continue to feel even better. He was very cooperative and said he would check. By the way, my Dr. only tested for TSH. I have discussed the other tests with him, but he has his mind set that that's all he needs to look at.
I will let you know how I'm feeling after they bump up my dose (if they agree to do so). Thanks again for your continued help!! Hethr1

Closed Thread