It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2004, 03:09 PM   #1
(male)

pdb123 HB User
any hypos experience hyper before a crash?

I've noticed a trend concerning my TSH level. I will feel fine for a few months and my TSH will be stable, but then all of a sudden I'll start having hyper symptoms. I'll have tons of energy, trouble sleeping, diarrhea, etc. This will last for a couple weeks, then I just crash and my hypo symptoms return. I go to the doc, and he finds that my TSH has gone up. He increases my med, and then I'm fine again for a while. It's almost like I'm having some sort of episode where out of nowhere my thyroid works overtime and ends up burning part of itself out. Then I'm worse off then I was before. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I thought I would mention it to my doc, but I didn't want him to think that I'm crazy.

Old 08-19-2004, 03:36 PM   #2

beccalynnteam3 HB User
Re: any hypos experience hyper before a crash?

Really odd...as I mentioned in my post...I have been hypo for years than about a month ago I started having symptoms of hyper (but I didn't know that was what they were). The muscle weakness was so bad that I went to the doctors and now she informed me I am hyper. She ran more blood tests and is waiting for the results. So I don't know what has caused this as of yet.

Reading your post made me wonder even more what is going on. Hopefully I will find out soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2004, 07:34 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Ellyn HB User

I can say with me having Hashi I have indeed experienced that. I can go a few months and then one day all of a sudden boom I'm hyper. It lasts anywhere from 3 days to a week and then I'm hypo again. Its a cycle for me. Not fun either. Have you had your antibodies tested?

Old 08-20-2004, 12:47 PM   #4
(male)

pdb123 HB User

I have not had my antibodies tested. My doc did say at one point that "It's most likely Hashimoto's Disease" but I guess he didn't think the cause of my hypo mattered as much as treating it.

Old 08-20-2004, 01:07 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

SarahF HB User

that sounds like me ... but I have noticed that right before that I have usually been experiencing a good bit of stress. It's like my body can't handle it and just goes into overdrive and then says "enough already."

Old 08-20-2004, 02:06 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Ellyn HB User

Oh yes the stress factor. I have found that I need to stay away from stressful situations. If I feel it will cause stress I now say no. I used to be a person that went went went and never said no. I try to eat right and get plenty of rest.

Old 08-20-2004, 07:15 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

SarahF HB User

My stress right now can't be avoided, unfortunately. I am dealing with aging parents who almost found themselves homeless. And a 35 year old sister who behaves like a spoiled teenager. So I'm managing and really trying to get extra rest.

Old 08-20-2004, 07:40 PM   #8

kltj HB User

Is that what is happening? We go hyper? My GP explained it that Hashimoto's sort of remits and then those bad times that last a week or three every four months or so, with pressure in neck and aches and diarehha and swollen glands and all that is when the body is actually attacking the thyroid again. My Endo says I'm always experiencing hashimoto's. He says all those symptoms I'm feeling aren't from the hashimoto's. He says hashimoto's isn't painful.

So he keeps testing me for everything else under the sun. He says most people with Hashimoto's has at least one other autoimmune disease and he is bent on finding my OTHER one. I don't have another one. I believe my GP. And all that I'm reading everywhere. I'm in the process of switching endos.

Hang in there everyone!
Kj

Old 08-21-2004, 06:30 AM   #9
Inactive

hypodude HB User

Oddly enough I just spoke to someone from the National Graves Disease Foundation yesterday in an attempt to get cured from similar symptoms....

Do a google search on "hashitoxicosis" and see if that is similar to what you experience. This is almost precisely what I experience and I've never heard that before speaking with this lady after extensive research. Anyway, she told me to have my doc check specifically for Graves antibodies and hashi's antibodies. The treatment that was suggested to pass on to my doc was anit-thyroid meds along with carefully monitored synthroid....basically treat both symptoms of hyper and hypo.

Old 09-20-2004, 04:14 PM   #10

kltj HB User

Hypodude, thanks for the info. I'm switching Endo's and will see a new one in November (isn't that ridiculous that we have to wait that long). I've been thinking that I become hyper for a while when these symptoms happen, just for the mere reason I lose 5 pounds almost immediately. I've had 4 of these attacks in 1 year. But really I thank you for this info, and I will go forth with it in a google search as well as info to my NEW endo!

Thanks HypoDude,

Kathi J.

Old 09-20-2004, 07:46 PM   #11
(male)

pdb123 HB User

I did a search on Hashitoxicosis and this sounds exactly like what is occurring with me. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!!!

Old 09-21-2004, 02:28 AM   #12

Felix73 HB User

Hi there,
Can someone with Hashis please tell me what the test is called for anti-bodies? I have just (finally) received my last test results from my previous endo and I'm not sure what to look for.

He did the following : Thyroid Perox. Ab (negative), Anti-body screen including smooth muscle, mitichondrial, keratin, liver microsomal, kidney microsomal, ant-nuclear, paritetal cell (all negative).

Do these make any sense to anyone?

Thanks,

Felix x

Old 09-21-2004, 04:15 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix73
He did the following : Thyroid Perox. Ab (negative), Anti-body screen including smooth muscle, mitichondrial, keratin, liver microsomal, kidney microsomal, ant-nuclear, paritetal cell (all negative).
Good morning, Felix

Those tests are for autoimmune markers; the Antithyroid peroxidase antibodies would have been high in Hashimoto's and low in Grave's. If you're interested in doing a little medical research have a look at this [approved ] web encyclopedia:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/encyclopedia.html

Nat

Old 09-21-2004, 05:26 AM   #14

Felix73 HB User

Hi Nat,

Hope you are feeling better today. How is the cold?

Thanks for the info. I guess I am clear for Hashis as it came back "normal" ie less than 50. (But we all know what so-called normal means!!!). No figure was given.

Felix x

Old 09-21-2004, 05:39 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

Arg, "Normal" I'm beginning to hate that word even more than I used to. I did find something of interest, Felix. Are you by chance taking selenium? Apparently if you've been deficient and you begin supplementing (it plays a big role in thyroid function) your antibodies can be reduced by as much as 63% - probably not what you wanted to hear ay?

The cold - is anything but normal (this is good). I am now at the hacking up lung butter stage (sorry to be so graphic) - this for me is usually the last or second last day in the progression. I started to be sick on Sunday. Very bizarre, it's like my cold is on a fast track. Bizarre but I'll take it.

Nat

Closed Thread