It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2004, 05:41 PM   #1

Basketgirl HB User
new to this

Hi, I'm new here. After years of sweating, shaking, and sizes 12 to 24, I had a positive test for hyper today. I have a "goiter" on my neck. I have a sonogram coming up soon. I lost 70 pounds in the last year. I thought I was really doing a good job with my diet. I gained 100 LBS since high school. They think I was possibly hypo in my 20's. Now in my 30's, I have no children and was in infertility treatment. Could hyper be the problem? Also, what can I expect? I'm going to Vegas next month. I read somewhere that you shouldn't fly when in treatment. Thanks

Old 08-20-2004, 06:57 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB User
Re: new to this

Welcome to the boards.

Yes, thyroid issues can cause fertility problems and miscarriage.

Check out this link, it has some info posted by K9Mom on hyperthyroid.

[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=199824[/url]

You will have to copy and paste the link, be sure to not copy the [url] part on the front and back of the link.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Last edited by dea4; 08-20-2004 at 06:58 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2004, 07:01 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User

I'm not sure what kind of treatment you are in that woulnd't let you fly ? What kind of treatment are you currently on? I would like to warn you about doctors who rush to treat their hyper patients with Radioactive Iodine (I-313). This treatment in effect kills off part or all of the thyroid and causes the patient to go hypo a lot of times. Please don't rush into anything like that without doing a lot of research. This approach is needed for some patients, preferred by some patience and just wanted by some patients. However, you need to do everything you can to educate yourself on the hyperactive thyroid before you make any kind of treatment decisions. Most often doctors will start their patients out on PTU or Methamazole & sometimes beta-blockers (to help control the symptoms of hyperactive thyroid). Anyhow, that was kind of a side note (but I'm speaking from experience)

I will tell you that having a thyroid that is out of wack can definately affect your ability to conceive. Once you get your thyroid straightened out, it will hopefully be easier for you.

Did your doctor test you for antibodies?

Old 08-20-2004, 06:32 PM   #4

Basketgirl HB User

Thanks for the information. I am assuming they are putting me on radioactive iodine. Thats one of the options she suggested. It all depends on my ultrasound, I guess. I don't know how to explain how I've felt for the past few years. I guess over tuned. She gave me a beta blocker to stop my tremors. They are very embarrassing for me. Everyone always points it out to me. I always felt like it was my fault. (why, I don't know). I've been tested for thyroid in the past, but I guess they results were all normal. As you know, you give blood and don't always get the results. I am seeing my regular doctor for this. Obviously, I need to be referred to an endo. I guess I just want a quick fix. I've never been tested for antibodies that I know of. I don't know how scared I should be about this. I'm sort of in denial. I thank you for your advice.

Old 08-21-2004, 05:54 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User

I know what your saying about how people treat you regarding your tremors. I didn't have tremors myself, but I had HUGH eyes... they looked like they were going to pop out of my head and people would say things like "stop that, it's freaking me out". I didn't even realize I was doing it and had absolutely no control over it. A friend of mine told me that her sister was convinced I was on drugs -- speed -- because my eyes were so big and I was so tuned up (to use your words). I remember feeling VERY releived when I was diagnosed because I realized I really did have a problem and it wasn't my fault. but then that was replaced with a touch of fear. Once you find out if you have nodules and what kind of nodules you have, you and your doctor will decide on treatment. I urge you, again, to not rush into radioiodine. Start off on the medicine (PTU or methamazole) and really educate yourself on your condition. Come to these boards, read some books (The Thyroid Solution is a good one). I say this because radioiodine is not something you can reverse and it's not something that should be taken lightly. Doctors REALLY like to take this approach becuase it's easier for them to treat an underactive thyroid than it is to treat an overactive. However, for the patient, it's a hard thing to deal with going from hyper to hypo as both have terrible symptoms. Good luck sweetie and please just keep coming here and posting ANY questions you have!

Old 08-21-2004, 10:19 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

K9Mom HB User

I agree, radioactive iodine is not the panacea that the doctors like us to believe. It is not reversible, so make absolutely SURE that you know what the ramifications are.

RAI simply trades hyperthyroidism in for a life of hypothyroidism that can hopefully be controlled by thyroid hormone replacement meds.

I will NEVER take radioactive iodine to treat my Graves...EVER.

Closed Thread