It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2004, 11:51 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

annemv HB User
Am I barking up the right tree?

Hi! I am wondering if anyone would tell me what they think of my labs.
Most recent (two weeks ago)
T3 uptake 32.5 (25-35)
T4 5.4 (5-13)
FTI 1.76 (1.25-4.55)
Anti Thyr AB below 2 (0-2)
Anti TPO Antibody below 2 (0-2)
Both of the antobody tests are in the high area of test columns ?

Test results (April)
TSH 1.6 (.40-5.50)
Free T4 1.1 (0.8-1.8)

Test results (one year ago)
TSH 1.5 (0.40-5.50)
T3 uptake 31.5 (25-35)
Free T4 1.2 (.8-1.8)
I do not understand the whole antibodies thing. Does everyone have them or only some? Do they only cause damage to thyroid when they are high? I can not seem to find much info on this subject.
I have a numerous symptoms and they can not find anything wrong with me. I have been to 16 doctors. I think that I am hypo. The doctors of course do not agree.
I have not been able to work due to fatigue for a year now, I have had enough.
I am hoping that someone here will see something in test results or maybe someone has another avenue I could check into.
Thanks for your time!

Last edited by annemv; 08-20-2004 at 12:19 PM. Reason: fix spelling

Old 08-20-2004, 01:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Am I barking up the right tree?

Quote:
Originally Posted by annemv
Most recent (two weeks ago)
T3 uptake 32.5 (25-35)
T4 5.4 (5-13)
FTI 1.76 (1.25-4.55)
Anti Thyr AB below 2 (0-2)
Anti TPO Antibody below 2 (0-2)
Both of the antobody tests are in the high area of test columns ?

Test results (April)
TSH 1.6 (.40-5.50)
Free T4 1.1 (0.8-1.8)

Test results (one year ago)
TSH 1.5 (0.40-5.50)
T3 uptake 31.5 (25-35)
Free T4 1.2 (.8-1.8)

You haven't had the most useful tests done. The latest panel, for example, is considered outdated and not very revealing. It's better to directly measure the hormone levels by using the free T4 and free T3 tests. But since you had the less precise FTI, I can tell you the result is very low, as is the T4. (The T3 uptake is meaningless; its only use is to calculate the FTI... which is only an estimate of free T4 itself.) The low FTI and T4 counts indicate a reasonable likelihood that you are hypothyroid... and it doesn't matter that your TSH is well within the normal range.

Quote:
I do not understand the whole antibodies thing. Does everyone have them or only some? Do they only cause damage to thyroid when they are high? I can not seem to find much info on this subject.
Antibodies are present in the systems of 80-90% of Hashimoto's disease patients. Hashi's is the leading cause of hypoT, but not its only cause. Environmental, hormonal, and mental stresses can cause it, too. Even a moderately severe case of whiplash or other neck injury is a known cause. Radiation treatments are another known and relatively common cause in people who took them for acne or other disorders before it was known to be so risky.
It probably takes a high titer of antibodies to damage the gland. And it's known that some people have low titers without having any thyroid disease at all.
Quote:
I have been to 16 doctors.
The doctors who pay the most attention to symptoms even when test results don't look too "off" are holistic type practitioners. Osteopathic doctors (DOs) are the most "mainstream" of this type of doctor, and they are typically pretty well-versed in thyroid matters. Most insurances don't have a problem reimbursing for this kind of consultation.
What kind of specialities have you been seeing?

It helps to pre-interview before setting up a potentially futile appointment. Ask if the doctor ever treats people whose tests come back in the "normal" range. Thyroid testing is notoriously subjective, but bad doctors never know that. Ask if he ever prescribes Armour thyroid... This indicates an open-minded view and a wise interpretation of symptoms and labs.

FYI, you might feel less alone in knowing that one woman came by here a while ago and told us that she had seen 36 doctors before finally finding one who agreed to treat her. She wanted to encourage all those having such trouble to keep pursuing what you know to be the right answer for you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2004, 07:43 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

annemv HB User

Thanks for responding.
In answer to your question, I have seen all kinds of doctors. The one I have been going to lately is an alternative, integrative type. He thinks that I have CFS. For some reason I just dont buy it. I have posted on the CFS board and the replys that I have gotten all refer to thyroid.
I have found a DO I think I will try next. If anyone knows of any good docs in Las Vegas area.
The story of the woman that went to 36 drs. is so sad. It does give hope though......

Old 08-21-2004, 11:07 AM   #4
(female)

opalfire HB User

Quote:
Thanks for responding.
In answer to your question, I have seen all kinds of doctors. The one I have been going to lately is an alternative, integrative type. He thinks that I have CFS. For some reason I just dont buy it. I have posted on the CFS board and the replys that I have gotten all refer to thyroid.
I have found a DO I think I will try next. If anyone knows of any good docs in Las Vegas area.
The story of the woman that went to 36 drs. is so sad. It does give hope though......
Don't know any docs in the Vegas area, but since it's so large, you should have a pic of osteopathics. Ask questions before making that appointment, like midwest1 suggested. No point in wasting your time and money!
Good luck!
Judy

Old 08-21-2004, 04:17 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
Unhappy Re: Am I barking up the right tree?

Quote:
Thanks for responding.
i was told that i had CFS about 15 years ago, when it was all the rage ... but now i'm definitely hypO and i think the CFS DX was off, or wrong, or something ... being tired all the time and easily chilled is hypO, and perhaps CFS is a precursor? or just plain wrong, like it doesn't exist? if only, if only ...

jb

Closed Thread