It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2004, 02:03 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User
Could l of turned hypo this quick????

Hello all x as you know (sorry lol) ive been on my atd for approx 7/8 weeks had bad bout joint pain and swelling and the drugs were swapped incase of allergy (carbinmazole 2 x 20mg once a day to PTU 50mg x 2 twice a day) l feel crap now 3 weeks after changing l feel very anxious again no get up and go and gaining weight fast my ankles are swollen and the area around them . I had my bloods done tuesday and l was hoping if anything had changed they would of been in touch with me, now after the 7/8 weeks l can honestly say that i have had some really good days but now l feel awful l feel agitated too lve been thining maybe it could take years to get 'normal' is this possible that lve gone hypo this quick into treatment? Im hoping l ahve a bug or soemthing similar because l dont want to feel like this either cant win eh girls? lol thanks for listening to me again hope your all well xx love niecsey xx

Old 08-20-2004, 04:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
Re: Could l of turned hypo this quick????

Quote:
Originally Posted by niecsey
Hello all x as you know (sorry lol) ive been on my atd for approx 7/8 weeks had bad bout joint pain and swelling and the drugs were swapped incase of allergy (carbinmazole 2 x 20mg once a day to PTU 50mg x 2 twice a day) l feel crap now 3 weeks after changing l feel very anxious again no get up and go and gaining weight fast my ankles are swollen and the area around them . I had my bloods done tuesday and l was hoping if anything had changed they would of been in touch with me, now after the 7/8 weeks l can honestly say that i have had some really good days but now l feel awful l feel agitated too lve been thining maybe it could take years to get 'normal' is this possible that lve gone hypo this quick into treatment? Im hoping l ahve a bug or soemthing similar because l dont want to feel like this either cant win eh girls? lol thanks for listening to me again hope your all well xx love niecsey xx
I am so sorry that you are feeling so bad. You have really had a rough time of it. If your doctor is anything like mine, I usually have to call them to get my results. I don't know about the swelling of your ankles. When I was taking the PTU after awhile I started getting very tired. The MD never told me that the dose will have to be reduced when your thyroid levels get normal.
That is all I can tell you. I would just call MD and ask for your results.

Betty

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2004, 07:18 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

K9Mom HB User

Yes, you CAN go hypo that quickly. You were on a high dose of Carbimazole....a dose equal to 400mg of PTU. So when you changed to PTU your doctor cut your dose down.

When we first start the meds we have a few weeks where the medicine has to counteract both the stored thyroid hormone already in our body, AND the new thyroid hormone production. After these first few weeks, the stores of hormone are depleted and the medicine only has to work to control new thyroid hormone production....this is why it is so important to have lab tests done every 4 weeks and be monitored closely. If your dose is not reduced as your thyroid hormone levels fall, then we become overmedicated and HYPO.

Sounds like new labs are in order for you and a dose adjustment.

Old 08-21-2004, 03:18 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
Unhappy Re: Could l of turned hypo this quick????

Quote:
Quote:
lve been thinking maybe it could take years to get 'normal'
yes, it can take years to get "normal", and some of us are never as we used to be ... i'm in my second year of being hypO, and still bouncing around ... i went on a week's (very active) vacation, and altho' i'd increased my meds in anticipation, by the fifth day i was crashing ...

jb

Old 08-22-2004, 11:06 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanx girls (((hugs))) lm going to go see doc tommorow l feelas bad as l look woke this morning and my left eye is so red (worse than blood shot) lm so tired too and l really really feel down lm starting to worry that something else is wrong with me although probally just the 'downess' lm feeling l dont think l can ring the consultant here in the uk and just 'ask' but l know my doctor would for me!! l dont want to go in there again andhim saying ' lets mention RAI! again' I wish l as like you guys you know so much about whats happeing to you when l start to learn anything at all theres something else chucked up l didnt 'know ' sigh l think if i could just get past this what level med is best for me maybe ld know what lm doing instead of just 'take this twice day carry on... you know what l mean when your first dxn and wet around the ears lol l wish l could laugh lol hes a good man my doc he told me to ring him and he will ring me back if l have any concerns anytime (doctors hours) l will give that ago thanx guys love niecsey xx

Old 08-22-2004, 11:30 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi again just wanted to add 'new symptom(mixture)down cant be bothered with anybody or anything want to be on my own, weepy, tired had a day out with little one and exhaustion follows starting to feel cold,easily aggrivated ,chest pain sensatations ,jumpy heart ,memory is useless heart racing and on it goes thats all l can think of at moment l suspect after reading what you guys have said that lm been over medicated! thanx again for all your kindness xx

Old 08-22-2004, 11:52 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Talking Re: Could l of turned hypo this quick????

Quote:
Hi again just wanted to add 'new symptom(mixture)down cant be bothered with anybody or anything want to be on my own, weepy, tired had a day out with little one and exhaustion follows starting to feel cold,easily aggrivated ,chest pain sensatations ,jumpy heart ,memory is useless heart racing and on it goes thats all l can think of at moment l suspect after reading what you guys have said that lm been over medicated! thanx again for all your kindness xx
you're very probably hypO now -- that can feel like a virus or the flu', and depression/weepiness is a significant clue (it's not just all in your mind -- it's your thyroid out of whack again) ... reread K9MOM's post -- she's prob. right ... and why not call your doctor, if your having these symptoms? and either get him to call the consultant or call him yourself? ... i'm sure he'd want to know your condition, given that you've prob. swung into a hypO state ... really, sweetie, i think they'd be concerned if you told them, and if K9MOM's post is right -- you'd like some confirmation that your symptoms are "normal", right?

jb
~ symptoms of hypO are cold, tired/exhausted, weepy/depressed, brain fog (useless memory), and can overlap with those of hypER (agitated, racing heart) ...

~~ have you posted your numbers? i'm sure you have somewhere, but pls. post the numbers of your next blood tests -- we'd be interested ...

Last edited by jinglebts; 08-22-2004 at 11:55 AM. Reason: post numbers

Old 08-22-2004, 12:36 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

awww bless you jinglebts l could cry and cry you lot all understand when noone else does sob! ((hugs)) oh you are so right l do feel like lm getting the flu!!!! ive felt like this since last wednesday sob! I thought maybe they would ring me after blood test to say so but l havnt heard nothing ive got all these thoughts in my head am l been over medicated? surly its not possible to get hypo this quick!? maybe l need a larger dose? maybe l got something else seriously wrong? maybe lm going to die? omg l feel so bad l feel such a pest/ nuisance having to repeadly go to the doc ( never been this last week lol just for me blood at hospital) lve spent my life avoiding anything medical (apart from my 2 childrens births) now look at me????? No wonder they say lm 'interesting' when l go to the docs or hospital lm like a jigsaw puzzle ive even let medical students question me! Every doctor ive seen has said ' dont ever NOT come if you need us' but its hard not to feel like a pest thank you ALL again l will let you know what tommorow brings l will go see him and tell him ' l think ive gone hypo' after all it was me who told him l had hypert! Thank **** for you lot where would l be? xx

Old 08-22-2004, 12:37 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

ps i havnt got any of my test results lm too darn nice to ask for them!! lol l will pluck courage up and ask xx

Old 08-22-2004, 12:50 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi again sorry me and my terrible memory l forgot to mention when l get up in the morning l have my tablets 2 x 50mg ptu approx 3/6 hrs (the other 2 later in the evening) later l feel rotten does this still fit in with the theory l might be hypo? l want all angles covered for tommorow l will do some printing too l also thank you from the bottom of my heart honestly lm so grateful l couldnt find the words to explain how grateful l am for all your help thank you x

Old 08-22-2004, 01:33 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Hi again sorry me and my terrible memory l forgot to mention when l get up in the morning l have my tablets 2 x 50mg ptu approx 3/6 hrs (the other 2 later in the evening) later l feel rotten does this still fit in with the theory l might be hypo? l want all angles covered for tommorow l will do some printing too l also thank you from the bottom of my heart honestly lm so grateful l couldnt find the words to explain how grateful l am for all your help thank you x
there's a post from meep (resident expert) at:
http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?p=1118637#post1118637 and here it is:
Quote:
All your labs look similar to me and fit the pattern of someone who is UNDERtreated for their thyroid problem, despite your symptoms telling you otherwise. I'll explain:

Most people feel their best if their Free T3 and Free T4 are in the middle of the range or above. Yours are both consistently lower than the middle of the range.

TSH has NO correlation with symptoms once you are being treated. Most people report that they feel best twith TSH below 1, BUT that usually means that Free TT3 and Free T4 are up near the middle of their ranges. For many people, TSH is not a good gauge of thyroid health.

Now. I bet you're wondering why you are getting heart palps and other "hyper" symptoms, aren't you? Have you looked at what happens if you are treated for thyroid disorders when you have adrenal fatigue? You get symptoms that mimic hyperthyroidism. This happens because your body's need for Cortisol is increased when you are getting used to your increased levels of thyroid hormone. When the adrenal glands can't produce enough Cortisol to deal with the stress of adjusting to the thyroid meds and your daily stresses, then theystart releasing more adrenalin, as well. it is the adrenaline that is most likely causing the "hyper" symptoms. If you can get your hands on a copy of Adrenal Fatigue: 21st Century Stress Syndrome, it woudl be WELL worth your time to read/

The eye symptoms you are experiencing are actually fairly common in hypo patients, and will get better as your T3 and T4 get up to where they should be."
you might want to go to the whole web address to find out just what he is referring to, and do remember that this is all written from the point of view of someone who is hypO, not hypER, and there is a difference (d'ja THINK? ) ...

i don't know about your dosage schedule b/c i'm hypO and take synthroid -- you might want to post a seperate thread about that, but in the meantime (for your bedtime reading ), here's another post by meep, about thyroid myths in general and the significance of one's TSH (bearing in mind that he is also hypo):
http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=103584&page=1&pp=5

so glad you got up the courage, be sure to ask for your numbers, and hmmm -- did you say
Quote:
Every doctor i've seen has said 'don't ever NOT come if you need us'
?

then please don't think you're being a pest -- the vast majority of doctors don't actually want you to die!!

jb

Old 08-22-2004, 01:49 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Red face Re: Could l of turned hypo this quick????

[QUOTE=jinglebts]
you might want to go to the whole web address to find out just what he is referring to, and do remember that this is all written from the point of view of someone who is hypO, not hypER, and there is a difference (d'ja THINK? ) ...
Quote:
i foolishly said d'ja THINK? )
when i shouldn't have ... hypO/hypER symptoms have such an overlap -- 40 lashes with a wet noodle for me!!

jb

Old 08-22-2004, 02:51 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanx again (((((hugs))))) l dont know where the heck to start lm more confused now than ever lol maybe its cos of the way lm feeling my eyes looking rather scary lm defintely not rining doc lm going to go see him does this get any better for everyone? Or am l a lost cause lol here pass them darn noodles! LOL thanx again hun xx

Old 08-22-2004, 03:54 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Thanx again (((((hugs))))) l dont know where the heck to start lm more confused now than ever lol maybe its cos of the way lm feeling my eyes looking rather scary lm defintely not rining doc lm going to go see him does this get any better for everyone? Or am l a lost cause lol here pass them darn noodles! LOL thanx again hun xx
post a new thread, something like "scared and bulgy-eyed" or "eyes looking scary" -- that should get their attention!

and yes, go to the doctor -- away with you!!

good luck,
jb

Old 08-23-2004, 03:52 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hello hun xxx lm off to docs mid afternoon my eyes looking alot better now (bloody tricks of the body!) its no longer red raw lm amazed to find that it seems to be more common that people with hypo have lots of eye problems too when l was first led to beleive that it was us 'hypers' who only got the problems! My knight in shining armour doc isnt in today so l am seeing another doc (hey nearly seen them all now in my gps practice lol)shes not long been a doc (about 9mths) but l will keep her right lol l will have her ring up my labs etc lve wrote some notes so l dont forget anything frame of my minds a bit better so far had my 2 ptus this morning probally start going down hill in another few hours fingers crossed l dont had enough now of just breathing and no living! Thanx again for al your help will get back on soon as l get home and let you know how it went take care hun xxx love niecseyx

Closed Thread