It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2004, 03:13 PM   #1

greta2 HB User
Levoxyl and sore throat

Hi. I was diagnosed hypo after a routine blood test at a physical 6 weeks ago. Then I got a letter and a prescription for Levoxyl. The only thing my doctor has told me is that my TSH was 5.4. I actually have always had most of the symptoms of "hyper"thyroid and am surprised to be hypo.

Anyway....I have been taking 50 mcg of levoxyl for 6 weeks now and have had a sore throat for over a week. My doctor told me that there is nothing wrong with my throat. (He barely checked it along with my nose & my ears). Could this be related to the medication? I'm not hoarse; my throat just feels very scratchy all of the time. It is maddening.

Thanks.

Old 08-21-2004, 05:46 PM   #2

zheekie HB User
Re: Levoxyl and sore throat

Hello. I am too on Levoxyl. When I first started the medicine it made me have a sore throat too. I have been off and on the medicine for about a yr now. If I stop using the Medicine and start right back up, i get a sore throat. I questioned my Dr. He didn't have any answers for me too.

Angie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2005, 10:32 AM   #3
(female)

COB56 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by greta2
Hi. I was diagnosed hypo after a routine blood test at a physical 6 weeks ago. Then I got a letter and a prescription for Levoxyl. The only thing my doctor has told me is that my TSH was 5.4. I actually have always had most of the symptoms of "hyper"thyroid and am surprised to be hypo.

Anyway....I have been taking 50 mcg of levoxyl for 6 weeks now and have had a sore throat for over a week. My doctor told me that there is nothing wrong with my throat. (He barely checked it along with my nose & my ears). Could this be related to the medication? I'm not hoarse; my throat just feels very scratchy all of the time. It is maddening.

Thanks.
The sore throat and Levoxyl problem, did it ever get resolved and how?
I've been on Levoxyl less than a week and my throat is sore and I am getting hoarse too. The first day I didn't take it with enough water as instructed in the drug's insert, because the pharmacist didn't put those instructions on the bottle.
When I called the makers of Levoxyl, they have informed the pharmacists that it SHOULD be on the label. Anyway, ever since that first day, I have been taking with a full glass of water, but the sore throat persists.
Any resolutions for this would be appreciated.

Old 09-21-2005, 10:50 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

I have been on 50mcgs of generic levoxyl for 5 weeks and have not had a sore throat. It taste like powdered sugar.

Closed Thread