It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2004, 08:50 PM   #1

lostmale29 HB User
just want to know

hi every one. i just wanted to know if any body else has or is experincing what ive gone through and am going through. im a 29 yr old male three years ago i was diagnosed with graves disease. to make a long story short , if i can iwas on tapazole for a year didnt work of course the endo. right away said if i wanted to get over this take the rai. it did not work ,back on tapazole for 6 months then again i was told i would need another rai. guess what id did not work.not to mention that through all this i was told by the endo that it was a terrible disease but these meds/ iodine treatments would take care of everything. well needless to say i blame alot on my self because it wasnt till later i stared to realize and do reasearch on the disease and treatment options tll i was already entangled in this mess and through this period now working on 2 years i developed terrible anxziety and a loss for all hope of feeling better.as a matter of fact after the depression and anxziety stared i complained constantly and the endo and my primary care physician told me basically it was in my head wich inturn fuled this even more.well like i said i would try and make this short as of may of this year we discussed my wife and me and the doctor that the ********ctomy was my last and best option.ok here is the kicker two blood tests later and on syntroid im am i guess supose to be normal. i feel like a truck has ran over me. after the second rai i stared to develop terrible muscel cramps in my back,neck feet and toes , have had terrible headaches,and one of the noticable symptoms was a rapid heartbeat from the begining now that i got that out all this was supose to go away .fourmonths later still the same symptoms, but am suppose to be getting better.it is like one day i feel hyper one day i feel hypo.anyway i have two young kids and am pretty young myself i have no energy , am the main bread winner of the family and sometimes fight tooth and nail to get up and make it through the day. i know this was a lot of venting is it time i need still for all the side affects to go away or look in to other things i dont know about. its alittle hard to find info about thyroid disease in males.i have gone an seen a rheumatoid arthritis doctor had some tests all seems cool. am i stressed beyond belife im a lost male. i apoligize if none of this makes sense please reply . email me . it was nice just to vent this out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2004, 08:00 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: just want to know

Use the Advanced Search feature on this Board to look for posts by Meep. (If you can't figure out how to use the feature, just ask.) Meep is a guy in his mid-30's who has hypoT... not due to treatment for hyper... but hypo is treated pretty much the same whatever the cause. He's feeling so well, he now has a challenging new job that keeps him away from us more than we like. He has so much to teach, you'll be amazed.

Also, you'll need to know the basics of what thyroid hormone does and how to get optimal treatment for yourself. I suspect your doctor is treating you based only on your TSH level. If he is, that's why you feel so bad. You need to learn what TSH and the thyroid hormones do, and what levels they need to be before one feels well. Start reading our "Information Archive" sticky thread at the top of the subject page. Not all the information will be applicable in your case, but it's a start. Also, get a copy of Thyroid for Dummies by Alan Rubin, MD. After that, you can progress to Solved: The Riddle of Illness by Stephen Langer, MD... which will give you strategies for getting a doctor to prescribe a high enough dose of med that will make you feel well.

You need a better doctor. The guy you're with obviously thinks everything's fixed by giving the dose of Synth determined by what he was taught in med school rather than by how the patient responds to it. It doesn't have to be that way. There are doctors who will listen caringly and appropriately prescribe for your condition. It sometimes takes a good deal of effort to find one like this, but it can be done.

Even though we are mostly women here, we feel your frustration. Most of us have had our symptoms ignored in favor of textbook "rules" at one time or another. I hope we can help you in your search for health.
Meanwhile, hang in there.

Old 08-21-2004, 08:10 AM   #3
Inactive

hypodude HB User

I just posted this for another messager...might help to at least look into it...

Also, you did not post what your labs are like? Are you all over the boards from test to test?

Reposted:
Oddly enough I just spoke to someone from the National Graves Disease Foundation yesterday in an attempt to get cured from similar symptoms....

Do a google search on "hashitoxicosis" and see if that is similar to what you experience. This is almost precisely what I experience and I've never heard that before speaking with this lady after extensive research. Anyway, she told me to have my doc check specifically for Graves antibodies and hashi's antibodies. The treatment that was suggested to pass on to my doc was anit-thyroid meds along with carefully monitored synthroid....basically treat both symptoms of hyper and hypo.

Old 08-21-2004, 02:42 PM   #4

lostmale29 HB User

hi thank u to all who replied. sorry about the jumbled up mess im not the best at typing.maybe be you didnt catch there in the middle but i also had the total ********ctomy. anyway here are my last labs. t4,direct 1.15 ng/dl
tsh 3.213 uiu/ml and t3 135ng/dl . im not really sure what they mean i got a little idea. im just still foggy headed ,fatigued, and i still take atenlol for a rapid heart beat. i have a book thyroid solutions its pretty good but there dosent seem to be , well every body they talk about seems to recover so there are not many examples of what didnt work you know.again thanks for replies this is the first message board that i have found that actually is current. have a great one.

Closed Thread