It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2004, 07:15 AM   #1
Inactive

hypodude HB User
Is there a definitive antibodies test for hashis?

I am curious exactly how hashis is diagnosed if anyone out there knows. I was told recently that there is a test called hashi antibodies and graves antibodies....different tests supposedley. Has anyone had either of these and if so, do you know what the names of each of these antibodies are? I believe the test for Graves is the TSI test...can someone confirm?

I am going to my endo this week armed with a friggin arsenal of information and refuse to walk out of there unfixed and undiagnosed again. Any help would be appreciated. Just spent a day in the ER due to a "flare up" with rapid pulse and bloop pressure through the roof, yest my TSH which was 15 2 months ago and 9 last week and 6 2 days ago is all over the boards and every doc is chalking it up to anxiety.

Old 08-21-2004, 07:55 AM   #2
Inactive

westin4 HB User
Re: Is there a definitive antibodies test for hashis?

hypo,
I was just diagnosed with hasimotos disease 3 months ago...........I have all they symptoms but my bloodwork is normal. They diagnosed mine with a biopsy of the nodule I have. My thyroid has been enlarged for about 5 years and since my bloodwork was always "normal" that was it. Well after the biopsy came back as hashi's then she tested me for the antibodies which came back positive of course!
The antibody test I had run was the thyroglobulin and the thyroid peroxidase.

Good luck and hope this helps.
Karen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2004, 08:18 AM   #3
Inactive

hypodude HB User

By any chance does that fine needle biopsy thing hurt? I cringe at the notion of someone sticking a needle into my neck.

Old 08-21-2004, 08:26 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

K9Mom HB User

TPO antibodies are the test for Hashi's. It stands for Thyroid Perioxidase. TPO causes thyroid cell destruction.

Old 08-21-2004, 10:57 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User

FYI -- I had a fine needle biopsy and it did not hurt at all. I've read others say it was uncomfortable. I don't know if it's just how good the doctor is (kind of like different nurses are good with drawing blood while others suck) or what, but he drew 5 or 6 times I believe and it was over in a jif.

Old 08-21-2004, 11:28 AM   #6
Inactive

westin4 HB User

hypo,
The fna biopsy didn't hurt at all.........the anticipation was MUCH worse than the procedure. They give you a shot of lidacain in the neck so it is very numb. They 7 samples of tissue and it was over so quick. I was a little sore the next day and looked like I had a hickey!
Karen

Old 08-21-2004, 01:47 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Ellyn HB User

I have had the blood tests Thyroid Peroxidase AB, Thyroglobulin AB. I had it checked in Jan and My Antibodies were 3,383 anf they just checked them again and I'm down to 1030. Yeah for me!!!!

I also had a Nodule biopsy. It did not hurt just felt some pressure. I did feel a pinch when they numbed the site. Afterwards I was kinda sore but I had dinner and such and a few days later you had no idea of anything. It also found me to have lots of Hashi.

Closed Thread