It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2004, 07:26 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User
Re: New Thyroid test results

Well, here are my latest thryoid test results, go back for my 6 month thryoid scan next Thursday, they're watching this little tiny nodule I have. I also had my cortisol ran by my gyne, not because of fatigue but because of tremors and anxiety and also I have PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder). Anyone here know about an ACHT test where your adrenaline glands are tested for stress? Anyone have expert input on this is greatly appreciated. I haven't spoken to my gyne yet, I know that she said I'm in perimenopause which is hell itself to go through, but I know she'll say these tests are normal cause they're in normal range, no doctor I have ever been to has treated me for normal low or normal high problems with my thyroid.

Thyroid: TSH=1.259 Normal Ranges: 0.40-4.10
FT4 0.88 Normal Ranges: 0.70-2.20

Thyroglob Auto AB (Units/ML) <2 Reference Range <2.0
MCSM/Thyroid Peroxidase AB: <2 Reference Range <2.0

Cortisol AM (mcg/dL): 7.64 (I did this around 9:00 am) fasting
Reference Range: 6.2-19.4

Old 08-21-2004, 08:29 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

K9Mom HB User

I believe cortisol should be it's highest in the early morning...thus the reason for the test being done early AM. Yours looks a bit on the low end to me....but I basically know nothing about adrenals. I did have the ACTH test done 2 years ago.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2004, 10:58 AM   #3
(female)

opalfire HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainfante
Well, here are my latest thryoid test results, go back for my 6 month thryoid scan next Thursday, they're watching this little tiny nodule I have. I also had my cortisol ran by my gyne, not because of fatigue but because of tremors and anxiety and also I have PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder). Anyone here know about an ACHT test where your adrenaline glands are tested for stress? Anyone have expert input on this is greatly appreciated. I haven't spoken to my gyne yet, I know that she said I'm in perimenopause which is hell itself to go through, but I know she'll say these tests are normal cause they're in normal range, no doctor I have ever been to has treated me for normal low or normal high problems with my thyroid.

Thyroid: TSH=1.259 Normal Ranges: 0.40-4.10
FT4 0.88 Normal Ranges: 0.70-2.20

Thyroglob Auto AB (Units/ML) <2 Reference Range <2.0
MCSM/Thyroid Peroxidase AB: <2 Reference Range <2.0

Cortisol AM (mcg/dL): 7.64 (I did this around 9:00 am) fasting
Reference Range: 6.2-19.4
Hi! Bad luck that you haven't found a doc that will treat you. Try callling some osteopathic or naturalistic docs, but ask if they use the Free T3, Free T4, and order Armour thyroid...before making an appointment. These docs are usually more flexible in their care, and listen to you rather than your lab work.
You're definitely hypothyroid and should have been recognized. Your TSH should be below "1" for a woman (I guess you are since you're going through menopause?). Your FT4 should be closer to "2" before you'll feel more comfortable and stop having most of your symptoms. I had the same problem, the doctor said I was "normal". Guess what? There are no "normals" in thyroid therapy, only "ranges". The healthy range for women for the FT4 is closer to the upper third of the range (if you have no cardiac issues)......and yours is definitely on the floor. Everyone has their own "setpoint" and until you reach yours, you're going to continue feeling bad (hence the reason you need a doc that will listen to YOU). As soon as I got within range of my setpoint, all, and I mean ALL, of my menopausal symptoms disappeared! That's not to say everyone is like that, but a better-than-fair percentage experience nearly all of their symptoms getting milder, if not downright GONE! By the way.....I bet your periods were not fun either, with lots of cramping? That's the story of my life!
Let us know if you have any more questions!
Judy
P. S. Sorry, I forgot to mention that I also have PTSD from having survived the Hungarian Revolution in 1956 (you don't need to tell us yours). Not something that I will ever forget, wasn't pretty, memories won't leave me alone. Being hypothyroid made it worse....somewhat under control now, not a daily struggle, but still crops up frequently.

Last edited by opalfire; 08-21-2004 at 11:02 AM.

Old 08-22-2004, 12:54 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by opalfirejucika
Hi! Bad luck that you haven't found a doc that will treat you. Try callling some osteopathic or naturalistic docs, but ask if they use the Free T3, Free T4, and order Armour thyroid...before making an appointment. These docs are usually more flexible in their care, and listen to you rather than your lab work.
You're definitely hypothyroid and should have been recognized. Your TSH should be below "1" for a woman (I guess you are since you're going through menopause?). Your FT4 should be closer to "2" before you'll feel more comfortable and stop having most of your symptoms. I had the same problem, the doctor said I was "normal". Guess what? There are no "normals" in thyroid therapy, only "ranges". The healthy range for women for the FT4 is closer to the upper third of the range (if you have no cardiac issues)......and yours is definitely on the floor. Everyone has their own "setpoint" and until you reach yours, you're going to continue feeling bad (hence the reason you need a doc that will listen to YOU). As soon as I got within range of my setpoint, all, and I mean ALL, of my menopausal symptoms disappeared! That's not to say everyone is like that, but a better-than-fair percentage experience nearly all of their symptoms getting milder, if not downright GONE! By the way.....I bet your periods were not fun either, with lots of cramping? That's the story of my life!
Let us know if you have any more questions!
Judy
P. S. Sorry, I forgot to mention that I also have PTSD from having survived the Hungarian Revolution in 1956 (you don't need to tell us yours). Not something that I will ever forget, wasn't pretty, memories won't leave me alone. Being hypothyroid made it worse....somewhat under control now, not a daily struggle, but still crops up frequently.

I really appreciate your help here. And you are so right. But trying to get these docs to give you the medical attention you need is like pulling teeth without anesthesia. Also, taking another thyroid scan on Thursday. I have a small goiter and very very tiny nodule. I was hyperthyroid back in the 80's, got that taken care finally, was a fight and struggle, actually got it taken care of out of the U.S. Now here I go again. I forever have anxiety and trembles. Oh boy, can't find an osteopath that is covered by insurance. My insurance does accept Chiropracters. What do you think?

Andrea

Old 08-29-2004, 12:19 PM   #5
(female)

opalfire HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainfante
I really appreciate your help here. And you are so right. But trying to get these docs to give you the medical attention you need is like pulling teeth without anesthesia. Also, taking another thyroid scan on Thursday. I have a small goiter and very very tiny nodule. I was hyperthyroid back in the 80's, got that taken care finally, was a fight and struggle, actually got it taken care of out of the U.S. Now here I go again. I forever have anxiety and trembles. Oh boy, can't find an osteopath that is covered by insurance. My insurance does accept Chiropracters. What do you think?

Andrea
Hi Andrea......sorry, I've been away again (vacation is so hard to recover from). Oddly enough, a chiropractor may be your only way to go...if he'll follow the suggestions about using Free T3, Free T4, and Armour. Always remember that the lab should read in the upper part of the ranges for both. You just won't feel well if you're not. Always get copies of your labs, don't take the docs word for "normal" readings....ain't no such thing! Start your Armour at 60 mg (if you have no cardiac issues) for one to two weeks, and then jump to 90 mg. Stay there for at least 6 weeks before getting the labs done again. You do not require any other lab. Most of the "standard" labs are hocus-pocus even to the doc, mostly they're labs done to test other labs...and guess what?......you get to pay for them! Doesn't that make you feel warm and fuzzy?
Keep us posted!
Judy

Closed Thread