It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2004, 04:47 PM   #1
(female)

TinyTot2 HB User
Unhappy Armour and bcp

Hi all.

I am on 1 grain of Armour and a few months ago stopped taking my Yasmin birth control. I thought the bcp was making me a little moody and depressed (ok... very moody) so thought it might be good to stop taking it for a while. Needless to say, I gained a little weight and started breaking out so I got freaked out. I am by far not overweight... might actually be underweight (4' 11" tall and 94 pounds... was 90 lbs), but gained the 4 pounds so quickly that I went back on the Yasmin in the hopes to slow it down a bit. Of course the moodies came back now and pimples won't go away. I was hoping that somebody can suggest a bcp that will not cause weight gain, acne, and definitely keep the bad moods away.

Somebody please help me! I had been feeling so good for such a long time.
Grrrr.

Thanks!

Old 08-21-2004, 07:29 PM   #2

EmmaGx HB User
Re: Armour and bcp

Did you have your thyroid levels checked after you stopped the BCP? Estrogens increase the levels of TBP [Thyroid Binding Protein] in the blood, and so if you stop taking a BCP your thyroid hormone requirements will change.

Take Care!
EmmaGx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2004, 09:47 AM   #3
(female)

TinyTot2 HB User

Honestly I can't remember whether or not I was on the Yasmin the last time I had my thyroid levels checked. Maybe I just need to wait a bit for the bcp to start correcting the problems again... hopefully the nasties will go away.

Old 08-31-2004, 06:30 PM   #4
(female)

kimnyc HB User

I just saw this post and was wondering...

I had my dosage of Levothroid upped to 50 mcg (going on 3 weeks ago) and subsequently decided to go off Ortho-Cyclen. I have to say that I feel pretty awesome lately. I've become convinced that bcp are evil - I was bloated, depressed, etc. It seemed that every liquid I took into my body stayed in my body!

Anyway... should I be informing my endo that I stopped the bcp? I don't have any complaints - maybe some trouble sleeping lately which I have attributed to the upcoming school year (I'm a teacher) but no other signs that I've turned hyper.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Closed Thread