It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2004, 06:02 PM   #1

lostmale29 HB User
a quick question

could some body help me understand my labs ,they are as follows;

t4, free direct 1.15ng/dl 0.61-1.76

tsh 3.213 uiu/ml 0.350-5.500

t3 135ng/dl 85-205

these are lab results 4 months after total thyroid removal the doc says im normal. am i what are the second set of numbers are they a range of norm?
i was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism 3 years ago and after 2 failed rai i had the surgery .im a little frazzeled i still dont feel up to par. not much energy ,foggyheadedness, i gained a ton of weight since the begining of this and when. i started the levoxyl(0.2mg) i thought i would start to lose some i eat healthy but i dont have energy to exercise or if i do my legs cramp up or my back /top of my neck hurt. almost daily i feel like i have flu like symptoms , you know like when all your muscles and joints just ache and ache.inturn all this makes sort of a bear to be around does anybody have any suggestions,where i might stand.

Last edited by lostmale29; 08-22-2004 at 06:04 PM.

Old 08-22-2004, 07:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: a quick question

Yes, the numbers in the brackets are the lab's "normal" range. But what your doctor apparently doesn't know is that each person has one number within that range that is "normal" for him/her, and any other number is not normal for that person, even if it is within the range. Think of it this way: the average range of shoe sizes for men is 8-12 D. That doesn't mean every man will be comfortable in a 10 1/2.
Most people feel best when their free T4 and free T3 are above the middle of the lab's range. (Women usually need the values a little higher than men.)

Your free T4 at 1.15 is low. Mid-range is 1.18. My guess is that you'd feel best around 1.3 or more. The T3 test you had is not the most useful for monitoring your treatment, because it measures both the free T3 and the T3 that is bound up in protein and therefore is not readily available for your cells' use. But even this test says that your free T3 is likely very low, because the total T3 is below mid-range. There's no way the free T3 is high enough if the total is that low.

TSH for 95% of the population who have no thyroid disease is around 1.0. You can see how high yours is in comparison. The truth is that TSH shouldn't matter anyway if you're taking thyroid med. It can safely be totally suppressed if your free hormones aren't excessive. But most doctors think that merely lowering the TSH into the lab's "normal" range is sufficient to treat hypoT. It isn't.

If you can't convince your doctor to raise your dose based on the fact that you still suffer all the symptoms of hypoT, you may have to find one who knows more about the disorder. The one you have apparently doesn't know much.

Your best bet will be to educate yourself about your condition so you can discuss the issue with your practitioner. Keep reading till your brain can absorb no more. An educated patient nearly always will do better in treatment than one who leaves "the driving" to the MD.
Just ask if you need any more information.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread