It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2004, 07:51 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

patience 50 HB User
Got records in less than 24 hours.

Hi to all those who were rooting for me,

Former Dr. office called at 9:10AM Friday morning. They had records all copied and ready to pick up. A little more than 24 hours after I was told it would take yet another 10 days or more to get all those permissions. Guess they only needed my consent after all, Hee Hee.

I have not had time to read them in depth but here are some things that jumped out at me just looking through them yesterday. Had grandkids this weekend and didn't want to get into the records with them running around and interrupting me.

New patient, 2/17/1999
Patienct appears nervous. Lowering synthroid 150 mcg. to 125 mcg. Overall health appears to be good.

TSH .67 Normal 0.5 to 6

5/13/1999

Patient Pos. for UTI. Called for Cipro. Patient still appears anxious. Lowering synthroid 125 mcr. to 100 mcr. Patient appears to be in overall good health but discussed complete physical. Patient perfers a woman for exam so will sechedule appt with L.K.

7/18/1999

Patient complaining of aches and fatigue but appears to be in overall good health, even, smoothe gate when walking. Patient has gained 4 lbs since last visit. Physical exam reveals nothing unusual.

A later note to that page said all tests done were normal.

TSH 1.38 Normal 0.5 to 6

3/22/2000

Patient has blood work for synthroid. Patient says tired a lot with aches. Patient has gained 12 lb. However, patient appears to be in overall good health. Suspect depression. Should discuss treatment if symptoms persist. Renew synthroid 100mcg.

TSH 2.68 Normal 0.5 to 6

Should mention I had 2 UTIs that year.

3/16/2001

Patient has physical and blood work for prescription. Patient mentions aches and pains getting worse. More tired all the time. Patient has gained 11 lb. in past year. Discuss proper diet and fatigue probaby due to menopause and weight gain. Explained to patient these things happen as we age. Patient appears to understand. Physical exam reveals nothing unusual. Renew synthroid 100 mcg.

TSH 3.9 Normal 0.5 to 6

Had 2 UTIs again this year.

3/2002

Patient has scheduled blood work and physical. Patient gained 12 lbs again this past year. Complains of worsening joint pain, heat in joints, fatigue. Discussed proper diet with patient. Recommended time with nutritionist. Patient also complained of cognitive issues. Took new job at bank and having trouble learning new things. Physical revealed nothing unusual. Patient appears to be in overall good health. Renew synthroid 100 mcg.

TSH 4.8 Normal 0.5 to 6

Suffered 5 UTIs in this year and on one of the test result pages a notation was made. ( tests indicate patient has had some sort of granulosous disease episode, possibly lupus.) Why this was never followed up I have no idea.

2/2003

Patient has scheduled blood work and physical. Patient has gained another 8 lbs. Patient complains of aches and pains in back and joints with muscle spasms. Encourage patient to diet and seek cousel of nutritionist. Patient no longer employed. Discussed importance of reg. exercise. Physical revealed nothing unusual. Renew synthroid 100 mcg.

TSH 5.7 Normal 0.5 to 6

Had 5 UTIs in this year also. 3 of these needed 2 courses of antibiotics to get rid of blood and protein in urine.

3/2004

Patient has blood work and physical. Patient complains of what she feels is extreem fatigue. Needs naps every day now. Also constant discomfort in joints. Discussed with patient the need for reg exercise. This would help feel better. Patient says they purchased a treadmill and recumbant bike over a year ago and she tries to do 3 miles every other day on treadmill and bike in between. I suspect not. Patient gained 4 lbs this year. Patient appears to be in overall good health. Physical reveals nothing unusual. Renew synthroid 100 mcg

TSH 14.8 Normal 0.5 to 6

Increase synthroid to 125 mcg. Patient also has high sugar. Need to bring in for discussion on diet. Sugar may be causeing UTIs as she is now borderline diabetic. Cholesterol also needs to be addressed as it is borderline.

I had 5 UTIs again this year.

Of course there was much more with all the UTIs and test results concerning them over the years and I was dieting and decreasing cals over the past 3 years but these were what I felt were the hight lights of the past 5 years. I don't think anyone will ever convince me again that weight gain is not closely related to low thyroid. I realise menopause probably helped some butttttt. I see a definite trend here.

After this I will always ask for copies of all test results and ask them to be explained to me in detail and then still come home and try to research them myself. This has gotten long and I really want to thank all of you for hanging in there and getting through it all. All I can really say to this is get your own test results too. Don't ever be satisfied with a phone call that says everything is normal.

May God Bless You All
Patience 50

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2004, 09:04 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

patience 50 HB User
Re: Got records in less than 24 hours.

For got to mention earlier, Glow in the dark heart test revealed nothing we didn't already know. Cardiac problems for now appear to be minor, thank heaven.

Bonnie

Old 08-23-2004, 10:13 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User

Hi hun xx glad you got them!!!

Old 08-23-2004, 11:40 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bellajoon HB User

I am glad you got them and didn't have to hire a lawyer! Boy, your TSH kept rising with each test! These doctors kill me.

Old 08-23-2004, 12:31 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Don't apologize for the length of your post. I was absolutely spellbound, my mouth agape. Each year, higher TSH, more weight gain, more fatigue, more aches, more infections.
If I didn't have some idea of the hundreds of miles that separate you and me, I'd think this doctor was the same one I started out with. He was an idiot, too. Kept pushing drugs and a diet plan in my face instead of finding out where the problems originated. I was lucky that I'm not the picture of 'patience', or I might have held on to him far too long, too!

It just goes to show you.... If it ducks like a quack, it must be a quack... (or something like that ~chuckle~ )

Old 08-23-2004, 03:02 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

patience 50 HB User

It's just so interesting isn't it? Especially the weight, aches, and TSH. You really have to know as long as my TSH was rising it wasn't going to matter what else I did. Oh those Doc.s who live by normal ranges. You just can't reason with them.

And it's no small wonder my lower extremities hurt so much. All those extra lbs!!!! Makes me so hopping mad!!!!

By the way, last blood work showed TSH 1.2 T4 upper half and T3 upper quater of that normal range. I don't have the report in front of me but I was pleased. Weight is not coming off but I'm not gaining either.

Now we just have to find a way to keep it all where it is and deal with the Lupus. I also think bringing my thyroid hormones up to where they should be is a big part of what took me out of that 7 month Lupus flare. I began to feel much better the longer I was on the increased dosage. I think Midwest said it before, "If the thyroid ain't right, ain't nothin right." If you didn't say it Midwest, I bet you agree with it.

I do so wish I had taken a pro-active role in my own health a long time ago. I sincerely hope anyone else who may read this and isn't asking for test results and asking a lot of other questions begins to. WE only get one life here on earth. Don't let some Dr. who doesn't care take the fun of living away from you.

OK, I'm off my soap box. May God Bless You
Patience 50

Old 08-23-2004, 04:33 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

K9Mom HB User

Excellent points there Patience! Especially this gem:

Don't let some Dr. who doesn't care take the fun of living away from you.

Isn't that the truth!!!

I'm so glad you got your records. Eye opening isn't it? One thing is for sure....no doctor will EVER get away with treating you the way that this one did. You know better now...and as Oprah says, when we know better we do better!

Old 08-23-2004, 04:42 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

patience 50 HB User

You are so right K9Mom. It is difficult for me to be assertive many times though. However these past years of feeling so poorly will help me I'm sure.

Can you explain to me what Graves Disease is? I was reading a book on Lupus this past week and the author used Hashi's and Graves interchangebly in a couple of places. I thought they were different things but now not sure.

May God Bless You
Patience 50

Old 08-23-2004, 04:57 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

K9Mom HB User

Some researchers believe that Graves and Hashi's are the same disease...just opposite ends of the spectrum with Graves being the hyper end and Hashi's being the lower end.

Both are caused by autoantibodies that our bodies start producing for some unknown reason. TSI causes Graves and TPO causes Hashi's...though many Graves patients also test positive for TPO but in lower titres than Hashi patients.

Old 08-23-2004, 05:58 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

patience 50 HB User

Thanks K9Mom,

I have been doing so much reading and researching that things are beginning to run together and I just didn't realize how the two could be interchangeable. Now that you mention they are oposites of the same problem, it makes sense in the context the author used it.

May God Bless You
Patience 50

Old 08-23-2004, 06:17 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

SarahF HB User

That is absolutely amazing to see how your rising TSH and increasing symptoms had a complete! one to one correlation. Sorry - it's the mathemetician in me. Thanks for sharing your history.

Old 08-23-2004, 06:33 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

patience 50 HB User

What I find amazing is that the Dr.s wouldn't listen. It's as if they never went back and looked at their own records. I'm sure I'm not the only woman who has been given the same medical platitudes in the name of menopause. I wonder if this were a primarily male disease if the treatment would be the same. Heaven only knows they have enough answers for those problems and everyone gets to hear about it. That however, is a whole other subject. I'm so thankful I seem to have a better physician now.

May God Bless You
Patience 50

Old 08-23-2004, 07:42 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User

Thank you so much for sharing that with us. Your records don't look all that different from mine. Some of the same type of comments I heard from my doctor too. U think they all used the same textbooks in med school. You know, the ones that say "don't take the patient seriously because you know more than they do".
Anyway, I'm really happy that you got assertive and they finally did their job.
Take care!
Barb

Old 08-24-2004, 06:38 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

patience 50 HB User

I know what you mean Bossmom. I have been rarely sick over the years. When I get sick, I get very sick, but there are years inbetween illnesses where no one could be any healthier than I. I suppose that is why I listen to my body. If it doesn't feel right, there is probably something going on. I am so disappointed in the medical profession as a whole that they don't listen to patients more. As long as the numbers are in that Holy Normal Range, they just close their minds. It's as if no one ever told them a range is just that, highs and lows averaged together. Some do better in the low end and some do better at the high.

To be completely honest, I can't say there weren't times when I would over eat. I remember days when I felt so tired and I would think, " If I just get a bite to eat I'll get some energy for a while. " So a few of the lbs every year were probably from taking in too many cals.

The other thing that gets me is how they didn't follow through with that granulosous or Lupus possibility when it showed up on the kidney tests. How could they ignore that.

I suppose the best thing to come of it is that I will listen even more closely to what my body tells from now on and not let anyone tell me there is nothing wrong. I have always said, we live with our own bodies and no one knows us better than we do. Physicians need to start treating medical problems and doing their jobs instead of just prescribing feel good pills so the whole world is drugged up. Some need antidepressants, but I just can't find it in me to believe that the masses need them the way the Dr.s prescribe them.

Now I've climbed on that soap box again. Like anyone cares what I think.
May God Bless You All.
Patience 50

Old 08-24-2004, 06:48 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User

Hi Patience (((hugs))) l hope your feeling ok you mentioned something about kidney test and lupus could you fill me in with the details please if your up to it? Take care love niecsey xx

Closed Thread