It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2004, 10:45 AM   #1
Veteran

armadillo pie HB User
How Do you know?

I have not had my thyroid tested but was reading some of the posts here and am wondering if I should. I am in peri-menopause and feeling it! I have some symptoms which I think are related to this but am wondering if my thyroid or adrenals are low. The most obviouse is extreme low energy. I wake up in the morning feeling alright ( not great- but I function). I can go about my day doing whatever I need to do and then anywhere between 11 a.m. forward I get extreme fatigue where my mind is fuzzy and all I want to do it lay down and sleep. Right now I am on vacation so I can do that but go back to work in a week.For the peri-menospause I take natural progesteron cream and I go to accupunture weekly which had helped with it a lot. But the extreme fatigue continues. I can sleep for a hour or so wake and go about the rest of the day. By 10 p.m. I am exhausted and usually can fall asleep right away.
So anyone have any thoughts on this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2004, 08:41 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB User
Re: How Do you know?

Might not be a bad idea, thyroid problems tend to show up about that time, during perimenopause or menopause.
If you do get tested, don't settle for the standard tests the drs generally do, they really don't tell much at all and a problem can be missed.
Here is a list of tests that really should be done, don't settle just for TSH.

Free T3
Free T4
Total T3
Total T4
TSH
Thyroid antibody testing, TPO and TSI.

The FREE tests are your actual active thyroid hormones, the Total tests are active and bound hormone, the TSH is a pituitary response (not a thyroid hormone) the antibody testing tells whether you have antibodies associated with Hashimoto's or Graves. Hashimotos is the leading cause of hypo-T.

Also, don't settle for the dr saying your tests are normal, when it comes to thyroid, there is no normal. Just being "in range" does not mean all is well, where in the range your numbers fall does make a lot of difference. If you want you can post the results and ranges here on the boards once you get them, we will help you understand them.

Keep in mind most GP's have about 1 hour training on thyroid and many admit they don't even know how to read the bloodwork results.

Keep us posted.

Last edited by dea4; 08-24-2004 at 08:43 AM. Reason: spelling goof

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread