It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2004, 11:34 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

heddy73 HB User
3 months on Synthroid...new #'s

I was having dizzy spells a few weeks ago so my doc ordered blood work. She was thinking too much thyroid med or my sugar levels were off. Here's my numbers...these are the only tests she ordered....
TSH 0.64(range 0.49-4.(the last number was blurry on the page))
Free T4 0.92 (range of .71-1.(number was blurry also))
Glucose 102(range 76-115)
She said it was ok and now I'm supposed to take 25mg of Synthroid every other day. I'm wondering if thats the connection. I'm feeling ok now not too many dizzy spells. I hate how long this takes to get the right dose.
Anyone have a clue based on these tests? I know they aren't the full panel of tests.But any help would be appreciated.

Old 08-24-2004, 07:47 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB User
Re: 3 months on Synthroid...new #'s

Your Free T4 is too close to the bottom of the range, it should be in the upper 1/3. No wonder you are having dizzy spells, I'd be dizzy too.
Am I understanding she is lowering your meds? She should be raising them. Obviously she is watching the TSH not the frees, she NEEDS to basing treatment on your Free levels.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2004, 03:46 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

heddy73 HB User

Yup she wants to lower my meds but I feel better taking it every day. I would think she would increase it from what I understand it is a small dose so why make it smaller? I seriously think maybe I was not eating enough. But am new to the whole thyroid thing. Would increasing help do you think.Like to 50mg or should I just follow her advice. I get mixed answers.

Old 08-25-2004, 05:58 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB User

With your Free T4 as low as it is, I would be increasing not decreasing. I have a feeling she is looking at the TSH and basing the treatment on that, but its the FREE levels you have to watch, those are your actual thyroid hormones. 25mcg is considered a non dose in the first place, its not enough to sustain your levels and its not, your Free level is too low it should be quite a bit higher.

Old 08-26-2004, 05:17 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

heddy73 HB User

Should I go to the 50mcg level or do every other day with 50mcg then 25 mcg? I'm just not sure. I have had a couple of dizzy spells but not too bad in the last couple of days and I can tell I'm getting more tired and sluggish feeling being on the every other day dose of 25mcg.I figured you guys would help better than the dr. She seems great but I wait for 1 hr to get in a spend 5 min. in her office. I'm glad she got me my dx but I guess I'm not getting it clear to her.I'm not getting these numbers either. I don't know what a TSH means other than what the definition in the dictionary says...I don't know what my level should be.Its so confusing. Should my dose change from day to day?

Old 08-26-2004, 07:05 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Quote:
She seems great but...
This doctor is not "great". She doesn't know what she's doing.
Dea4 is right. You need a dose increase, not a decrease. You were already on too low a dose even before you were told to decrease it.

Quote:
I don't know what a TSH means other than what the definition in the dictionary says...I don't know what my level should be.
TSH is a pituitary hormone that signals the thyroid gland to produce more or less thyroid hormone. Once you begin replacing the thyroid hormone from an outside source - that is, Synthroid - the TSH becomes irrelevant. It shouldn't even be considered in your treatment anymore.

I won't tell you how much Synthroid to take. That's what a good doctor is supposed to do. But I will tell you that you need more than you're getting.

Old 08-26-2004, 06:23 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

heddy73 HB User

Thanks I will keep pressing her .....would Armour be better than Synthroid? I hear both sides.... I guess I was blinded by her because she was the only one who would listen to my symptoms and treat or somewhat treat my hypo. I don't want to switch BUT will if I have too. Its my life. I'm sick of waiting to feel good. Thanks for your responses.

Old 08-26-2004, 06:28 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB User

It would be hard to tell you exactally what dose you really need, it may be something you have to tinker with to get it right for you. I can tell you that with your FT4 level, if it were me, I would go to 50mcg a day.
You NEED those Free levels in the upper 1/3 of the lab range. A good way to know where you need to be is to take the high and low number of the lab range and add them together, then divide that total by 2, that would give you mid range and you want to be above mid range.
Find you a dr that will watch those free levels, you need a dr to listen to you and your symptoms and not treat the lab sheet, your current dr is treating that lab sheet not you. Check into a DO or naturopath type dr, they tend to listen more and know more about the thyroid and how to treat it.
Keep us posted

Old 08-26-2004, 06:53 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB User

Armour would be better if it works for you. Most people feel a lot better on it verses just the T4 meds. If you can try it, go for it and see how you feel, bet it would help a lot. But, you will also have to tinker to find the right dose that works for you, but feeling well is worth it.

Old 08-28-2004, 05:00 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

heddy73 HB User

thanks Dea4....I forgot to call yesterday so I'll have to wait till monday. I'm going to call my dr office,if I get nowhere with her I'll just find a new one. I'm on a roll finding new doctors. This would make 5. I thought of just going to a Endocronologist.Maybe go straight to an expert. I know sometimes the fiddle around with your meds but I would feel better.

Old 08-29-2004, 09:41 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

heddy73 HB User

I went back to taking 25mg of Synthroid and I feel a little better. I know its a small dose but I sure felt worse when I didn't have it for 3 or 4 days. I think I need an increase. How long dose it really take till you get a dose that works? And when you do get to your ideal dose does it stay or does it change every so often? Just curious.....

Old 08-30-2004, 06:47 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB User

How long it takes really depends on you, how you react to meds, how bad your thyroid is etc. As your thyroid dies more you will continue to need a dose increase, some people reach their max dose within a short amount of time, others may take years.
The key is knowing your symptoms well and knowing when your dose is getting off so you can get an increase before it gets too bad, take note of the little things that may signal you arn't getting enough. My signals usually are a weak feeling that happens maybe once every few days, nausea, mild dizziness, a crawly feeling on my head, my cycle will get closer together, my lower legs will ache, etc, it may not be the same everytime, I may have only one or two of those symptoms or different ones, but as it goes longer without an increase the symptoms will increase.
Hang in there, it will get better, learn all you can about it, thats the best thing you can do because it will assure you get the treatment you need.

Last edited by dea4; 08-30-2004 at 06:49 AM.

Old 08-31-2004, 03:41 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

heddy73 HB User

Thanks Dea4,I've been awake now since 3:00am and its now almost 7 am. I went to sleep ok last night but couldn't stay asleep. No wonder I am so grouchy in the morning. I was just getting to the point where I was just getting to sleep thru the night and then the dr messed with my dose and boom here I go again. My legs hurt and unfortiantly I cut hair for a living and have a 10 hr shift ahead of me today. I took Advil so I'm hoping that will help the legs. My CTS seems to be sneaking back. I just feel like whining a bit.... sorry....I just miss my happy self. Time for another cup of coffee.

Old 08-31-2004, 06:10 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User

Hi all! I was reading through this thread and one question came to mind. Has your pituitary gland been checked? It seems to me that TSH could be very relative in this case. If your TSH is on the low end (as it is) and your ft4 is also low (as it is), that would indicate that there may be a pituitary problem.
Barb

Old 08-31-2004, 10:33 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosmom
Hi all! I was reading through this thread and one question came to mind. Has your pituitary gland been checked? It seems to me that TSH could be very relative in this case. If your TSH is on the low end (as it is) and your ft4 is also low (as it is), that would indicate that there may be a pituitary problem.
Barb
This is true, but from what I understand if the TSH was high and the TT4 or FT4 low when first diagnosed its a thyroid problem, its pituitary if the TT4 is low and TSH is low when first diagnosed before any treatment, but I could be mistaken.

Good point though, Heddy what were your numbers when diagnosed?

Closed Thread