It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2004, 03:45 PM   #1

VERONICA3N HB User
Red face Tightness in throat - HELP!

I have been borderline hypo with all the symptoms for 4 years but am not on meds. Four days ago I started having trouble with my esophagus feeling like it was being squeezed. It feels constricted making it difficult to swallow. My windpipe seems fine as I can take deep breaths but I don't feel like I am getting enough oxygen to my brain. When it happens I feel like I am going to pass out. Each time it started after I ate. But I cannot find any common denominator between the food I have eaten that could point to an allergic reaction. They are all foods that I have eaten before with no problems. The tightness seems to originate from my thyroid. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? It starts in my neck then goes into my jaw. Please help, this is driving me crazy but do not have good insurance and do not want to spend the money to have the doctor blow me off.

Old 08-23-2004, 04:25 PM   #2

kltj HB User
Re: Tightness in throat - HELP!

You may want to get a thyroid antibodies test. Though I didn't get the problem only when I ate. I got the tightness in my throat, it felt like I was holding back tears at times, and my throat was cramping. There was a pressure and the pain would go up into my jaw. And I thought I might have had an ear ache it was so bad. I called my GP and he ran the antibodies test since I was 2 years being treated for Hypothyroid. I had a high amount of thyroid antibodies and was sent to an endocronologist where I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's. That may not be your problem, and some Doctor's don't believe Hashimoto's is painful. I've had 4 attacks (in the past year) since my diagnosis, and I know Hashimoto's is painful.

I wish you luck, I would definately call your Doctor and tell him your symptoms and ask for tests.

Kj

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2004, 05:38 PM   #3
Inactive

hypodude HB User

I have a goiter on my right side from being Hypo. I experience similar problems about 20 - 40 minutes after eating...my Thyroid physically swells and is very uncomfortable. I thought it might have been food related too but I have high Thyroid antibodies as well and the shrinking and swelling on my Thyroid is a daily occurance. For me, its best to eat very small meals several times a day for whatever reason.

Get your Thyroid checked out. Ask the doc to run:

T3 Total
Free T3
Thyroxine (T4)
Free T4
TSH
ThyroGlobulin Antibodies
ThyroPeroxidase Antibodies

Old 08-24-2004, 01:41 PM   #4

VERONICA3N HB User

Thank you so much! This was really freaking me out and the only thing I could think of was thyroid. My immune system is fried right now so it all makes sense.

Closed Thread