It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2004, 11:26 PM   #1
Inactive

Stacey82 HB User
Talking Different brands, whats the difference??

Midwest and others have mentioned ARMOUR... I am on Synthroid right now and wanting to mention another brand to my doc.

What is the difference between these brands? Do you find one brand worked better for you, why?

And especially for my case, the 50mg of Synthroid was not enough for me... but the 75mg I am on now is turning me Hyper. Is there an in-between these 2 in another brand?

Would love to hear anyones thoughts and experiences using different brands!

Thanks!
Stacey

Old 08-24-2004, 01:18 AM   #2
Inactive

Stacey82 HB User
Re: Different brands, whats the difference??

Grrr.. I just found a site/forum and there were a bunch of Hypo patients discussing their meds. Turns out OVER half of those people were saying how much better they felt, and how they lost weight after switching to ARMOUR?
I'm sooooooooooo confused.
I know my doctor is very good and I'm concerned why she didn't mention adding T3 meds.. or even switching to Armour that contains both T3 and T4.

Is it possible to stay on Synthroid but add a T3 like Cytomel in order to get good results as well as lose weight like people seem to do with Armour??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2004, 05:40 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Hi again, Stacey,
The huge majority of mainstream doctors are horribly biased against Armour. The attitude is probably based on Synthroid's introductory sales campaign in the 1930's, when they convinced MDs that because Armour is made from animal glands, it's dirty and inferior to their nice, 'clean' product manufactured in a sterile laboratory. They questioned Armour's potency and stability; but Armour has never been recalled, and Synthroid has been recalled numerous times. They inaccurately convinced doctors T3 causes osteoporosis and heart attacks. They paid doctors to prescribe it, they donated huge sums to medical schools... So guess which one has become the drug of choice for treating hypoT? $$$

The fact is that many, many... if not most... people do better with Armour. The profession may never catch up to that fact, but it's true. This appears to be due to the fact that most people have T4 to T3 conversion problems which MDs aren't aware happen or don't want to admit. If you can find a doctor who will agree to give you a trial of it, it would be worth the hunt. Cytomel/Synthroid may work better than the Synthroid you now take; but Armour may work best.

The only contraindications for prescribing T3 would be for the very elderly or those with pre-existing heart disease.

Old 08-24-2004, 09:08 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bellajoon HB User

Stacey,
I take synthroid (generic now) and cytomel and have been feeling very good. It took quite awhile though to get to where I am. I lost weight (16 lbs) and now weigh about 100, I am short, 5 ft 1 inch. I have more energy than I have in years too. I am very happy with my meds and hope that it stays this way for a long time. I do know alot of people say Armour works for them and it would probably work for me too. I never asked for Armour, just because I was trying so many different combos and I was tired of switching and feeling like crap.

Old 08-27-2004, 12:46 AM   #5

Felix73 HB User

Stacey,

I read your post with interest. I was put on one brand but started itching so went back to my GP who gave me a repeat prescription saying it was prob just my body getting used to the meds. When I got the repeat, I noticed it was a different brand so thought, " I know i''ll try that one instead and see if the ithching stops". Doh!

The itching certainly stopped but I think I went hyper yesterday, even on the same dose.

bellajoon, you said you had tried many different combos. Can one generic brand be stronger than others or am I just going mad?

Felix x

Closed Thread