It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2004, 11:36 AM   #1
(female)

mystiq86 HB User
Armour Thyroid?

I just recently started taking Armour thyroid and I was wondering how everyone else seems to be doing on this particular med? Any really bad side effects?

Old 08-24-2004, 05:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB User
Re: Armour Thyroid?

Most that I hear of do great. I take Nature Throid and Unithroid (Nature Throid is basically same as Armour, Unithroid is synthetic T4) I have done much better, but really have to watch the amount I take because I am sensitive to the T3. You may want to watch your FT3 levels as well, many have to suppliment with synthetic T4 to keep the T4 level up high enough, Armour has a lot of T3.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2004, 06:25 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

SarahF HB User

I am on Armour and feel better than I have in years. A piece of advice: split your dose and take half in the morning and half in the afternoon, or you will crash in the afternoon. I also take Levoxyl (T4) before I go to bed at night. I sleep much better, and wake up much better, now that I switched it from morning to night.

Old 08-24-2004, 08:23 PM   #4
(female)

kcgal HB User

I have started on Armour recently also and have done very well. I did have to cut the dosage down though. But, I'm slowly working my way up. I was on Levoxyl for over 5 years and never felt quite right.

KCGAL

Old 08-25-2004, 06:25 AM   #5
Inactive

puton10 HB User

I am starting Armour today, after taking Levoxyl. After I had my thyroid removed in June, I gained 10 pounds, while dieting!! So I am trying the Armour,(75 mg) and the doctor told me to take 60 in the morning, and 15 at night. He said taking it all at once could give you a "rush" from the T3.(SOme paople can take it all together however.) It might make some people have trouble sleeping. WE have to try different things until we get it right I guess. I am so glad I have a doctor that is understanding and sympathetic and willing to work with me. I hope this helps me get back on track with losing weight. Good luck.

Old 08-25-2004, 07:34 AM   #6

Unn HB User

puton 10

Just wondered if you ment that you start taking the full dose now or slowly up your dose until you are taking the full 75 mg?
All that T3-increase at once might be uncomfortable for you. My Armour-box says start with 30 mg and increase with 15 mg every 2 weeks.

I'm at the moment taking 37,5 mcg Levaxin and 15 mg Armour and slowly raising the Armour dose. I havent felt any side effects so far except a bit dizzy for 2-3 days, the fog has lifted and I feel better than I have in years.

Good luck

Old 08-25-2004, 08:13 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

dlkk HB User

I've been on 30mg Armour for about 8wks now, after being on Levoxyl 75mg for 3 yrs. I am feeling better on the Armour, but feel I need an increase. Unfortunately I had a bone density test that showed I have Osteoperosis and now my doctor refuses to increase my meds ever! I still have a free T4 reading that is in the tank and would like to get it up to where my free T3 is. I have an appointment this morning with my GP and I am going to discuss my thyroid blood work with him to see what he thinks.

Old 08-25-2004, 01:48 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
Talking Re: Armour Thyroid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlkk
I've been on 30mg Armour for about 8wks now, after being on Levoxyl 75mg for 3 yrs. I am feeling better on the Armour, but feel I need an increase. Unfortunately I had a bone density test that showed I have Osteoperosis and now my doctor refuses to increase my meds ever! I still have a free T4 reading that is in the tank and would like to get it up to where my free T3 is. I have an appointment this morning with my GP and I am going to discuss my thyroid blood work with him to see what he thinks.
look at midwest's excellent post on osteoPorosis:

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=199476

doctors will fall for anything ...

jb

Old 08-25-2004, 02:11 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

dlkk HB User

Hi jb. I did read those post. I just had a appointment with my GP this morning and I have severe osteoporosis in my spine and my hip has low bone mass. I asked again about adjusting my thyroid meds and he said absolutely NOT! My #'s are optimal and that increasing my thyroid meds would make my bone loss worse. I also found out from my thyroid scan that I have a 1 centimeter nodule on my left side of my thyroid. He wants to do another scan in 6 months to make sure it hasn't grown. So what does a growth mean? Looking at me you would never think my insides are falling apart, but they are. I'm wondering what else is wrong with me.

Last edited by dlkk; 08-25-2004 at 02:12 PM.

Old 08-25-2004, 02:49 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Angry Re: Armour Thyroid?

Quote:
Hi jb. I did read those post. I just had a appointment with my GP this morning and I have severe osteoporosis in my spine and my hip has low bone mass. I asked again about adjusting my thyroid meds and he said absolutely NOT! My #'s are optimal and that increasing my thyroid meds would make my bone loss worse. I also found out from my thyroid scan that I have a 1 centimeter nodule on my left side of my thyroid. He wants to do another scan in 6 months to make sure it hasn't grown. So what does a growth mean? Looking at me you would never think my insides are falling apart, but they are. I'm wondering what else is wrong with me.
i suggest you get a second opinion -- truly -- another doctor -- and this time a naturopath or a DO ... i'm sure your osteoP will clear up (slowly, and maybe not completely) when you are given the right dosage of synthroid/armour, and take a 2:1 ratio of calcium:magnesium ... makes me so mad when a doctor thinks that it's the synthroid instead of undertreated hypO i could spit nails ...

if you don't know, the cal:mag can upset your stomach (loose bowels) and you may have to build up, or you may be able to tolerate it ...

i have done a complete 180 about osteo ... reading this board and the osteo board, i now think the optimal treatment is cal:mag and excercise, gently at first ...

i should have known something was up when my bone mass did a sudden plummet, for no reason whatsoever ... i'd had a personal trainer and was exercising twice a week and my bone mass should have gone up and it didn't -- faugh! -- and my limbs swelled (got support hose for that) and my ADs stopped working (AD after AD, after AD) ... then someone else did a thyroid test ...

i broke my hip about a month after my hypO treatment began, so i took fosamax (didn't agree with me), then actonal (didn't agree with me), and now IV biphosphonates, but biphosphonates (fosamax, actonal) work by destroying the enzymes that destroy old bone so you have a lot of old bone hanging around, and cal:mag works by building new bone ... which do you think is better??

m'dear, your first order of business tho' is to find a new doctor -- one who doesn't go by the lab sheet ...

gosh i'm mad !!!

jb

Old 08-25-2004, 03:30 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

dlkk HB User

Quote:
i suggest you get a second opinion
I'm going too.
Quote:
nd take a 2:1 ratio of calcium:magnesium
I started today with the calcium/manesium.

I do all the right stuff, so this whole thing makes me sooo frustrated.

I keep saying if only someone could take care of my thyroid and get me on the right medication everything else in my body would be a whole lot better.

Thanks JB for getting mad for me

Last edited by dlkk; 08-25-2004 at 03:30 PM.

Old 08-25-2004, 04:34 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Talking Re: Armour Thyroid?

Quote:
I'm going too. I started today with the calcium/manesium.

I do all the right stuff, so this whole thing makes me sooo frustrated.

I keep saying if only someone could take care of my thyroid and get me on the right medication everything else in my body would be a whole lot better.

Thanks JB for getting mad for me
if you haven't posted your numbers (even if you have) could i take a look at them?

be very very careful (ie, after 1 days, don't be far from a toilet), b/c if the urge comes upon you, you won't be able to stop it, no how, no way ...

a totally unbunged, as of last nite
jb

Old 08-25-2004, 08:20 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

dlkk HB User

Here are my numbers for my thyroid-

TSH-.984(.35-3.0)
Free T4-.91(.89-1.76)
Free T3-334(210-440)
Total T3-1.25(.60-1.81)

My bone density test-
spine 2.9 (Severe/established Osteoporosis)
hip 1.3 (Low Bone Mass)

Old 08-26-2004, 05:00 AM   #14
Inactive

puton10 HB User

To UNN,
My doctor started me on 75 mg of Armour, because I was already on 125 mcg of Levoxyl.(I have no thyroid.) He said this is a "guesstimate" of how much Armour I would need, and we may have to adjust after my next blood test in 4-6 weeks. I am taking the full 75 however....split into 60 in the morning, and 15 at night. (I am doing a slim fast diet and there is soy protein in it so it can/will interfere with the absorption of the meds. I have to wait at least 2 hours after taking the 60 mg in the morning before I have my slim fast shake.) I am considering trying a different diet because of this. I have to lose weight, and stop putting it on!! Anyway, last night was the first time I took the 15 and I did feel a little "woo hoo" for a while. I feel okay now though after taking the 60. (a little light headed, but okay.) I am still new to all of this. What does AD stand for?

Old 08-26-2004, 06:30 AM   #15

Unn HB User

Puton10
I know the feeling, just gaining and gaining weight. Thankfully my weightgain stopped as soon as I started my medication.
AD?? Have no idea.

I was just worried that you might feel uncomfortable/worse with the sudden increase in T3 and think that you could not use Armour.

Good luck with the diet.

Closed Thread