It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2004, 12:13 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: ottawa, ontario, canada
Posts: 2,219
jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
Exclamation i think i've found a great naturopath!!

hi all!!

i went to see a naturopath yesterday (i was late, as usual, in true jinglebts style -- oh well) and may be on to something (i am always suspicious of going au naturelle, having been borne and bred in an age when monsanto promised "better living thru' chemistry" )... she didn't prescribe anything at my first appt. b/c my case is so complicated (i just look at all the stuff that's happened to me and go, "oh, that stuff), but said she prescribes natural thyroid ( , that bubbly drinks are bad for the bones (even water!! ooooh nooo, mr. bill!), that my "loose stool" (ugh!) may be due to the binders and fillers in my cal:mag supplement (it's true!! wampole does a real number on my intestines, jamieson doesn't!!), and agreed with me about many things, incl. the fact that my GP behaved like a nitwit when he prescribed support hose, AD after AD, but didn't test my blood for .... uhhh ... what's it called? hypO-something? get oudha here!! ... but is now treating me very well (class, can you spell s y m p t o m a t-whatever?)

she asked my to keep a food diary and i go back to see her next week!! and i'll ask her about cortisol and adrenal fatigue too, as that didn't occur to me ...

wow, i am trepidatious (and my dyslexia is getting worse), but something's gotta give!!

a very nervous, but the good kind of nervous, you know? i think ...
jb

~ ok, i don't know -- i just know that it's a whole new direction i'm going in, and it's kind of nervous-making to leave all the old stuff behind ...
__________________
keep the faith ...

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 08-24-2004, 02:07 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Pocatello, ID USA
Posts: 838
Bellajoon HB User
Re: i think i've found a great naturopath!!

JB,
I think it is great to check out all avenues for your health! Good luck to you

 
Old 08-24-2004, 02:22 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,434
Gopherhead HB User
Re: i think i've found a great naturopath!!

JB, I'm so happy for you! Now share! Who is she?

Those of us who live in the same city could use a little 'something to look forward to'!

Also, will OHIP cover a naturopath?

Anxiously awaiting,
Nat
__________________
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.

 
Old 08-24-2004, 03:26 PM   #4
Registered User
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 1,332
BonBe HB User
Re: i think i've found a great naturopath!!

Oh jingle boots (almost called you jinglebells but this is not Christmas)

I need to tell you and others, that I may be away from the boards for a while, today I was dx'd with a and I quote "a severe aggressive melanoma" those that know, I had a ugly monster mole removed a few weeks ago, and stitches out today, and pathology report came back with words of horror.

so I am faced yet again with surgery this time a rush order (lack of better term) in only just 8 days then a major long term? with chemo or radiation, or both or what ever...and I think I will prob have to have a up in my meds what say you great wise people here. Does cancer surgery, and post oncology stuff (what ever) does it affect the synthroid dose?

I feel I want to stay here on TD board though I should prob go to skin cancer board, but I feel so safe and happy here. ah well life is not always a bowl of cherries is it!

I hope the thyroid will not play havoc. And by the way everyone, remember I delayed in getting the six month re ultra sound of the nodule in my thyroid, I had good intentions today as I was at the hospital, on booking it but all thoughts of ultra sound flew out the window with my shock.

Nodules will be ok I am sure of this.

Bonnie Lea

 
Old 08-24-2004, 03:39 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: ottawa, ontario, canada
Posts: 2,219
jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
Talking Re: i think i've found a great naturopath!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopherhead
JB, I'm so happy for you! Now share! Who is she?

Those of us who live in the same city could use a little 'something to look forward to'!

Also, will OHIP cover a naturopath?

Anxiously awaiting,
Nat
her name is Colleen McCleary, i think (almost sure) she's an ND, and she's on carling avenue (i think this is the most info i'm allowed here, but you can certainly look her number and address up) ... she's in an old attached house, not one of those anonymous hi-rises, just west of the hospital and the two or three tall buildings ...

unfortunately, OHIP does not cover naturopathy (@#$#@%!), but if you have a company plan, it may (i do, and i'm just going to submit my bill -- nothing ventured, nothing gained, i say) ... the first assessment costs $150, but i got a break b/c i allowed two interns in on my pain, so paid only $80 ...

another favourite thing of hers to do is acupuncture ... i allowed, in the lobby, as to how i really respond well to it, and she brightened and said, "oh! it's my favourite thing to do!" ...

she looks about 30-ish, so could be 35 or 37, or even 27, but i just wanted someone who doesn't look like a kid fooling with my health ... odd how much easier it is to be hard on a woman, who's not a doctor ...

her name was given to my DD, who lives in toronto, by a Dr Tammy Rampone, who doesn't seem to be doing much for my DD, but anyhoo ...

that's as much info as i have at the moment, this and my original post ...

so i'll keep y'all posted!!
jb

~ oh, and failing any other form of reimbursement, i don't know if you can claim the services of an ND on your income tax, but it might be worth a shot ...
__________________
keep the faith ...

 
Old 08-24-2004, 03:52 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: ottawa, ontario, canada
Posts: 2,219
jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
Unhappy Re: i think i've found a great naturopath!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonBe
Oh jingle boots (almost called you jinglebells but this is not Christmas)

I need to tell you and others, that I may be away from the boards for a while, today I was dx'd with a and I quote "a severe aggressive melanoma" those that know, I had a ugly monster mole removed a few weeks ago, and stitches out today, and pathology report came back with words of horror.

so I am faced yet again with surgery this time a rush order (lack of better term) in only just 8 days then a major long term? with chemo or radiation, or both or what ever...and I think I will prob have to have a up in my meds what say you great wise people here. Does cancer surgery, and post oncology stuff (what ever) does it affect the synthroid dose?

I feel I want to stay here on TD board though I should prob go to skin cancer board, but I feel so safe and happy here. ah well life is not always a bowl of cherries is it!

I hope the thyroid will not play havoc. And by the way everyone, remember I delayed in getting the six month re ultra sound of the nodule in my thyroid, I had good intentions today as I was at the hospital, on booking it but all thoughts of ultra sound flew out the window with my shock.

Nodules will be ok I am sure of this.

Bonnie Lea
i AM so sorry to hear this dreadful news, and i guess i'll put out a special call to meep, who always knows so much ...

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}} }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
jb
__________________
keep the faith ...

 
Old 08-25-2004, 05:21 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Sault Ste. Marie, ON Canada
Posts: 379
cossette2 HB User
Re: i think i've found a great naturopath!!

I've been seeing a naturopath doc too now for a few months. Hard to say yet whether what she's doing will help. The most significant things she's done is get me to do
1) BBT (basal body temp) each morning which so far has always come up way below the avg.
2) tips on working with stress (epsom salt baths, deep breathing exercises, etc.)
3)food diary for a week. Told me to up my vegs and fruit.
4) gave me a long list of foods to avoid ..... goitrogenic foods like soy, almonds, etc. which affect the thyroid
5) put me on an adrenal support (i also have never had working ovaries...primary amenorrhea)
6) put me on a grandular support (strenthens glands like pituitary, adrenal, thyroid)

No significant improvement yet, but I'm also working with my endo as the naturopath cannot prescribe thyroid meds like synthroid and armour. Just came off the armour as it spiked up my T3, plummeted my T4 and spiked up my TSH. Looks like it's not for me....sooooo,........back on synthroid!

Hope the naturopath doc works out for you jingle.

Once again BIG HUGS to you Bonnie Lea (posted on another thread) as you go through this very difficult time. Will be praying for you.
__________________
hypo, Synthroid 75 mcg, estrace 1mg, prometrium 100mg, celexa 20mg, adrenal support (also have primary ovarian failure - extremely rare condition)

 
Old 08-25-2004, 06:14 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Hershey, PA.
Posts: 962
patience 50 HB User
Re: i think i've found a great naturopath!!

Oh JB, I'm so happy for you. My current Dr. is one who tested for everything under the sun too. She says she can't fix it if she doesn't know about it. I believe she did Adrenials. I don't have the paper in front of me but I'm sure I saw cortisal on there somewhere. It's great to feel as if you are in the hands of someone who is actually going to help.

Good luck and hope all is better soon. On a lighter note, if we had fallen in luv with Mel Tillis or Donald Trump our initials would be BLT.

May God Bless You
Patience 50

 
Old 08-25-2004, 10:06 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: ottawa, ontario, canada
Posts: 2,219
jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
Talking Re: i think i've found a great naturopath!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cossette2
No significant improvement yet, but I'm also working with my endo as the naturopath cannot prescribe thyroid meds like synthroid and armour. Just came off the armour as it spiked up my T3, plummeted my T4 and spiked up my TSH. Looks like it's not for me....sooooo,........back on synthroid!

Hope the naturopath doc works out for you jingle.

Once again BIG HUGS to you Bonnie Lea (posted on another thread) as you go through this very difficult time. Will be praying for you.
that's why i'm a bit nervous about it, and think "too good to be true", for me anyway ...

i'll make a separate post about bonnie here b/c not everyone may have read her post in that thread, and everyone who wants to can follow her posts to the skin cancer board ...

jb
__________________
keep the faith ...

Last edited by jinglebts; 08-25-2004 at 10:07 AM.

 
Closed Thread




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:38 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!