It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2004, 01:01 PM   #1

babydolphin2 HB User
Arrow My TSH result

Well i finally got my blood tests done..they would only do the TSH and the T4 (i think it was that one..i dont have the results of that yet)

My TSH result is 3.06. I was told it was normal first, then i asked for the actual number by phone and was given that.
I had also had my kidney,liver and full blood count done too. When i phoned the lab had put a 'talk to doctor' note on the results but once id done so the doctor spoke to the receptionist and said that all my tests were within the normal ranges! Strange..cant they agree?
I asked what the range was for TSH and she said btw 0.03 and 5.40, which i think im correct in thinking is the old ranges?? I have the net link to the new revised range but i dont suppose it will help me as my result DOES appear to be fine.
I have made an appt to see my doctor when she returns from holiday and will ask her for all the details from all the tests.
How can it be 'normal' to feel like this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2004, 04:04 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
Unhappy Re: My TSH result

Quote:
Originally Posted by babydolphin2
Well i finally got my blood tests done..they would only do the TSH and the T4 (i think it was that one..i dont have the results of that yet)

My TSH result is 3.06. I was told it was normal first, then i asked for the actual number by phone and was given that.
I had also had my kidney,liver and full blood count done too. When i phoned the lab had put a 'talk to doctor' note on the results but once id done so the doctor spoke to the receptionist and said that all my tests were within the normal ranges! Strange..cant they agree?
I asked what the range was for TSH and she said btw 0.03 and 5.40, which i think im correct in thinking is the old ranges?? I have the net link to the new revised range but i dont suppose it will help me as my result DOES appear to be fine.
I have made an appt to see my doctor when she returns from holiday and will ask her for all the details from all the tests.
How can it be 'normal' to feel like this?
but the lab range hasn't been revised -- it should be, of course, .2 to 2.5, but what do numbers mean anyway!! i read in dr. arem's excellent book that a TSH is only an average of an average of the TSHs present in the general population (dunno how they decided that -- you can't do blood tests on the whole population for heavens' sakes ) ...

you need another doctor, or now that you've had the tests, you can take the results to a naturopath or DO ... fortunately, i have a sympathetic GP, who lets me do pretty much what i want as long as it's not natural thyroid (little does he know -- heh ) ...

normal feels pretty good -- not as you feel ...

oh dear ...
jb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2004, 12:55 PM   #3

babydolphin2 HB User
Re: My TSH result

Oh i thought that the lab ranges HAD been revised and now the cut off point is 3.0? Maybe ive read too much into what ive read and got confused.

I will be seeing my regular doc in a fortnight so will see if she will be open about all of my results and discuss some form of treatment with me.

Old 08-26-2004, 03:26 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
Talking Re: My TSH result

Quote:
Originally Posted by babydolphin2
Oh i thought that the lab ranges HAD been revised and now the cut off point is 3.0? Maybe ive read too much into what ive read and got confused.

I will be seeing my regular doc in a fortnight so will see if she will be open about all of my results and discuss some form of treatment with me.
the lab is not up to date with the ranges (.2 to 2.5, or sometimes 3.0), and the doctors are at fault i guess ... therefore, they say, "everything's normal! now off with you and live your life!! be well!!" without any further study of just why you are so pooped all the time ...

print off what the AACE has to say about the ranges (i think in the Info Archive near the top of the board) or you could Google "aace ranges" or some such ... my GP will only accept reputable (ie, double-blind) studies, so make sure that it's not just anecdotal ...

such a study might have been carried out by the british endo association, but i don't know it's proper name ... sometimes british doctors may think american doctors are foolish -- my experience with only one when i lived there ... many, hopefully, will not ...

jb

~ my GP doesn't folliow the lab ranges, my endos have -- go figure!!

Closed Thread