It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2004, 02:23 PM   #1
Senior Veteran

reni HB User
Need help interpreting results

I'd like some help interpreting my bloodwork.

As a quick background, I've been complaining about hypothyroidism symptoms for the last 5 years or so, but I am always dismissed, as my labs come back normal. I have a strong family history of hypo (mother, sister, maternal grandmother), a thyroid nodule (biopsied; benign), cold intolerance, constipation, lethargy, weight gain and failure to lose despite herculean efforts at diet and exercise.

These are my results:

TSH 0.64 (0.35-4.94)
Free T3 2.9 (1.73-3.7)
Free T4 0.81 (0.70-1.48)
Thyroid Peroxidase (TPO) AB <2 (<2)
Anti-thyroglobulin antibody <2 (<2)

I just got these results in the mail today, and I'm pretty disappointed. I really thought this would be the year something would show up, since my symptoms are so much worse. But the new doctor I saw wrote "thyroid levels look excellent!"... so basically I have been dismissed again.

My question is, DO my levels look excellent? I'm not trying to create a problem where none exists, but I don't have any other explanation for my symptoms.

Thanks!

Old 08-27-2004, 10:46 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

reni HB User
Re: Need help interpreting results

Anyone?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2004, 11:13 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Sorry to miss your question, reni.
At least you've had all the right tests done. That's rare. Did your doctor do that for you, or did you have to request them?

Anyway, it looks as though you don't have Hashimoto's, because your antibodies levels are normal. But although your TSH is about right, your free Ts are low in their ranges, the FT4 being very low. This is enough to give you symptoms.

The thing is, you probably won't find a conventional doctor who would treat this. An osteopath or other alternative doctor might, though.
Your family history and nodule convince me there's something going on with your thyroid, FWTW.

Do you take BC pills or other medications, or do you eat a lot of soy or raw goitrogenic vegetables? These things can all lower thyroid function even in an otherwise "healthy" gland. If any of these is true for you, some modifications there might help. But my best advice is to pursue finding a doctor who'll give those low FTs some attention.

Old 08-27-2004, 12:57 PM   #4
(female)

Anxious Annie HB User

Are you seeing an endocrinologist? My friend has one who says that he feels all women need a little synthetic thyroid in their system due to hormonal fluctations. My friend was low borderline, like you, and her doctor placed her on Synthroid.

I am fighting the same battle you are. I was hypothyroid for the first 12 years of my life then was pulled off of my meds. I'm 34 now. My mother has been on meds for it all her life an my maternal grandmother suffered from it as well. I have all the classic symptoms and finally convinced my GP for a full panel test yesterday. As usual, they will come back borderline like yours and the doctor will say I'm "fine".

Try to find a good endocrinologist or an OB/GYN who specializes in thyroid disorders. Good luck!

Last edited by Anxious Annie; 08-27-2004 at 12:58 PM.

Old 08-27-2004, 06:34 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

reni HB User

Thanks for replying

Midwest, no, my doctor didn't come up with the tests on her own. I researched it here first, then marched in there and told her what I wanted I've never had a complete thyroid panel done and that greatly annoyed me, given that I was always there complaining about hypo symptoms.

I'm glad you feel that my free T4 might be causing symptoms. I wanted some sort of confirmation before I saw an endocrinologist and had a hissy fit I know I need to do more research before I make an appointment so I can discuss the matter intelligently. I just wanted to know if I was at least barking up the right tree. (One year my free T4 did come back out of the normal range (too low) but I was told it didn't mean anything since mt TSH was normal. What did I know? )

I'm not on any hormones or meds, nor do I eat soy. I don't know which veggies are goitrogenic so I can't answer that.

Annie, I did get a referral to an endocrinologist, but I can see virtually anyone under my insurance plan without prior approval. This is a different endo than the one I saw for my nodule. Him, I didn't like. I had to force him to do a biopsy after my thyroid scan indicated that I "probably" didn't have cancer. "Probably" ain't good enough for me, thanks very much. Once it proved to be benign he was "done" with me, even though I still had symptoms.

This has been going on for 6 years and I'm not leaving it be any longer. My new mission in life is finding someone who will listen to me. Good luck to you also!

Old 08-28-2004, 08:06 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Reni,
For your search, look up the writings of Drs. Richard Shames, John Dommisse, David Derry, Stephen Langer, Joseph Mercola, John Lowe, and Anthony Toft. Most, if not all, of them recommend the FTs be in the high end of the range to relieve symptoms.

Old 08-28-2004, 11:20 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

reni HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1
Reni,
For your search, look up the writings of Drs. Richard Shames, John Dommisse, David Derry, Stephen Langer, Joseph Mercola, John Lowe, and Anthony Toft. Most, if not all, of them recommend the FTs be in the high end of the range to relieve symptoms.
Thanks for the info. You know, you constantly read how one should treat symptoms and not just test results, but then you get out in the real world and the doctors act like they have never heard of such a thing. My current doctor (gp) actually told me if my TSH came back in the normal range, there was "nothing I could do for you." Nice. I said, ok, if it's not my thyroid, what is the explanation for my symptoms? She shrugged. And that was her professional opinion. "I dunno."

Closed Thread