It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2004, 04:19 PM   #1

DebSu HB User
Question about lab results

My doctor just prescribed Armour for me based on my symptoms, rather than blood tests (I am currently without insurance). He leans towards naturopathy although he is a surgeon.
2 years ago I had the following results from another doctor's tests:

TSH 2.88 ref range: 0.40-5.50
Free T4 1.1 0.8-1.8
Free T3 280 230-420

Even though these are within range, I'm beginning to understand that they are possibly not optimal. What should they be at?

I will get blood testing again as soon as I can afford it, but in the meantime he will start me on a super low dose (since I overreact to meds) and gradually build up.

I am peri-menopausal and do get heart palps when estrogen is low, but I don't think I am hyper. I have many of the hypo symptoms, but I am not losing hair and am not always cold-I do have very little tolerance for hot or cold (start to shake and chatter with very slight temperature drops, and my body temp is always below 98.0, mostly at 97.5 during the day).

I think my TSH is higher than it should be, and my T4 and T3 may be a bit low-that may be why I am so sluggish and can't lose weight.Any help or suggestions with this would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Deb

Old 08-26-2004, 06:05 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Question about lab results

Quote:
My doctor just prescribed Armour for me based on my symptoms, rather than blood tests (I am currently without insurance). He leans towards naturopathy although he is a surgeon.
Congratulations! Most of us here who have used synthetic med before switching to Armour have had more success with the Armour. Most doctors are extremely biased against it, though; so the fact that you saw only one doctor before you were prescribed it is amazingly lucky for you.

Quote:
TSH 2.88 ref range: 0.40-5.50
Free T4 1.1 0.8-1.8
Free T3 280 230-420
Even though these are within range, I'm beginning to understand that they are possibly not optimal. What should they be at?
Being "in range" means nothing. These numbers show that you were hypo even at that time. What should they be at? Hard to say. Each person has a setpoint within the range that determines their hormone needs. For example, the "range" of women's shoe sizes is 6-10, and each woman has a size within it that determines what shoe will be comfortable for her. That's how thyroid hormones are. For most women, the free T4/T3 should be in the upper third of the lab range. You can see yours are below the center of the range. That makes you hypo. A TSH level above 2 suggests that the free hormones are low; your 'free' tests proved it.

Quote:
I am peri-menopausal and do get heart palps when estrogen is low, but I don't think I am hyper. I have many of the hypo symptoms, but I am not losing hair and am not always cold-I do have very little tolerance for hot or cold (start to shake and chatter with very slight temperature drops, and my body temp is always below 98.0, mostly at 97.5 during the day).
Don't be surprised if your heart palps resolve once you near your optimal dose of Armour. Hypo often causes them. As for not having the other classic symptoms.... Not every person will have every symptom, such as hair loss or feeling cold. When I was first diagnosed, I had none of the fatigue that plagues most hypo people. No hair loss, either. Your low tolerance for temperature extremes and low body temp are two very common conditions. I had them too.

Quote:
I think my TSH is higher than it should be, and my T4 and T3 may be a bit low-that may be why I am so sluggish and can't lose weight.Any help or suggestions with this would be appreciated.
Just give the Armour some time. How low a dose have you been given? I had to start low also... at 30 mg. I wasn't given an increase for two months, to 45... then to 60... Finally up to 90 after about 6 months. Doing pretty well on that. Just make sure the doctor won't make you stagnate on too low a dose, or you won't ever feel well or be able to lose weight.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread