It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2004, 05:00 PM   #1
Inactive

Stacey82 HB User
OK now I am really confused? Regarding T3

Hi guys
Thanks everyone who responded in my previous posts.
And special thanks to Midwest for her very helpful info she always gives!!

I went to my doc today and I asked her about Armour. Well turns out since I am in CANADA we don't have it here. So that sucks She seems very pro-synthroid anyway

Ok so now I ask her about adding T3 to my Synthroid. She said if I wanted to we could... but she didn't see it making much of a difference?

Is adding T3 only necessary when your blood work indicates you are not producing enough??

For example my last blood work after 3 weeks taking 50mg Synthroid were as follows:

TSH: 2.63 (0.30-4.70)
T3 Total RIA: 2.2 (0.7-2.1)
T4 FREE: 18.5 (9.1-23.8)
Free T3: 5.4 (2.5-5.7)

I then went on 75mg but it made me "hyper" so I had to stop. Now I am taking the 50mg again but taking the 75mg 2-3 times a week.

If the 50/75mg combo brings my T3 levels lower is that ok? Or just because my numbers are good might I still need to add t3/Cytomel ???

I'm so confused!!

Old 08-26-2004, 06:20 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: OK now I am really confused? Regarding T3

In Canada, natural dessicated thyroid (such as Armour) is named Parke-Davis thyroid. But the bias against it there is larger than it is in the US, it seems. You may have noticed Jinglebts' latest posts saying how she is now seeing a naturopath in order to have natural med prescribed for her. Seems Canadians have to go to greater lengths to get them.

Quote:
Ok so now I ask her about adding T3 to my Synthroid. She said if I wanted to we could... but she didn't see it making much of a difference?
I think she's probably right that it won't make much of a difference, because the problem might be more in the Synthroid than the lack of T3.
My first thyroid doc was an endo who prescribed Synthroid only. It made me hyper in even the smallest possible dose, so she told me to stop taking it and to come back in 3 months to see what else we could do. Stubborn me wasn't about to go without anything, so I saw my current doctor a month later. By that time my TSH was nearly 7 again. That was when I began taking Armour, and it hasn't once made me hyper. I wish I could explain to you why that's so, but I think differences in tolerance for meds isn't always explainable.

If I were you, I wouldn't settle for the alternating dose if it still doesn't make me feel well.
Jingle can probably give you some good "Canadian" advice about all this.... lol.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2004, 08:46 AM   #3
Inactive

Stacey82 HB User

Hi Midwest!

Yeah it seems odd that my doc has never ever mentioned any alternatives to Synthroid. Seems to be the only route doctors seem to take here. If I find my Synthroid doesn't work- then I'm definitely going to ask her about the natural stuff. She seems very open to things I want to try.

So basically are you saying if my Synthroid makes me feel good and keeps my numbers in the ranges I am fine???

The 50mg was not enough- but the 75mg made me feel AMAZING... before I went hyper. So I definitely know something is working- I just need to find the balance between 50-75 that makes me feel good consistantly without going hyper. I guess I am one of those that need an odd dose like 60mg rather than the common doses.

I am just curious- besides feeling GOOD, do my numbers indicate that I'm on my way to getting better? My doc says don't worry about numbers, worry about how you FEEL. But I just want to make sure number wise I can acheive a healthy range just so I don't have issues with weight loss. (or lack of). I want to make sure my body is CAPABLE of losing weight even if I feel good or not.

Old 08-26-2004, 09:23 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Quote:
So basically are you saying if my Synthroid makes me feel good and keeps my numbers in the ranges I am fine???
Well... I didn't think I said that. But yes... the point of treatment is to make you "feel good". But when you get to feeling good, the free hormones still have to be in the high end of the range and not above it. To put it more plainly, a person could be so used to feeling sluggish while being untreated so long, that they easily forget the way they felt as their 'normal' selves before hypoT. Are you sure that the "AMAZING" way you felt while on 75 mcgs wasn't an artificially high amount of energy for you... out of the ordinary compared to the way you were before hypoT set in? You shouldn't expect to feel more energetic than you were as your pre-hypo self, because that would help to confirm, along with the free tests, that 75 mcgs does indeed make you hyper.
I think for the time being you should give the alternating doses a try. It might be enough to bring up your FT4 that you need, and it's possible it might lower your FT3 a bit... Not too sure about the latter, though. It may not. If this doesn't work out, start pushing to give the natural med a try.

Quote:
I am just curious- besides feeling GOOD, do my numbers indicate that I'm on my way to getting better? My doc says don't worry about numbers, worry about how you FEEL.
I think your doc's philosophy is a good one. It's the way hypoT was treated long before there were any lab tests for it. And I think, generally, people did better in those days, because docs were willing to keep increasing the dose until people were better. You can feel safe following that advice as long as she doesn't get hung up too much on numbers. Docs are not always great about practicing what they preach.
Quote:
I want to make sure my body is CAPABLE of losing weight even if I feel good or not.
If you don't feel good, it means your body still doesn't have the thyroid hormones it needs to function well. Therefore, your metabolism is still going to be too slow, and you won't be "CAPABLE" of losing the weight you want to lose.

Old 08-26-2004, 08:06 PM   #5
Inactive

Stacey82 HB User

Good point... It's VERY very hard for me to remember what feeling "normal" was like... I must have been "hypo" for at least a year or more before I was diagnosed... At the time I thought my fatigue was because of my low iron..
So maybe you are right- although the 75mg was a drastic improvement. I was actually staying awake for a full day without yawning once. I started exercising again and felt great energy.
The only thing I've noticed is NONE of my doses so far have increased my appetite. That is the only thing that makes me wonder if my metabolism is speeding up or not?

I guess I am just concerned that I hope my numbers can be in the range that make it possible to lose weight. I just remember how it felt to exercise and diet for 6 months straight (before I knew I had hypo) without even losing a pound. It was very discouraging. I just don't want that to happen again

Closed Thread