It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2004, 10:35 PM   #1

beccalynnteam3 HB User
test results

Ok so here is a refresher...I have been hypothyroid for several years. I have been stable on the same dose of levoxyl for that period of time. Then out of the blue my tsh showed me as hyper. My doctor told me she was going to have the lab check the free T4.

Today she told me that the free T4 came back normal and she spoke with a endo and he said that possibly i am just being overmedicated...hormones changed on their own and now i need a lower dose. He advised her to test me again in a month while i am still on the same dose of levoxyl and if it is still hyper than to decrease my daily dosage.

This is ok to me, however, I still have some concerns. One of which is I still have the same symptoms that brought me into the doctors last week..SEVERE muscle weakness, diahhrea, cold sweats, flushing, etc. In addition I asked her to test me for the antibodies and she said ok at first, but now after speaking to the endo she says its really not necessary. According to her the treatment for thyroid disorders are the same regardless of the cause??? I told her I would like her to test me anyways and she agreed....in her words "to oblige me" whatever that means.

Anyways...does anyone have any thoughts? Also she said she mailed me the actual results so I can have it for my records so I don't have any of the numbers yet.

Thanks for everyones help in advance.

Old 08-26-2004, 06:53 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: test results

Quote:
I have been stable on the same dose of levoxyl... Then out of the blue my tsh showed me as hyper. My doctor told me she was going to have the lab check the free T4.
First of all, the TSH cannot determine if a person is hyper. Only the free T4 and free T3 tests can do that... So, she should have been monitoring those all along. Many, many - if not most - patients in treatment have TSH well below 1.0, and as long as their free hormones aren't excessive, they aren't hyper.

Your current symptoms are ones that can go along either with hyper or hypo. Your free T4 is said to be "normal"... Post that number and lab range if you have it, so we can see if that's true. You must also have your free T3 measured. It could be above range, and if it is, that would make you hyper even if FT4 is normal.

At this point, antibody testing is probably moot. I agree with your doctor. After so many years of proven hypoT, your treatment will still be the same, with or without antibodies. For people who are having trouble getting a diagnosis, the antibody tests are often abnormal before the hormone levels are, proving that treatment is needed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread