It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2004, 05:56 AM   #1

running_guy HB User
High T3

I have experienced weight loss, heavy urination, trouble sleeping, heart pounding and agitation over the last 6 months. In spite of eating a huge amount of food, I can't seem to gain weight. I have been blood tested and ct scanned with (fortunately) no problems found. The exception is my thyroid values. My doctor tells me my TSH is 0.8, my T4 is in range but my T3 is out of range high. She is not concerned about this result on the T3 and I should not be concerned. Anyone??? This does not seem right to me. Any comments very much appreciated. Thanks!

Old 08-26-2004, 12:33 PM   #2

running_guy HB User
Re: High T3

Thanks for the reply K9Mom. I have requested the actual results from my doctor so I can see what the lab's normal ranges are....and how far out my T3 is on the top side. I also want to see if they ran a free T3 along with the total. As I recall, my doctor said that bound T3 is not a problem if it is high. Do you know anything about this? Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2004, 05:48 PM   #3
Inactive

hypodude HB User

Is there anything particularly special about your diet. Some foods mess with your Thyroid more than others. Those items rich in Selenium, Iodine (in iodized salt) and others all contribute to thyroid function.

Old 08-26-2004, 07:59 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

K9Mom HB User

Total T3 and Total T4 are measurements of all the T3 and T4 in your body. 97.9% of that thyroid hormone is bound to proteins and therefore unavailable for your body's cells to utilize (so it's not usable to us).

Free T3 and Free T4 lab tests will test only the amount of T3 and T4 that is "free" and not bound to proteins, therefore it is the only thyroid hormone that our cells can use.

The "Free" tests are MUCH more accurate in evaluating thyroid function.

Also the Total T's can give erroneous results due to estrogens (probably not a problem for you such as HRT and birth control pills) as well as over the counter and prescription medications...even asprin!

Old 08-27-2004, 12:59 AM   #5

Felix73 HB User

K9Mom,

How does aspirin affect your thyroid? i took some yesterday for a sore throat and had a really bad day. I'm wondering if there is a connection. I'm on 75mg of thyroxine (generic).

thanks,
Felix x

Old 08-27-2004, 11:59 AM   #6

running_guy HB User

Thanks for the comments folks. I had been on a low fat diet, but nothing exotic at all. I received my results from the Dr. today and the TOTAL T3 was 230 vs a lab range of 80 to 180. No free T3 was run. I would like to get a better handle on the situation. Guess I'll have to talk to the Dr. again. Thanks!

Old 08-27-2004, 02:44 PM   #7
Senior Veteran

AprilPow HB User

My t3 was high, but I also had a low tsh (.03)

I found out today I have graves disease...

Symptoms are like yours.

HUGE appetite- no weight gain.
poor sleep. talk a long to fall asleep, wake frequently...
pounding heart..
sweating a lot
frequent bowel movements
irritability
anxiousness

etc...

good luck! keep us posted!

Old 08-27-2004, 03:50 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

K9Mom HB User

Dr. Rubin in his Thyroid for Dummies book says this about the lab tests:

"Some of the drugs that can raise the level of TT4 in yoru blood include:
Estrogenic hormones taken for hormone replacement or birth control
Amiodarone, a drug used for the heart
Amphetamines
Methadone

Some clinical states that can raise TT4 levels include
High estrogen states, such as pregnancy
Acute illness, such as AIDS or hepatitis
Acute psychiatric problems

Conversely, some drugs and physical conditions tend to lower the results of a TT4 test (because they depress the amount of thyroxine-binding protein), while not impacting the amount of free thyroxine (FT4). The drugs that have this impact include:
Androgens, male hormones taken to build muscle
Steroids, usually given to reduce inflammation
Nicotinic acid, given to lower harmful blood fats
Asprin in high doses (more than 3,000 milligrams daily)

Physical conditions that can lower TT4 levels include:
Severe chronic illness such as kidney failure or liver failure
Starvation

Old 08-27-2004, 04:29 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
Talking Re: High T3

Quote:
Originally Posted by running_guy
I have experienced weight loss, heavy urination, trouble sleeping, heart pounding and agitation over the last 6 months. In spite of eating a huge amount of food, I can't seem to gain weight. I have been blood tested and ct scanned with (fortunately) no problems found. The exception is my thyroid values. My doctor tells me my TSH is 0.8, my T4 is in range but my T3 is out of range high. She is not concerned about this result on the T3 and I should not be concerned. Anyone??? This does not seem right to me. Any comments very much appreciated. Thanks!
sure sounds like you're hypER to me ... and how on earth could she ignore your symptoms? sounds like she's another one who treats the lab sheet ...

jb

Closed Thread