It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2004, 03:05 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

dlkk HB User
Thyroid nodule

I finally had a thyroid scan done and the scan came back showing a 1 centimeter nodule on my left lobe. So what does that mean. Should I be concerned. The doctor said he wanted to re-scan my thyroid in 6 months.

Old 08-28-2004, 03:09 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

dlkk HB User
Re: Thyroid nodule

Anyone else with a thyroid nodule?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2004, 04:08 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

Sorry... no single nodule here. I just had a scan and ultrasound done and the reports indicate that I may have a multinodular goiter. But the doctor that I saw was ridiculous and told me that everything was fine even with those results. I'm seeing a new doctor in a week and a half to find out what's really wrong. Do you know if the nodule is hot or cold? (Hot nodules take up more iodine, cold nodules take up less.) Apparently the cold ones are more likely to be cancerous. It doesn't sound like your doc is too worried about that, though. If you are concerned and want to know if it is something to be worried about you could ask about getting a biopsy. They do it by sticking in a needle to draw out some cells from the nodule to examine under a microscope. Sorry I can't help much, but that's what I know. Good luck.

Old 08-28-2004, 04:50 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

reni HB User

My gp found a nodule on my thyroid a few years ago, and sent me to an endocrinologist, who sent me for a scan. I'm not even sure why I went for that test, as all it can tell you is "probably" cancer or not. "Probably" is not good enough for me when it comes to a diagnosis of malignancy. He didn't want to perform the biopsy, but I had already armed myself with research on the topic and he actually got all flustered LOL I got my biopsy The nodule was benign, thank goodness. I really don't see why he was reluctant to do it, as it was painless and took about a minute to perform.

Maybe the more knowlegeable people here will have better advice, but I'd insist on the biopsy if I was you.

Old 08-29-2004, 09:14 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

dlkk HB User

My doctor wants to wait 6 months and then have another thyroid scan to see if the nodule has grown. I'm not use if it is a hot or cold nodule, but I would like to have a biopsy done on it to rule out cancer. The trouble is that my GP doesn't know much about the thyroid and the endo that I saw under my insurance wasn't to interested in my thyroid condition. He is the one that told me I didn't need any thyroid medication and that I should take anti-depressants and see a psychologist.

Old 08-29-2004, 10:37 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

reni HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlkk
the endo that I saw under my insurance wasn't to interested in my thyroid condition. He is the one that told me I didn't need any thyroid medication and that I should take anti-depressants and see a psychologist.
Give him a swift kick in the *** and tell him if it hurts he must be imagining it OK, just kidding, but surely you can see another endo? I have found that if you make a stink, you get what what you want. I asked mine, "Can you GUARANTEE my nodule isn't cancerous?" Of course he had to say "no." Then I said something like, "So if it turns out the nodule is cancerous but you refused to do a biopsy when I requested it..." He pretty much understood the implication of "lawsuit" and performed the biopsy soon after.

If it makes you feel any better, I still have not received any treatment for my symptoms, but have been offered antidepressants. Gee, thanks for the offere, but..I'm not depressed.

Old 08-29-2004, 10:56 AM   #7

POLLY2004 HB User

Thyroid nodule here!Found it last year after my 6 wk visit postpartum checkup.Had the blood tests uptake scan etc etc.I had the biopsy 6 mo ago....yowsah.....on snythroid, non cancerous cyst.It was the size of a walnut at first but shrunk on its own(before meds)to the size of a pea......its still there..my hair still falls out and when I workout I sweat buckets

The funny thing is that my sister had her thyroid removed about a month before I decided to grow my cyst!!!!

They had to remove her thyroid because the cysts/adenoma was the size of a grapefruit,you could not see it ,it was growing more towards the inside,she could not breath if she laid down.....she has never been better now....shes a different girl!!!

Closed Thread