It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2004, 08:04 AM   #1

tumblina HB User
Allergic to Parke-Davis (natural thyroid)? Switch to?

OK, I've been on this for four years, but only recently increased it to something approximating where I need it to be. The past three weeks I started getting my energy around 9pm (which made it hard to sleep at a regular hour), then I set my alarm every morning for 8:30 to take 30mg - after which I would fall asleep again until 11ish and drag myself out of bed just to crash on the couch. Then I got the idea that the 15mg I took at 4:30pm was what was keeping me up, and I pushed it closer to the morning dose - which then caused my morning crash to be harder and deeper... The light finally dawns (so hard to figure things out when in the midst of brain fog), and so this morning I didn't take anything - I'll take all 45mg tonight. I feel sooooo much better.

I had the same response to tetracyclines 7 years ago, which is why I'm thinking it's an allergic reaction.

1. Does anyone else get the sleepies from Armour, and just take it at night instead (just a personal symptom, not an allergy)?
2. If it is an allergy, what are the alternatives? I don't think I have a problem with pork (don't eat much of it), so I'm hoping it's the binders. A recent post here suggested that it's a Canadian thing to have Parke-Davis instead of Armour - do we have access to other brands??

A slightly related question - how long does it take to have your numbers affected by the natural thyroid? I've been waiting 6 weeks between bloodwork - but that would either mean waiting another 2 for the test and another 1.5 for the appointment or going now for the switch and again for the dosage check.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2004, 03:36 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
Talking Re: Allergic to Parke-Davis (natural thyroid)? Switch to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumblina
OK, I've been on this for four years, but only recently increased it to something approximating where I need it to be. The past three weeks I started getting my energy around 9pm (which made it hard to sleep at a regular hour), then I set my alarm every morning for 8:30 to take 30mg - after which I would fall asleep again until 11ish and drag myself out of bed just to crash on the couch. Then I got the idea that the 15mg I took at 4:30pm was what was keeping me up, and I pushed it closer to the morning dose - which then caused my morning crash to be harder and deeper... The light finally dawns (so hard to figure things out when in the midst of brain fog), and so this morning I didn't take anything - I'll take all 45mg tonight. I feel sooooo much better.

I had the same response to tetracyclines 7 years ago, which is why I'm thinking it's an allergic reaction.

1. Does anyone else get the sleepies from Armour, and just take it at night instead (just a personal symptom, not an allergy)?
2. If it is an allergy, what are the alternatives? I don't think I have a problem with pork (don't eat much of it), so I'm hoping it's the binders. A recent post here suggested that it's a Canadian thing to have Parke-Davis instead of Armour - do we have access to other brands??

A slightly related question - how long does it take to have your numbers affected by the natural thyroid? I've been waiting 6 weeks between bloodwork - but that would either mean waiting another 2 for the test and another 1.5 for the appointment or going now for the switch and again for the dosage check.
i'd say go now for both, so you know what's going on ...

i'll ask my ND whether there are alternatives (i'm canadian too) -- i think she might put me on it (i see her on monday)...

how did you like it, other than this latest incident?

jb

Old 08-27-2004, 04:03 PM   #3

tumblina HB User
Re: Allergic to Parke-Davis (natural thyroid)? Switch to?

I never had any problem with it, except having too low a dose. Now I'm not sure if I hadn't quite hit the optimum / it wasn't quite working; or I was always slightly reacting to it!

I phoned the doc today to find out if she could change the meds with the pharmacy directly or whether I should go see her - never heard back. Her office is closed on Mondays . I figure if I can't handle the symptoms when taking it at night I can go to the walk-in around the corner (trying to convince them that exhaustion is an allergy symptom will be another thing altogether!).

Old 08-27-2004, 04:24 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
Talking Re: Allergic to Parke-Davis (natural thyroid)? Switch to?

Quote:
I never had any problem with it, except having too low a dose. Now I'm not sure if I hadn't quite hit the optimum / it wasn't quite working; or I was always slightly reacting to it!

I phoned the doc today to find out if she could change the meds with the pharmacy directly or whether I should go see her - never heard back. Her office is closed on Mondays . I figure if I can't handle the symptoms when taking it at night I can go to the walk-in around the corner (trying to convince them that exhaustion is an allergy symptom will be another thing altogether!).
yeah, that'll be tricky ... and maybe you should say "sensitive" or use some other word -- when doctors hear "allergic" they immediately think of anaphylactic shock ...

it really just makes you sleepy? can you try a bit of synthroid with it? that's my ND's plan for me ...

i would think any thyroid treatment would register in blood tests after a month or six weeks -- i've never heard anyone say not ...

jb

Old 08-28-2004, 08:51 AM   #5

tumblina HB User

Well, the exhaustion part was all I could tell when I took it in the morning (and promptly fell back asleep). Last night I took it at 9pm - after about an hour I pretty much crumpled, but had to go through the spins, gagging/choking, and a metallic taste in my mouth for another hour and a half or so before I could finally fall asleep. Problem: I ate eggs for the first time in a while yesterday evening, so I can't be 100% positive all of that was from the thyroid meds. Will try eggless tonight (and take the T a little later hoping to fall asleep without too much dizziness). I'm more awake this morning than usual, but not quite alert...

Old 11-10-2004, 04:15 AM   #6

lostgrrl HB User

I had a similar reaction to Armour. I thought I was going to die. I couldn't stay awake - I had been up to 3 grains so it wasn't as if I was underdosed! My thyroid levels wouldn't rise on it! I was exhausted - swollen - my heart started feeling like it wasn't beating at all. I was freezing cold - my whole body felt like it was shutting down. Not everyone can tolerate Armour - if you are feeling weird - tell your doc - my body does best on synthetics.....

Old 11-10-2004, 06:21 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User

Quote:

OK, based on what you are saying, I think you might be experienceing the effects of an adrenal crash due to the dose increase. I used to experience a crash like that on almost every increase ov my Armour, until I was given a trial of 20mg/day of Cortef to help my adrenals out. If you were allergic, you would likely have had a response from the start.

Numbers for natural thyroid will take 6-8 weeks to stabilize if you are going by TSH and T4, and only a week if you are going by T3 levels.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Closed Thread