It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2004, 10:53 AM   #1

wanttobehealthy HB User
Magnesium?

Why dose the Doctor test Magnesium with Thyroid problems?

Thanks!!

Last edited by wanttobehealthy; 08-27-2004 at 10:54 AM.

Old 08-27-2004, 02:49 PM   #2

greta2 HB User
Re: Magnesium?

I'd like to know the answer to this also. And....can I safely take a magnesium supplement with thyroid medicine (Levoxyl)?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2004, 03:02 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

I'm no expert but perhaps they are checking for a deficiency? Magnesium is a pretty crucial mineral to good health, and it's something we all tend to be deficient in to some extent. I know from personal experience that other minerals, chiefly calcium, doesn't work well w/o magnesium present in the body at the right levels.

I just did a little googling myself to see what's up with this - turns out that a Magnesium deficiency is indeed evidence of a few diseases, thyroid diseas being one of them (low, high and auto-immune); apparently low magnesium reduces T4 levels. Interesting since my T4 is in the basement and I have been taking cal/mag for years.

From what I've read and experienced most people who are Hypo suffer from body aches and pains and taking calcium and magnesium helps with this - I have been taking the two for years to help relieve the pain associated with intense weight training. I suspect my hypo symptoms would be a lot worse if I hadn't.

Magnesium also has a laxative effect and severe constipation is often a hypo symptom.

Greta, it's my understanding that you should not take a calcium supplement w/in 4 hours of taking thyroid meds because of how it can effect absorption of the drug. Calcium is only supplement they say to wait 4 hours for; all others are 2 hours (Multi vit; iron supplement and magnesium are mentioned by name)

Cheers,
Nat

Last edited by Gopherhead; 08-27-2004 at 03:12 PM. Reason: to add more info and to idiot proof the spelling!

Old 08-27-2004, 04:55 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
Talking Re: Magnesium?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopherhead
I'm no expert but perhaps they are checking for a deficiency? Magnesium is a pretty crucial mineral to good health, and it's something we all tend to be deficient in to some extent. I know from personal experience that other minerals, chiefly calcium, doesn't work well w/o magnesium present in the body at the right levels.

I just did a little googling myself to see what's up with this - turns out that a Magnesium deficiency is indeed evidence of a few diseases, thyroid diseas being one of them (low, high and auto-immune); apparently low magnesium reduces T4 levels. Interesting since my T4 is in the basement and I have been taking cal/mag for years.

From what I've read and experienced most people who are Hypo suffer from body aches and pains and taking calcium and magnesium helps with this - I have been taking the two for years to help relieve the pain associated with intense weight training. I suspect my hypo symptoms would be a lot worse if I hadn't.

Magnesium also has a laxative effect and severe constipation is often a hypo symptom.

Greta, it's my understanding that you should not take a calcium supplement w/in 4 hours of taking thyroid meds because of how it can effect absorption of the drug. Calcium is only supplement they say to wait 4 hours for; all others are 2 hours (Multi vit; iron supplement and magnesium are mentioned by name)

Cheers,
Nat
funny: i've never had my magnesium tested in my life ... but i do take a cal:mag supplement now, and it really (if i take enough calcium, and then the ratio should be 2:1 to prevent/cure osteoP, so then i should be up around 600 mg magnesium -- well, the most i've got up to is 500mg) gave me huge diarrhoea ...

jb

Old 08-27-2004, 07:04 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinglebts
funny: i've never had my magnesium tested in my life ... but i do take a cal:mag supplement now, and it really (if i take enough calcium, and then the ratio should be 2:1 to prevent/cure osteoP, so then i should be up around 600 mg magnesium -- well, the most i've got up to is 500mg) gave me huge diarrhoea ...
What type of mineral are you taking, jb? I had big problems when I first started, taking a calcium supplement that was calcium carbonate from oyster shells - it's really hard to digest and it left me with, well, diahhrea. Minerals that are of the citrate or malate variety don't seem to have this effect on me (or others I know who take them). They cost a bit more, but are worth it as you're absorbing more. I take 1300mg cal and 500 mg magnesium on average, sometimes a little more. It's also recommended you split your dose up as the body can only use so much at once; I do one 333mg cal/ 167mg mag pill with each meal and one before bed.

Nat

Old 08-28-2004, 06:06 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

patience 50 HB User

Hi Wannabehealthy,

I have been taking a calcium/magnesium supplement for years. I am 54 and have recently had a bone mass and it showed my bone mass is way above average for a 30 year old. It is my understanding after researching subjects about keeping healthy bones, that you need magnesium in a 1/3 or better ratio to calcium for the calcium to be absorbed. I have never taken just a calcuim supplement, always a calcium/magnesium supplement. Some OTC antacids are the the right combination and that is what I have taken for the past 12 years.

The secondary effect is that it doesn help with that aweful hypo side effect, constipation. I take my synthroid first thing in the mornings. I take the antacids in early afternoon or early evening.

Info on most of this can be found by doing a simple search with key words "Bone Health or Bone Density."

I believe with bone health, as with most things, prevention is better than treatment. So if you still have strong, healthy bones, now is the time to take the right supplement to keep them.

Hope this helps you some. May God Bless You
Patience 50

Closed Thread