It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2004, 11:06 PM   #1

freebreeze HB User
Smile Generic Thyrolar

I have just been to the doctor and have been prescribed thyrolar (as requested) when I went to the pharmacy, I was given prices for both generic and brand versions of this medicine. I asked the pharmacist if there was any difference in quality and he said he wasn't sure about this particular drug. I know I need to consult my doctor again, but I was wondering if any one here has had any experiences (good or bad) with the generic, since there is a huge difference in price.

Old 08-28-2004, 08:15 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Generic Thyrolar

When I was first faced with the choice between genuine Armour and generic, I chose Armour for no other valid reasons than it was "genuine" and I could afford it.

Since then, I learned here on the board [Sorry, I can't remember who said it.] that the problem with generics is that pharmacies contract with various pharmaceutical companies to supply their generic meds, based mostly on who can offer them the best monetary deal for that particular order. This results in the possibility that you'll receive a different company's product each time you refill. Because the stability of a person's thyroid condition is so extremely dependent on the stability of their med, it isn't a good idea to go switching around every time you need to refill... and that, in effect, is what you'd be doing.
There was a suggestion made that you can have the pharmacy make a note in your refill record that you want to receive the same company's generic each time; but I think that would put you at a disadvantage if they only have another company's product on hand at that time.

Last edited by midwest1; 08-28-2004 at 08:15 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread