It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2004, 08:41 AM   #1
(female)

alana820 HB User
what will happen if I quit taking ptu

Hi everyone, I was started on ptu back in jan of this year and have taken it as prescribed since then , recently Ive been feeling sluggish and gaining weight so I decided to quit taking them about 2 weeks ago and feel great. I've continued taking the blood pressure and heart rate meds , so I feel that at least my heart wont be hyper. What other things can happen without my ptu?
last labs in july:
tsh 0.01 ref
t3free 4.0 ref 2.6-4.4
t4free 1.7 ref 0.7-1.7
tsi 110 ref <125

I really feel more energetic when I'm not taking the ptu but at the same time I don't want to do anything that might be dangerous, any thoughts on this ?Of course I can't sleep and am sweating buckets (very hot here in pa)but I'll cope with those symptoms to feel the boost in energy I have.

Last edited by alana820; 08-28-2004 at 08:43 AM. Reason: forgot tsi results

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2004, 09:23 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

K9Mom HB User
Re: what will happen if I quit taking ptu

If you are feeling HYPO symptoms while taking PTU you should immediately get new thyroid labs done as most likely you need a dose reduction. You should have new labs done every 4-8 weeks while taking PTU. Has your dose been reduced while you have been taking it?

Your July labs show that you are barely within the normal range on FT4 and FT3. This means that you still need the PTU to stay normal.

Without the PTU you most likely will go hyper again.

Normally, PTU is lowered as your FT4 and FT3 move into the normal range. The goal is to take the smallest possible dose of PTU that keeps your thyroid levels in the normal range and stable. A recent medical journal article states that one stands a good chance of going into remission if they are stable on a low dose of antithyroid medication for 6 straight months (which I interpret as being that your levels remain stable and do not fluctuate during that 6 months).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread