It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2004, 01:25 PM   #1

rocker HB User
Blood Test Results?

Dear All,
Ive had strange issues going on with my body for Approx 3 weeks. Ive had blood work, CT Scan and MRI (Of the Head) and a EEG. (Strange strobe light test?) All my blood work came back normal except......
Thyroid on the first series of blood work. The DR just said it was low.
I dont have the #s from that test. He orderd a Lyme Disease Test and
another Thyroid Test. The #s this time i have.
T3-Free 414 (230 to 420)
T4-Free 1.9 (0.8 to 1.8) This one was just over.
TSH - 2.12 (0.40 to 5.50)
So ive gone from Low? to Just over on one of these? Can anyone who has been through the #,s with their DR's shed some light on this.
My symptoms have been Aching Muscles, Tingleing in the Hands & Feet, some dizziness (Mostly gone now) Some Muscle Twitching and some muscle pain in lower Stomach. Plus more than usual Floaters in the eyes?
Im sorry for rambling on.
Im scheduled for a Thyroid test in Mid September, You take some kind of pill and come back a couple hours later for an x-ray? And the next day also?
Does anyone know what this test will show?
One more thing. When i swallow, something feels like it isnt working right on my left side of throat?
Anyone been through anything like this?
Thankyou anyone for taking the time to respond.
John

Old 08-28-2004, 02:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Blood Test Results?

Those high free T levels likely have very much to do with the way you're feeling.

The test you're scheduled for is a radioactive iodine uptake and scan. It will show whether you have nodules on your thyroid that are producing hormones apart from those the gland itself makes. If this is happening, it would account for your high blood levels of free Ts. The discomfort you have on swallowing may be due to nodules such as these.

I'm not that knowledgeable about nodules and hyper thyroidism. I hope someone else can give you more and better information.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2004, 07:46 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

K9Mom HB User
Re: Blood Test Results?

Looks like (and your symptoms sound like) you are flirting with hyperthyroidism.

The cause of 80% of hyperthyroidism is Graves disease. Other causes can be a "hot" nodule which is overproducing hormone and struma ovarii (but since you don't have ovaries I don't think that would be applicable for you ).

The good news is that your doc is running the right thyroid tests!! Many of us have to struggle with our doctors to get the FT4 and FT3 run on us. Your results show that you are at the high end and slightly over the normal range.

With hyperthyroidism your FT4 and FT3 would be high and your TSH would be below the normal range.

I would highly recommend that you get the book "Thyroid for Dummies" by Dr. Alan Rubin and do some reading up on hyperthyroidism BEFORE you get your official diagnosis. This will arm you with the information you need to ask your doctor intelligent questions and get the answers that you need when you have your appointment. Also, there are 3 treatment choices for hyperthyroidism. We all need to make sure that we know everything we can about each choice before we decide our treatment course. There are ramifications to each....some are reversible, some are not. Make sure you make an informed decision when the time comes...this book will help you immensly with that.

Another way to check for nodules - that avoids radioactive materials (which to me is a good thing ) is to request a thyroid ultrasound.

The definative test for Graves disease is a TSI (thyroid stimulating immunoglobulin antibody) lab test. This would prove or disprove that you have autoimmune hyperthyroidism, aka Graves disease.

You can read more about Graves disease here: [url]http://www.suite101.com/welcome.cfm/graves_disease[/url]

Last edited by K9Mom; 08-28-2004 at 07:49 PM.

Closed Thread