It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2004, 12:56 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

lucky charms HB User
Angry Can someone please tell me

What are the signs of adrenaline fatigue? Im wondering if thats what im going through..I have been on nature throid for what now 3 months and Im not getting any better well take back maybe Im some better.I mean my muscles arent as weak as they use to be. Any ways im on 45 mg for a few days and 30 on some b/c if i take the 45 consistently I get a rapid heart rate and Im short of breath.How it stands now I stay so depressed , tired ..All I want to do is sleep.I dont have any freaking energy.Is this a sign of adrenaline problems?.My dr said no b/c you loose weight and your sick to your stomach with adrenaline gland issues..I just wanna feel better... Maybe I should take some prednizone on my own and see if it helps...I do have some lying around b/c of my asthma problems..lol
If anyone can help..I would gladly appreciate it..

Old 08-30-2004, 05:59 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

patience 50 HB User
Re: Can someone please tell me

Adrenal fatigue is called Addison's Disease. One of the most common symptoms, and as I understand it this happens in virtually everyone with Addison's, is the rapid weight loss and nausea.

I have never been on Nature Throid but I understand some people have reactions to it. It is possible you need to split the dose and take part in the morning and part in the afternoon to prevent heart palpitations.

In any event, this is something you should definitely talk to your Dr. about. Palpations can be frightening and you should know what is happening and why.

Good luck and May God Bless You
Patience 50

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2004, 06:26 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

There are much lesser degrees of adrenal stress before it progresses to Addison's, Patience. Mild forms don't always have such severe symptoms. My doctor gave me a trial of Cortef to see if it would help with my muscle aches (which he called fibromyalgia from possible adrenal stress, but I'm not so sure about that... We'll see.)

Don't go taking prednisone on your own, likeme. The strength you have there is probably far too strong for mild adrenal fatigue, which is treated with very low-dose steroids. Bad idea. Really bad idea.
Perhaps the T3 in the NT is too much for you, causing the heart rhythm probs and shortness of breath. Have you had your free T3 tested, or have you tried a T4-only med?

Whatever... convince your dr. how much these symptoms are affecting your life, and demand he do something more than he is doing to help you.

Old 08-30-2004, 06:44 AM   #4

KandiKane HB User

What tests are done for adrenal fatigue???

Old 08-30-2004, 07:38 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

patience 50 HB User

I believe they test for cotisol levels. Do a search for addison's or adrenal fatigue and it will give you much more info. Or check and see if there is an addison's or adrenal board and see what the disease is and what is tested and how it affects you.

May God Bless You
Patience 50

Old 08-30-2004, 09:36 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeme28
What are the signs of adrenaline fatigue? Im wondering if thats what im going through..I have been on nature throid for what now 3 months and Im not getting any better well take back maybe Im some better.I mean my muscles arent as weak as they use to be. Any ways im on 45 mg for a few days and 30 on some b/c if i take the 45 consistently I get a rapid heart rate and Im short of breath.How it stands now I stay so depressed , tired ..All I want to do is sleep.I dont have any freaking energy.Is this a sign of adrenaline problems?.My dr said no b/c you loose weight and your sick to your stomach with adrenaline gland issues..I just wanna feel better... Maybe I should take some prednizone on my own and see if it helps...I do have some lying around b/c of my asthma problems..lol
If anyone can help..I would gladly appreciate it..
With any thyroid med that contains T3 (Armour, Naturethroid, Westhroid, Biothroid, Thyrolar, Cytomel...) It is best to take the exact same dose every day, to avoid fluctuations that may cause symptoms.

Another thing that helps is to spilt the dose and take half in the morning and half in the afternoon. You might try that and see if you can tolerate taking the 45mg dose every day that way. For many people, that is all it takes to help them tolerate their meds better.

The reason is this: when you take thyroid meds by mouth, your blood levels of Free T3 and Free T4 go abnormally high for several hours after you take the dose. This may last for up to 8 hours. Once your body recognizes that the thyroid levels have risen, it starts releasing a protein caled Thyroid Binding Globulin into your blood that will bind to the T3 and T4, so that they are stored for when they are needed, and the symptoms subside.

Splitting the dose and spreading it out by several hours will make that peak in levels smaller, thus avoiding many symptoms caused by the surge. Even if you are not getting the symptoms caused by the surge in levels like that, splitting the dose helps many of us with afternoon tiredness and helps us to sleep better at night, too.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Last edited by Meep; 08-30-2004 at 09:46 AM.

Old 08-31-2004, 12:07 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

lucky charms HB User

Thanks everyone for all the important advise..Im going to try to split the dose in half and see if that works...If not I will be back to square one..Though Im not getting a surge after taking it actually Im not feeling anything at all from it.Its just after I have been taking it for a couple of weeks at the 45 I start having the heart thing and the shortness of breath so I back it down to 30 for a few days and the symptoms dissappear and I have to start all over again. "shrug shoulders".
Midwest they havent taken a free t3 on me since I have started treatment only before and it was 158 ( 85 - 205 ) Im not for sure if thats bad or good.
Thank you everyone

Last edited by likeme28; 08-31-2004 at 12:23 AM.

Old 08-31-2004, 04:32 PM   #8

josiefar HB User

Everyone has given you excellent advice, so I will try not to repeat too much of what has already been said.

It sounds like you may have mild adrenal fatigue as well as thyroid issues. It's important that you have your cortisol levels tested to confirm adrenal fatigue because if your adrenals are not working properly, the thyroid medication will not be effective.

You should also have your female hormone levels tested (estrogen, progesterone) as well as testostorone and pregnenolone. If they are in the low range, that could also be an indication of adrenal fatigue.

I've been struggling for years to find out why I feel so fatigued and I started going to a oesteopath a few months ago. I have mild adrenal fatigue, borderline hypothyroid and my female hormones (estrogen, progesterone, testostorone, pregnenolone) are so low they are at levels seen in post-menopausal women and I'm only 43 and haven't gone through menopause yet.

Unfortunately, I'm allergic to thyroid hormone (both Synthroid and Armour) as well as the pregnenolone the doctor gave me to boost my adrenals. I haven't tried Cortef (cortisone) yet and that may be the next step for me.

I'm telling you my story because I don't want you to get discouraged. It's taken me about 4 years, several doctors, CT scans, MRIs, sonograms and several other diagnostic tests to find out I have an adrenal/thyroid problem. Please follow up on all of the hormone tests I mention above and find a different doctor if you feel this doctor cannot help you.

You've come to the right place. The people on this board are very helpful, caring and supportive. It's a wonderful forum and I am so thankful I found it.

Old 09-01-2004, 11:14 AM   #9
(female)

gillcrow HB User
Question Re: Can someone please tell me

Is being treated with sythroid going to help with adrenal fatigue or do you need a medication specifically for that? i'm just curoius. I have a follow-up appointment myself on the 10th and am going to inquire with my physician about the adrenals. Back in July when I had gone in and was tested all of my hormone levels including testosterone, estriodal, and progesterone were all in the "low"normal range she state ( i have copies and they are low but in a normal lab range)also she checked the cortisol but not a saliva test the only thing they took was blood and urine. She said that was normal. I also have very low cholesterol 120 (lab was 128-200 for normal) for which it has always been low at least 10 years and she said oh don't worry about that....In August she decided to start me on 25mcg of Synthroid, yippee, been about 3 weeks, don't feel any different than before. Anyhow, with adrenal problems do you have edema (water retention) and problems losing weight? My body temperature is always low too....thanks! oh and I had problems with acid reflux really bad for quite some time and it finally started going away however since starting the thyroid it has come back and is really bad. i've had to start taking prevacid again as i was waking up 3 and 4 times a night! Anyone else have a problem such as that with a meesly 25mcg of synthroid?
Thanks!
Gillcrow

Closed Thread