It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2004, 07:03 AM   #1
(female)

hypokelly HB User
Do I have thyroid problem???

Hi,
I wondered if anyone can help me??
I have not felt well in quite some time now, doc has done tests galore found....
TMJ(jaw locking)
glasses(headaces,occasional blurred vision,eye pain,some puffiness)
prolasped heart valve(chest pain, flutters)
asthma??(rattle,pneumonia last year)
oesteoarthritis( joint pain)
IBS(constipation,cramps,bloating, gas)
Ok doc has sent me for everthing but I still think it all stems from my thyroid.
Why? you ask?Well, My mother has had a thyroid problem since before I was born(39yrs),I have been packing on the pounds,tried every diet,can't lose(50lbs)
My skin is so dry, itchy(crawly and tingly),my hair is dry and falls out, nails are brittle,I am so irriatable,no memory, tremors in hands, nervousness and scared of everything, cramping in hands,feet and legs,fatigue and my newest symptom is my period.....one day is really heavy....nothing the next day..... then it comes back for 2 days .This has has happened the last 3 months.
So I started thinking it might be meneapause.
Doc has tested me twice for thyroid, she said the one test came back borerline. Should I get her to send me to a endo or just get her to retest? She had me on a antidepressant, but took myself off.
I don't like being dismissed as "depressed and stressed", but I'm sure I am labelled as a hypochondriac.
What do you think? could it be my thyroid or not??

Old 08-30-2004, 09:38 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

SarahF HB User
Re: Do I have thyroid problem???

You sound like hypothyroid to me. Get lab results and the ranges for us to look at. Being in the "normal range" doesn't mean very much.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2004, 11:28 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypokelly
Doc has tested me twice for thyroid, she said the one test came back borerline. Should I get her to send me to a endo or just get her to retest? She had me on a antidepressant, but took myself off.

What do you think? could it be my thyroid or not??
Kelly, it sounds like your Thyroid to me, but I'm just a newbie when it comes to this. I am also borderline w/ similar symptoms. The problem with general practitioners is they do the wrong tests. Most will run a TSH and that's it. You need to have your Free T's tested, FT3 and FT4. You should also have your antibodies checked for the autoimmune type of HypoT.

It would help if you could list the tests done and the ranges the lab uses for 'normal' - there are a lot of very knowledgeable people on this board and they can help you. I know they've helped me a whole lot.

Nat

Old 08-31-2004, 04:46 PM   #4

josiefar HB User

It sounds like you may have mild adrenal fatigue. Symptoms of adrenal fatigue are sensitivity to light, getting scared very easily, dizziness when standing too quickly and PMS to name a few.

You should have your cortisol levels tested. If they are at the low range, it could be adrenal fatigue. If your adrenals aren't working properly neither will your thyroid. Go on the Addison's message board on this site. There's a lot of good info there.

Old 08-31-2004, 11:00 PM   #5
(female)

plus1more HB User

Five years ago I was diagnosed and had all of your symptoms. I even had lock jaw once. My Primary Care Physician said I definitely have TMJ too.
If my TSH isn't in the 1.0 - 2.0 range, I can't function. My TSH when first diagnosed was 4.28, and I was bearly functioning and going bald. I didn't feel well until I was up to 150 mcg Synthroid. At 50 mcg I was still crying at anything, and when I cried in front of the doctor, he labled me "emotional".
Look through the TMJ message board too.

Old 10-12-2004, 07:05 AM   #6
(female)

hypokelly HB User

HI All,
thanks to all that have replied,I was starting to feel better, but the last
week I'm back to feeling like crap.
I was at the walk-in clinic last week as I had chest pain,wasn't sure if it was heart related or lung. Doc put it down to lung, and put me on a antibotic. Last night was scared thought I was either having heart attack or asthma attack,or anxiety,not really sure what the heck it is.
I'm still here though, so don,t know what to do. ER takes hours and doc probably can't fit me in, plus hubby is away and who is going to look afeter the kids if they keep me.
I'm so concerned they will put it down to anxiety and put me back on a antidepressant.

Closed Thread