It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2004, 01:40 PM   #1

suncats HB User
Question I'm new to this thyroid stuff

My gyn tested my thyroid with a routine blood test and I was told to see an internist. They said my TSH was 7.79. Does that mean hyper or hypo thyroidism? I was told over the phone, but they both sound the same to me. I thought they said hyper--but the symptoms for that don't seem to apply to me. Frankly, I feel fine. I'm finding it harder to control my weight in spite of exercise and eating better, but I chalked that up to getting older (I'm 42).

I'm not used to having health problems. Is this serious? What does this lead to, if anything.

Thanks so much for any reponse. I have a dr. appt. for next week, but I'm already starting to worry. I don't have good insurance. Could I be put on expensive drugs, or treatment?

Old 08-30-2004, 02:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User
Re: I'm new to this thyroid stuff

Hi and welcome to the healthboards!
Your TSH indicates hypothyroidism. Please don't worry. It sounds like you don't have many symptoms at all so yours is probably in the very early stage. It's great that your gyn even tested for it. Most doctors won't bother testing until the symptoms are much more severe.
As far as the expense for the meds, your doctor will probably start you out on either Synthroid or Levoxyl and the usual starting dose is 50mcgs (.05mgs). It's a natural synthetic (made in a lab) t4 hormone that your body produces anyway. It's nothing that's going to harm you if taken as prescribed. The cost in the US is around $18-$20 for a 30 day supply.
You'll be surprised when you talk to people about this just how many of your friends and maybe even family have it.
I was diagnosed a year ago with this and unlike you, my doctor tried to make me think all my symptoms were due to stress and depression. Instead of testing me for thyroid disease, he let me get worse and worse. Because of this, it is taking a long long time for me to get well. That's why I think you're lucky.
If you haven't already, read the stickys at the top of the page. They're a lot of reading but well worth it.
Barb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2004, 03:48 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

heddy73 HB User

I agree with Bosmom, It took 7 yrs to find a dr that wouldn't give me anti-depressant meds for my synptoms. 4 dr's later I found one that listened to the symptoms and treated my body not just the lab numbers. I take Synthroid and it costs around $10 a month. I have a so-so prescription plan. You do have to have blood work done a little more often than I guess "normal" people do. Good luck. The people on these bords are very friendly and seem to know there stuff. I'm newly dx with HYPO and have learned a great deal from them.

Old 08-31-2004, 08:48 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

SarahF HB User

You are definitely Hypo. Be patient, sometimes it can take a while.

Closed Thread