It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2004, 06:12 AM   #1
Senior Veteran

AprilPow HB User
Red face hair falling out

Hey everyone! Just wanted to say my hair is starting to get really thin! :-(

My hair was never super thick, but I did have plenty and now its getting pretty pathetic. Every morning in the shower I have a good clump afterwards..and I need to pull it out of my drain about once or twice a week or it starts to clog. My hair is just past my shoulders too. I want to dye it but am afraid MORE hair will come out.

What did you guys do to fix that? Once I get regular will that straighten out?
I am still waiting for my appt on the 15th, it seems so long away!

(I have graves)

thanks anyone!

Old 08-31-2004, 06:40 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
Re: hair falling out

Hi!! When I had severe symptoms of graves my hair would fall out like crazy too. I thought I would have to buy a wig. When your thyroid levels get straightend out it will quit falling out. That is what happened to me. I don't know if you can dye your hair. Someone else will probably know the answer to that. Take care of yourself!!

Betty

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2004, 08:04 AM   #3
(female)

amrita HB User

I read an article by someone who said she had good luck with Evening Primrose Oil.

Last edited by aardvark; 09-01-2004 at 07:21 AM.

Old 08-31-2004, 02:16 PM   #4
(female)

mystiq86 HB User

Not too long ago my hair was falling out so bad that it would clog the shower drain every day. My hair was really thick before, but naturally it's thinned a lot since them. I noticed that after I got my hair hilighted, plus the fact that my health was declining, is when it started to really fall out. It took months before it slowed down, now very little falls out. Have you told your doctor about this? Also, it could be a side effect from a medication. Well, I wish you luck. I know how stressful it can be to lose your hair.

Old 08-31-2004, 02:36 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

bharkins HB User

My hair has also gotten very thin. I don't know if it is from hypertensive medications or my thyroid. My doctor said that my TSH came back normal, but I do have multinodular goiter. He will not treat me with a normal TSH. I get sudden episodes of excessive sweating, dizziness and anxiety. Medication or thyroid?

Old 08-31-2004, 03:26 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

K9Mom HB User

The best thing for your hair is getting your thyroid levels normal and stable. It took me a few months AFTER my levels were stable for the hair issue to resolve. But rest assured that it WILL grow back!

While mine was "shedding" as I called it, I quit brushing my hair and used only a wide toothed comb (like a pick) on it. I also quit pulling it back in a pony tail because I felt that put additional stress on it.

Once I started having it grow back, I decided to cut it short and have my whole head look healthy again.

Old 08-31-2004, 06:53 PM   #7

mom2alliandmatt HB User

I am hypo and my hair is falling out like crazy too. I have to sweep my bathroom floor every two days or so, my hair just covers the floor. I find my hair laying everywhere, kitchen floor, bedroom floor, on my shoulders, back, sinks,,,anyway,, I hope mine slows down here soon.

Tonya

Old 08-31-2004, 07:22 PM   #8

KandiKane HB User

I also lost a LOT of hair (including eyebrows) along with a number of other symptoms. However, it's the hair loss that finally convinced me to get to my doctor where I found out I was having a bout of thyroiditis. I took no medication other than an OTC anti-inflammatory. Of all of my symptoms, the hair loss was the first thing that improved. I hope this will only be a short episode for you too. So many of the things that go along with thyroid disease are really uncomfortable, but a girl NEEDS her hair (and her eyebrows!) lol Hope you see an improvement soon.

Old 09-01-2004, 05:42 AM   #9
Senior Veteran

AprilPow HB User
Wink Re: hair falling out

thanks everyone.

I am not on any meds yet. I go back to the doc on fri and I should be starting SOMETHING by then!

I can't wait to start moving forward. I am so sick of not sleeping well too.
Last night I didn't fall asleep til 5am! Which sucks when you have kids!!

April

Closed Thread