It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2004, 09:28 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

annemv HB User
Sorry, I just need to get this off my chest!

I have once again had my mind blown away, by yet another doctor.

I went to a new holistic DO. He is into Chinese med. and has started me on accupucture. He has ordered T3 test, which should come back tomorrow.
He says my T4 is low and it appears that I am hypo.
He is also concerned about growth hormone, much too low for someone my age. I told him it is too expensive right now. ( I have to fork out all the money for accupuncture and all of these other things they always want me to try, that have not worked)

He looked at my ASI saliva and said it all looks fine, no reason for anything there. He also stated he does not find saliva tests accurate.

This is the exact opposite of the last Dr. who said some of my problem was related to adrenal. And of course low growth hormone.

Then we have the wonderful HMO endos who say nothing has to do with the endocrine system, take a zoloft. They have also told me that low growth hormone means nothing.

Now, I know I sound like a whiner, and I know alot of other people have this problem, I just needed to get it off of my chest. I think my husband is getting tired of hearing it!( I dont blame him)

So I guess what I am wondering is:

Does any Dr know what they are talking about?

Is the new Dr checking T3 to see what med I need?

What comes first the chicken(thyroid) or the egg(adrenal)
And can one fixed problem balance the other out?

Sorry to ramble. I just want to say for the last year I have felt like Sherlock Homes trying to solve a mystery alone. This board though really helps, I feel like there is support from people who understand and that makes a BIG difference!
Thanks Anne

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2004, 10:24 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bellajoon HB User
Re: Sorry, I just need to get this off my chest!

Hi Anne,
You are not a whiner! You deserve good care from doctors. He needs to order Free T3 and Free T4 tests. Those are the better indicator of your thyroid function. I really don't know anything about the adrenals so hopefully someone else will post an answer to your question. I know it is a pain always getting different answers from different doctors. I guess you just have to keep looking for someone who will help you.

Old 08-31-2004, 10:36 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

annemv HB User

Hi Chris, I think you responded to my ASI test before, I will post them here also.
ASI saliva test
8am cortisol 6 (13-24)
12pm 5 (5-10)
4pm 4 (3-8)
12am 4 (1-4)
cortisol burden 19 (23-42)

DHEA 5 (3-10)
What do you think?

Old 08-31-2004, 05:35 PM   #4

claireoz HB User

Hi annemv!

I just had to respond to your Sherlock Holmes coment! Made me LOL cos that's what I've been saying to everyone for the last cpl of weeks! It's insane that we have to do all this research and have our minds consumed with all these different facts and figures that we don't fully comprehend, when that's what the doctors are supposed to have gune to uni for and get paid to already know! I know that obviously there are benefits to understanding it all yourself and taking control of your own health blahdiblah, but the reality is, I'm sure all of us here would have preferred to have gone to the doctor, had a test that showed something in black and white, and gotten a conventional treatment for it so we could get on with our lives. I am like you, going on 10 months of feeling ill, am not working, have no money to speak of, and what little I do goes on docs. Having been down the conventional route and even tried two different anti-depressants (which I adamantly didn't think I needed), I am now forking out money for chiropractors, accupuncturists, and am in between two naturopaths at the moment - one who has ordered all the thyroid panels plus DHEA, growth hormone, etc (which I get back on Sat), and another who is testing me for all food allergies and candida and stuff. I feel like I'm sooooo close to the solution now as these docs really think they can help me get my life back, but I hope it's not another false lead and false hope. Let me just say I feel your situation and you are not alone in your quest. These boards have helped me tremendously also. One of the holistic docs was actually recommended off Mary Shomon's site so I do feel it's worthwhile keeping up this network of support so that we can help others and vice versa.

Hang in there, I'm searching too!!!

Closed Thread