It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2004, 12:10 PM   #1

ldylavender HB User
Re: I think my aunts alzheimers is really hypothyroidism

you should have them check for a B-12 deficiency also, as it has many of the same symptoms of hypothyroid. The B-12 deficiency and alzheimers connection has been in the news recently.

Old 09-01-2004, 01:57 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

That's very interesting, Chris. Living Well With Hypothyroidism contains an account written by a woman whose mother had early dementia while the woman was growing up. After her own diagnosis, she realized in hindsight that it was probably hypoT that caused her to lose her mother so early... but no one had recognized it. Try to have those closest to your aunt read it, so they can know the truth about what hypoT can do.
Please keep us updated on what happens next.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2004, 03:37 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User

I believe there is a strong connection between thyroid disease and alzheimers. In fact, I think doctors will some day come to the definite conclusion that alzheimers is an autoimmune disease closely related to the thyroid. That's just my speculation but I wouldn't at all be surprised.
My dad has alzheimers. I had the doctor check his thyroid. It was at a VA hospital. They only did TSH. It was 2.3 I think. He has congestive heart failure so there was no way the doctor was going to rx t4 drugs unless his TSH was way out there. I, of course, have hypothyroidism and so does my dad's brother. His brother is also in the early stages of alzheimers.
Looking back, I think my mom may have had a thyroid or adrenal problem too. She used to get depressed and she wouldn't have energy to do anything, She would go to the doctor and he would give her a B12 shot and she would just zip around the house. We'd call her speed racer then.
Anyway, I'm getting off topic here.
I hope your aunt gets tested soon.
Barb

Old 09-07-2004, 12:55 PM   #4

Eeyore22 HB User

I was thinking the same thing about my grandmother, too. But I again have nothing other than a diagnosis of Alzheimers to go by. I had the same thought when I read the book previously mentioned. I may mention it to my mother and see what happens. My poor grandmother - she did everything they tell you to do to keep your mind sharp - puzzles, crossword puzzles, reading - it is very scary to see what may be waiting down the road.

Keep us posted.

Carol

Old 09-07-2004, 01:03 PM   #5
Veteran

mintchocolate HB User

I am convinced my Dad had hypo, he sufered for years and died. I wished I had known about this, just a simple pill would have made all the difference in the world, instead he was diagnosed with depression, and dementia (very much like alzheimer). We are 5 kids 2 with diabetes and hypo and 3 with hypo. You are doing the right thing by bringing this to your aunts attention.

Mintchoc

Closed Thread