It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2004, 11:14 AM   #1
(female)

aliwalk HB User
Unhappy Please be honest – I am ready to throw up my white flag

And see a psychiatrist. After waiting a month or so, I FINALLY saw the endo. today. I even brought in my previous lab results – TSH is 2.33 and he told me that everything looks GREAT. He checked my thyroid and said it was fine. He did not even bother to take a blood test.

Let me also add that this endo is supposed to be the “best” doctor there is in this city (which he did not mind mentioning that himself; a tad cocky) – he was the head of the Endocrinology dept. at the University of Texas for so many years, and when he retired, he decided to go into private practice. I think I read somewhere that he is the director of that department at the hospital he works out of. So needless to say, he IS an expert in his field.

I explained to him my symptoms, that I feel like I need a nap at any given time of the day, brain fog, I am FREEZING all the time, brittle nails, hair, I have endometriosis, etc. I did tell him that the anti-depressants that the doctors have been prescribing me just don’t work. I end up feeling MORE like a zombie.

So, he refers me to a psychiatrist, because, according to him, they have better judgment as to which anti-depressants would work better for me. So basically, I am depressed and that is the end of it.

I left the office wanting to cry, but somehow I would not let the tears fall. So that is why I would like your honest opinion, should I just give up and see the psychiatrist or should I try to get another opinion. I really am tired of bouncing from doctor to doctor.

Thanks for your time.

Ali

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2004, 11:31 AM   #2

tumblina HB User
Re: Please be honest – I am ready to throw up my white flag

I'm so sorry the endo didn't listen to you. In my not-so-expert opinion, psychiatric conditions shouldn't be causing brittle nails and hair and being cold all the time. I have heard though, that many psychiatrists are trained to look for thyroid problems, since many symptoms overlap - you might have better luck with them!

Have you ever gotten your Free T's checked? Would it be possible to order them yourself through the website that was posted here a while back? With the proper numbers, the experts here might be able to tell you whether it's your thyroid or not. Hopefully someone else will also jump in with other possibilities.

I just wanted to say "hang in there".

Old 09-01-2004, 12:06 PM   #3
(female)

aliwalk HB User

Thanks Chris - I have never heard of an osteopath, is it like homeopath? How do I look for one?

Thanks!

Old 09-01-2004, 01:51 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Osteopaths have all the education and training that medical doctors do, plus more. Insurances usually have no qualms about reimbursing their services. In my city, osteopaths are listed under their own heading in the Yellow Pages, under "Physicians and Surgeons, Doctors of Osteopathy, (DO)." If you live in a small community, there may not be a separate listing like that though.

And the suggestion to see the psych anyway may be a good one. The very best of them will look at thyroid before anything else, and maybe you'll get one like that. It was a foot doctor, (imagine that!) who did a screening TSH test on my daughter. You just never know which speciality will be your ally in thyroid matters.

Old 09-01-2004, 05:08 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sue1234 HB User

Hi. I think I went to that same doctor about 4 years ago. He said the same exact thing to me about the psychiatrist! He did give me an autographed book, and was just as you describe him. Needless to say, I did not return to him. There is another "big" thyroid doctor in Houston that seemed to take my information more seriously and felt a previously undiagnosed thyroid nodule. The results were benign, but it did show lymphocytic thyroiditis, which he said was Hashimoto's. I'm one of those people that had no antibody elevation. Right now I'm trying different meds, but all have intolerable side effects that seem like going from hypo straight into hyper. Oh well, I'll keep researching.....

Keep looking for the right doctor.

Old 09-02-2004, 05:31 AM   #6
(female)

aliwalk HB User

Sue –

Can you give me referral? I live in Houston! Thanks!

Old 09-02-2004, 07:21 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

sue1234 HB User

Hi! I'm new to this and not sure what amount of info I am allowed to give regarding names. Can someone clue me in?!

Old 09-02-2004, 07:57 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sue1234
Hi! I'm new to this and not sure what amount of info I am allowed to give regarding names. Can someone clue me in?!
Scroll all the way to the bottom of the subject page and click "Frequently Asked Questions". The board rules are clearly outlined there.
Welcome to the board!

Old 09-02-2004, 08:43 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

sue1234 HB User

Thanks Midwest!

Aliwalk, the doctor I recently went to was Dr. Arem. He's the author of the book many members praise, The Thyroid Solution. He ordered all appropriate tests, except the ft3 and ft4! So, since I've been feeling such hyper symptoms on any small dose of three different meds, I asked my pcp to run a tsh, and free t's. He would only run a tsh, t4, and t3. My t3 came back at
206(range 60-181), so I was only able to conclude that, because of the high t3, that I, indeed, was feeling hyper. Arem's office wasn't concerned about my out of range t3's with hyper symptoms. So, once again, I'm back at square one with not knowing which direction to take. His office was very helpful in getting all the necessary labs, biopsies, ultrasound done in a matter of 24 hours, as we live 3 hours away.

Old 09-02-2004, 08:45 AM   #10
(female)

aliwalk HB User

Thank you so much Sue! . I will look him up (hopefully he accepts my insurance). I really appreciate it

Last edited by aliwalk; 09-02-2004 at 08:45 AM.

Closed Thread