It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2004, 07:28 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bellajoon HB User
My Son's new Dr. appt

Hello all,
My son has an appointment this morning with a new doctor. I am going in with him, even though he is almost 20. I want to make sure she tests everything! He is feeling very fatigued and his last TSH (only test other doctor would test) was 3.68. He is on .50 generic synthroid.
I am going in with some printouts of new TSH ranges and other information I have been compiling. His appointment is in a few hours so will let you know how it goes.

Old 09-02-2004, 10:40 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bellajoon HB User
Re: My Son's new Dr. appt

Well, we just got back. I wasn't very impressed with her. She says she usually only tests TSH because it is the most sensitive test. I told her I wanted the Free T's tested and she said ok. I also told her that I am take T4 and T3 meds and she said that it might also work for my son. She did say that some people do better with a lower TSH, and then I proceeded to tell her that mine is lower than the lab ranges and my doctor says it is ok as long as my Free #'s look good. I won't find out anything until next week.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2004, 11:13 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

Good luck, Bellajoon, getting your son treated. It still amazes me how little doctors in general and specilists in particular seem to understand this disease. I have an appointment with an Endo next week and I'm not all that optimistic. I am taking my husband in with me for support and help - I can't seem to remember all my symptoms or keep a calm and level head when it comes to dealing with these doctors.

All the best to both of you,
Nat

Old 09-02-2004, 03:38 PM   #4

bubblebug64 HB User

Bellajoon,
Good luck for you and your son. For all of the kindness you have shown everyone on this board, i hope for only the best for you both. You deserve it. Know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.
bubblebug

Old 09-02-2004, 09:09 PM   #5
Inactive

JohnsBabe HB User
Smile Re: My Son's new Dr. appt

Bellajoon...how did your son's appointment with the new doctor go? I hope it went well!

Old 09-03-2004, 08:58 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bellajoon HB User

Johnsbabe,
I wasn't impressed with the doctor. She said she usually only tests TSH because it is the most sensitive of all tests. Also she said she likes her patients to have taken their meds before bloodwork. I had to request Free T3 and Free T4 bloodwork. I told her that my doctor (GYN) doesn't look at the TSH, but the Free #'s. She probably thought I was an idiot, but I made sure she knew that I had done a lot of research. I will wait until I see the lab results and what she recommends. If she discounts anything, I will take the lab results to another doctor. I am doing great on my meds and feel much better. It might be that my son needs a T3 med like me.

Old 09-03-2004, 11:18 AM   #7
Inactive

JohnsBabe HB User

Well you did good, Bellajoon! I'm glad you were there to help your son...that may very well save him from years of unnecessary suffering before finally receiving a proper diagnosis (like so many of us here have had). Hopefully this doctor will come through for him.

And I'm glad you're feeling so much better! Gives me hope...

Old 09-03-2004, 11:20 AM   #8
Inactive

JohnsBabe HB User
Smile Re: My Son's new Dr. appt

Hmmm...when I posted last night I didn't even see your earlier post regarding the doctor's visit...and I thought I read everything! Sorry.

Old 09-09-2004, 02:40 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bellajoon HB User

Hello all,
I have been gone for a few days. I just received a fax from the Dr's office with my son's blood test results. Here they are.
Free T4 1.33 Range .61-1.76
T3 (Triiodothyronine) 128 range 85-205 I thought they were doing a Free T3
TSH 11.05 range .35-5.50
I am quite concerned that the TSH from June was 3.68 and now it is 11.05. I am waiting for a call back to see what is next. Hopefully dosage increase. I have in the back of my mind also that he is now taking the generic form of synthroid. Wonder if that has anything to do with it. He has been complaining of fatigue for quite awhile now even before the med switch. Any advice?

Closed Thread