It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2004, 08:29 AM   #1
(female)

Sandy373 HB User
Exclamation Is anybody else experincing this with hypo?

hello everybody,
I'm new to this forum. I've recently been having problems with my thyroid and don't know where to turn. My symptoms seem to be everywhere and the doctors don't think they are related. It started with me having cysts on my ovaries due to not having mentrals. The doctor did the hormone test and it came back that I'm hypo. Then I've had repeated uninary infections and back pains and they think I might have kidney stones. (if they'll ever get my test back in) I've started on synthiod (about 4wks) but since I started I've had other symptoms. My heart paces several times during the day. I"m getting pains in the back of my neck followed by headaches all day. I've been extremely tired and experience swelling of the face and hands whenever I try to do things around the house. I have a lymth node on the side of my neck that's been there for about 2mths. I'm seeing an endo who seems to think these are not realated and just don't care to hear my symptoms. I've been with fighting him just to have a biopsy done on nodules in my thyroid. He did a sonogram and found several nodules. The one he's doing a FNA on a cystic nodule the size of a dime. I can feel it when I swallow and have had problems swallowing my synthoid and food. My main concern is the possibility of cancer. I had radiation done to my vocal cords 13 yrs ago and learned that puts me in a higher risk for thyroid cancer. So how do I get the doctor to take me serious and what should I do? Do I need to request a catscan and MRI ? Any info would be appreciated. I'm just so scared right now. I'm normally healthy and never take medicine, but the last few months has just been one thing after another.

Last edited by Sandy373; 09-02-2004 at 09:17 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2004, 08:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Is anybody else experincing this with hypo?

The ovarian cysts, lack of periods, and urinary infections may all be linked to your hypoT. The thyroid controls the functions of every bodily system, and its malfunction can therefore create symptoms in any of them as well.

Synthroid causes headaches in a fair number of users, especially early in treatment. If you think your headaches are connected to the Synthroid, you should ask to try another brand of T4.
The heart rate problem may be related to your body getting used to the sudden supply of T4 that it hasn't had for a long time. It isn't necessarily a dangerous sign that something is wrong with your heart. But if at any time you feel threatened by palpitations or a rapid heart beat, you should immediately go to the ER or call your doctor. Rest well-assured that it isn't likely to be a heart attack... but it shouldn't be ignored, either.
Doctors are notoriously bad about telling you about the side effects that T4 meds can cause in the beginning. Either they don't want to plant ideas in your head, or they're ignorant themselves about what the meds can do. (My opinion is the latter.)

The order of testing for nodules is generally sonogram, then FNA, then RAI uptake and scan. I think it's rare that MRIs or CT scans are ever done on the thyroid.
If you can, get a copy of Thyroid For Dummies by Dr. Alan Rubin. It explains the tests and treatments for all the thyroid diseases, and it may help you come to terms with all of this.

I completely understand about it being one thing after another. I'm at that point now myself.
Let us know how the biopsy turns out... and let us know if we can help further.

Last edited by midwest1; 09-02-2004 at 08:31 PM. Reason: spelling... It's late here. duh

Old 09-02-2004, 09:53 PM   #3
(female)

Sandy373 HB User
Re: Is anybody else experincing this with hypo?

The more I look around on here, the more I realize everyone is going through alot of the same things. My endo doc makes me feel crazy by telling me my symptoms have nothing to do with my thyroid. It's great to have a place to share our stories with everyone. I know it's really helped me find out information I couldn't find elsewhere. Thanks so much for the help Midwest1. I'll have to pick that book up tomorrow. I hope things go well with you too.

Closed Thread