It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2004, 04:22 PM   #1
(female)

Lore HB User
Lightbulb I feel so sick!!

To make my long story short here the my issue was diagnosed with Grave's Hyperthyroiditis, did RAI to destroy Thyroid I guess, became hypothyroid after words, now its been over a year and still out of control I've been on Synthroid started @ 50mcg now @ 137mcg see no improvement. I went to the doctor last week and told her I have both hypo and hyper symptoms, she said I was crazy that its one or the other, did blood work and it came back as being both hypo and hyperthyroiditis, at this point I don't understand why, she doesnt explain herself well either. Has anyone been diagnosed with both at the same time. Could there be an error. Also what can I do, I feel very but very tired and extremely sick, I have so many symptoms of both I can't stand it I'm currently at risk to loosing one of my p/t jobs because of excessive absences.
At this point I don't know who to talk to, and if I do it's to people who don't understand what I'm going through and think its just me. I saw this board hoping to hear from people who might guide me in helping me what to do. I feel I'm going to bust!

Last edited by Lore; 09-02-2004 at 04:35 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2004, 08:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB User
Re: Thyroid Problem

Hypo hyper symptoms happen a lot with Hashi's, so many of us know how that feels.
Most on this board are hypo, but we do have some who have gone through Graves and RAI.
Can you post those test results for us? Are your free numbers hypo/hyper or is just your TSH hyper and Frees hypo?

Last edited by dea4; 09-03-2004 at 08:34 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2004, 10:04 AM   #3
(female)

Lore HB User

I'll try to get the information and post it as soon as I get them, whats Hashimoto Thyroid disease?

Old 09-07-2004, 06:59 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hashi's is a condition where there are antibodies attacking the thyroid and killing it eventually making you totally hypo. Hashi's is the leading cause of hypo-T.

Old 09-08-2004, 10:21 AM   #5
(female)

Lore HB User

Well I was consired Hyperthyroid then after RAI went Hypothyroid, but then after a while @ one time I was finally normal with my levels. I was taking 100mcg @ the time but then I felt sick maybe 3 weeks later and 6 weeks later had blood results that came back both hyperthyroid and hypothyroid and now taking 137mcg and have not felt any better.

Old 09-08-2004, 07:24 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User

Lore,
I feel your pain. I also had RAI after being diagnosed with Graves. Mine was done in November of 2002. I have yet to "feel good" or have "good labs". I have never experienced having labs that showed me both hyper and hypo, but I have definately experiencd symptoms of both. Just like you, my labs were closest to normal when I was on 100mcg of Levoxyl (about 5 months after RAI), but the way I understand it is my thyroid was still slowly dying off. I am now on 200mcg of Levoxyl & 5mcg of Cytomel. I go for another doctors visit tomorrow for new labs, but I can tell you already that they will still be hypo. I'm very confused myself. I don't know if my thyroid is still dying or if the antibodies are continuing to kill any of it that is left. I did find out recently that I still have a lot of antibodies typical in Hashimotos (but was diagnosed with the Graves antibodies). Anyhow, just keep fighting and going and getting your levels checked & fighting. You might also start looking for a better doctor & stand up for yourself! When she doesn't explain well, make her do it -- I'm on my 3rd and still working him hard Sometimes you realize that THEY don't know the answers (that's a good indication it's time for a new doc) It's tough, but in order to feel better it's realy what we have to do. It will all have to even out eventually.

Old 09-09-2004, 08:06 AM   #7
(female)

Lore HB User

Thanks for the advice, I'm already looking for a new doctor. Yesterday I spoke with a endocronologist professor, he told me the same thing to look for another doctor plus he said that maybe a possibility I may have something else besides the Graves Disease because of symptoms. He also advice me to check if amount of RAI Treatment didn't destroy any other part besides Thyroid.

Old 09-09-2004, 08:46 AM   #8
Senior Veteran

AprilPow HB User

Could it be possible that the RAI didn't kill all of your thyroid? Thats possible, isn't it? where people sometime have to get another dose of RAI?

April

Old 09-09-2004, 09:20 AM   #9
(female)

Lore HB User

Well true, maybe it didnt destroy all the way, how can you tell? I did become Hypo but lets say it did destroy all how can it be possible that I could be both Hypo and Hyper Thyroid on blood test can it be because of medication too much maybe. What can I do not to feel extremely fatigued and need so much sleep, that even when I wake up I feel worse sometimes. I am taking multi-vitamins for energy, doesn't help much.

Old 09-09-2004, 10:06 AM   #10
Senior Veteran

AprilPow HB User

lol I have no clue! I just remember reading somewhere that sometimes RAI doesn't kill it all. Just thought I'd chime in!

I think there was someone on the board, I can't remember his name who told me he had the RAI twice (I think) and had to get surgery anyway.

I am getting the surgery. Just started taking my medications to prepare for it.

sorry I'm not too knowledgable on the thyroid.

Let us know what you find out!

April

Old 09-09-2004, 10:29 AM   #11
(female)

Lore HB User

Hey no problem! I'm just looking for a way to feel better to actually feel likes it me inside my body. Eventually I will get there but don't know when. But thanx for posting a response, even that help me feel better knowing that someone out there is listening to me.

Old 09-09-2004, 11:59 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User

OK, this may be far fetched, but....
maybe the RAI did not kill off all of your thyroid (technically, it's not supposed to. Doctors are supposed to try and kill just enough to make you not hyperactive). If you had antibodies attacking your thyroid before that caused to get Graves and go hyper, maybe they are still attacking your deminished thyroid and giving you hyper symptoms. Maybe you should have an antibodies test ran again?

Old 09-09-2004, 12:27 PM   #13
(female)

Lore HB User

Thanx for your response, what is the antibodies test called do you know by any chance? I usually get something likeT3, T4 is that it.

Old 09-09-2004, 04:48 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Antibody testing for Graves is TSI, for Hashi's its TPO.
Hope you can get to feeling better soon, keep us posted.

Old 09-10-2004, 08:50 AM   #15
(female)

Lore HB User

Any suggestions in how I can feel more energized. I'm now falling asleep more faster and take naps in afternoons for maybe an 1hour. I still dont feel any better.

Closed Thread