It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2004, 06:00 PM   #1

trustnoone555 HB User
How low should it be?

Thanks for the replies to my other post. I just have a couple more questions. Since my tsh was between 1.1 to 2.3, and i have all hypo sysmptoms(including inability to lose weight), how low should it be? Can some people really not function well at those ranges? Because almost everything i read people feel good around 1 to 2. ? Have some of you been around the same numbers, then lowered? do you feel better? Thank you for any help.

Old 09-02-2004, 07:38 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User
Re: How low should it be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustnoone555
Thanks for the replies to my other post. I just have a couple more questions. Since my tsh was between 1.1 to 2.3, and i have all hypo sysmptoms(including inability to lose weight), how low should it be? Can some people really not function well at those ranges? Because almost everything i read people feel good around 1 to 2. ? Have some of you been around the same numbers, then lowered? do you feel better? Thank you for any help.
When I was diagnosed as hypothyroid, my TSH was 2.6, and I was practically disabled by the fatigue. I had to sleep 14 hours a day just to be minimally functional. TSH has NO--I repeat NO--direct correlation with symptoms. There are people who feel fine with TSH as high as 100, while others, like myself, are in bad shape and still very hypo with a "low" TSH. I have to have TSH completely suppressed (less than 0.01) to feel well.

What is important is that Free T4 and Free T3 BOTH are where they need to be. A good target is to aim for these to be slightly above the middle of the lab range and slowly tweak up from there. I find that mine needs to be at about halfway between the middle and the top of the range to feel my best. Higher is too much and lower leaves me tired and achy and hypo symptoms start coming back. Other people may have different needs, but the guideline to aim slightly above the middle of the range is a good place to start.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Last edited by Meep; 09-02-2004 at 07:41 PM. Reason: typos

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2004, 08:02 PM   #3

trustnoone555 HB User
Re: How low should it be?

thank you very much

Last edited by trustnoone555; 09-02-2004 at 08:02 PM.

Closed Thread