It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2004, 06:14 AM   #1
Inactive

naanee HB User
Seeking Help..................

I am in a big mess right now. I belive my girl is hypo. but my husband don't thik she need any help.

let me tell you my whole story here. My girl she got vitiligo. start in year 2000 in Jan. on her eyes. now she is lossing her hair on top of head on one spot. that is getting bigger & bigger. i noticed that so is every body. so far i ignore that. i told her it's ok nothing to worried about. but inside my heart i know she had some problume. she tired all the time & gaining weight. she eat healthy food & do exercise every day on treadmill for 30min. i am with her when she do exercise. she trying to loose weight. She start yoga too in the morning. becouse i do yoga so she start with me. Now when she walk to theradmill after that she complain her knees are hurting & she put on pain cream on them before she go to bed. i feel sorry for her. but she still do exercise. she is only 11 and half year old. in winter months her hand skin get so rought like so hard & black hands. she is having all the symptoms of hypo. this year on March i took her to Naturopaths to see what he is going to say about her Vitiligo. he send her blood work to the lab. He tells me that she may be having thyroid problume. But her lab result came back normal. but this doctor give thyroid medician listen to paitents problumes not to lab report. he gave her 30mg Armour. Her basel Temp. is very low like 95. or 96 every morning or day time. when i got back from doctor office, i told my husband about everything. he did not like to have my girl thyroid medician. he fight with me that day & not let me get her presciption for her from store. He got upset with me a lot that day. becouse that Naturpathy dignoised my thyrooid problume no one esle. My husband think basically this doctor treating every body with thyroid problume. My husband think she is not sick it just me only i am the one making such a big deal about it. My husband don't think thyroid problume for kid's. he think this problume only for grownup(Ladies) these days my girl having a heaches all the time she just don't say anything infornt of my husband if she is having any pain or anything. she just come to me & tell me. i feel so bad about it. i want to take her to the doctor agian & check her blood work agian to see how she doing with her problume. but thing is blood work don't show anything. I need your guys help here how to tell my husband she got some problume & she need help. I do not want to be too late in her situation. she allready got so many problumes. please i need your input. he won't listen to me at all.

i am going to post her lab work here the one she did on this year in March.

T4, FREE, CALCULATED 1.95 1.20-3.22
T4, TOTAL 6.4 3.8-12.0 UG/DL
T3 UPTAKE 30.4 22.0-37.0%
TSH 1.45 0.70-6.40mU/L
T4, FREE 0.9 0.9-1.4 NG/DL
T3, TOTAL 133 123-211 NG/DL
THYROGLOBULIN AB LESS THAN 2.0 0.0-2.0 IU/ML
THYROID PEROXIDASE AB LESS THAN 2.0 0.0-2.0 IU/ML

She is gaining weight inappropriately
she is not able to lose weight with diet/exercise
low body temperature (I feel cold when others feel hot, I need extra sweaters, etc.)
feel fatigued, exhausted
hair is coarse and dry, breaking, brittle, falling out
skin is coarse, dry, scaly, and thick
moods change easily
more forgetful lately
having headache's
Allergies,
eye side week
very irritable

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2004, 06:32 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

AprilPow HB User
Re: Seeking Help..................

Maybe you can suggest to your husband your daughter tries the medication, if it makes her feel better, you keep with it. If it doesn't help, you stop. I've read on here that it takes quite a bit of time for it to start working though.
Too, I would suggest bringing her to the family doc. Is she diabetic? I know with diabetes you are really tired, urinate a lot. ..etc. And if you don't have just the right diet it is hard to lose weight.

I would get a full exam done, rule out any health problems, including the thyroid. Then go from there.

There are other people on the board who will know more about the test results! good luck!

Old 09-03-2004, 08:38 AM   #3
Inactive

naanee HB User

Thanks AprilPow for reply. she eat health food. i do not buy any junk food.

Question for Midwest1,

How you find out you have autoimmune diseases. there is any blood work for that. if there is i want to know. i make another appt. with our family dotcor for yearly checkup. This time i am not going to let my husband know till lab ressults came back. Her appt. is on Sept. 13th. now i need your help again. My husband don't go to the doctors with us. he think he is mr. right. what is Lupus erythematous. Could you please explain to me.

what type of blood work i ask my family doctor.

1. Diabetes blood tests(insulin-depenent)
2. complete thyroid panel tests
3. test for arthritis
4. Lupus erythematous

if i forget anything please let me know. i want to get all the inf. before i go to the docotor.

Last edited by naanee; 09-03-2004 at 08:39 AM.

Old 09-03-2004, 06:02 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmaan
How you find out you have autoimmune diseases. there is any blood work for that. if there is i want to know.
Testing for antibodies in a blood sample indicate whether there is autoimmune disease or not. The thyroglobulin and thyroperoxidase tests that your daughter had are for thyroid antibodies of the type seen in Hashimoto's thyroiditis. It appears that she does not have thyroid antibodies, but she still is hypothyroid, as indicated by her low FT4 and TT3. There are other antibody tests for lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, etc. But if I were you, I would not put the child through all those tests until her hypoT is taken care of. She may feel so well at that point that no more tests will be necessary.

The labwork that the naturopath did in March is an excellent thyroid panel. Almost every test imaginable, and they indicate a problem. Take those results with you to the family doctor visit. Make him understand that you know the FT4 and the Total T3 should not be so low. It does not matter that the TSH doesn't look too bad; the thyroid hormone levels are the ones that count. If he refuses to help her, continue the treatment with the naturopath and forget the family doctor.

I wouldn't want to interfere with or criticize your family relationship, but you should know that if a doctor finds a problem with the child that your husband refuses to allow to be treated, it amounts to child neglect. That's a crime against the law in the US. You may have to defend the child's right to medical treatment. I hope it won't come to that, but your husband is just wrong... and someone must stand up for your daughter. If he still refuses to cooperate, tell the doctor about his refusal to let her be treated. The doctor may be able to legally intervene for her so that you don't have to be the villain.

Please keep us informed of what happens next.

Old 09-07-2004, 09:24 AM   #5
Inactive

naanee HB User

midwest1,

thanks for reply. Your post give me hope & strength. i made an appt. with naturopath for my girl. her appt. is on 28th Sept. I am not going to take her to our family doctor, thing is if i took her to my family doctor he is the one old fashion school. he go buy only TSH level. so it is waste of time & money to see him. So that is why i decied to go to naturopath doctor. he know's more aout it. i am going to start her thyroid medician. this time i go to naturopath doctor. i am going to tell him everything about me & my husband stiuation about this treatment. so he can talk to my husband next time if he try to refuses me for getting her treateated. Thanks again midwest1!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by naanee; 09-07-2004 at 09:25 AM.

Closed Thread