It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2004, 07:44 AM   #1
(female)

sassy040 HB User
Panic Attacks

Has Anyone Had Panic Attacks Due To Thyroid Problem, And If So, What Helped, Medicine?

Thanks

Old 09-03-2004, 12:35 PM   #2
(female)

Anxious Annie HB User
Re: Panic Attacks

My mom used to when her hypothyroidism was not being treated and still does have panic "symptoms" when her meds (Synthroid) need adjustment.

I know she used to take valium at times when it got really bad. I take Ativan for panic (not daily, only as needed).

Good luck! I know it's hard.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2004, 02:32 PM   #3
(female)

imoutrunning HB User

I had panic attacks often when I was hyperthyroid with Graves'. Deep breathing and relaxation techniques helped, as did B-vitamins and calcium. When I became hypo, I had a couple, too, but they had a different "feel" to them... same things helps, along with eating something like oatmeal or bananas which help serontonin production in the brain.

Old 09-03-2004, 02:49 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

If I drink a nice cold glass of milk, it seems to relax me and do the deep breathing thing.

Old 09-03-2004, 07:54 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

lucky charms HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassy040
Has Anyone Had Panic Attacks Due To Thyroid Problem, And If So, What Helped, Medicine?

Thanks
Oh yes do I know about panic attacks..The only thing that has helped me get through them besides prayer was XANAX........

Old 09-06-2004, 11:54 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
Talking Re: Panic Attacks

Quote:

Thanks
you don't say how long you've been treated, so my take is that:

- you've always had panic attacks with hypO, or
- that you've had an increase in your panic attacks

you may need a bumpup, so either see your doctor to explain, or if need be have another thyroid panel done ... i used to have panic attacks, but with treatment i find i no longer have them (i have other stuff, but that's not for this post ) ...

are you on synthroid, if so what dose? what were your last labs?

jb

~ when i did have them, i found that breathing into a paper bag sorta' calmed them ...

Old 09-06-2004, 01:42 PM   #7
(female)

sassy040 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinglebts
you don't say how long you've been treated, so my take is that:

- you've always had panic attacks with hypO, or
- that you've had an increase in your panic attacks

you may need a bumpup, so either see your doctor to explain, or if need be have another thyroid panel done ... i used to have panic attacks, but with treatment i find i no longer have them (i have other stuff, but that's not for this post ) ...

are you on synthroid, if so what dose? what were your last labs?

jb

~ when i did have them, i found that breathing into a paper bag sorta' calmed them ...

Old 09-06-2004, 01:44 PM   #8
(female)

sassy040 HB User

Well, Im Still Waiting On Thyroid Scan Results Before Any Meds Are Prescribed. I Was Just Asking If Thyroid Meds Helped With The Symptoms.
Thanks!

Old 09-07-2004, 08:04 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User

I had very bad panic attacks there for a while with an UNDERactive thyroid. I was being treated, but undertreated. I went hypo in January of 2003 after Radio Iodine for Graves Disease and I've YET to have a "normal" lab taken. However, while having my panic attacks, my labs were pretty far off... My Levoxyl dose was increased and that seemed to help. However, I'm a lot like likeme28 - xanax practically saved my life during that time.

As a side-note. I feel 100% positive my panic attacks were related to my thyroid.

Old 09-07-2004, 01:02 PM   #10

Eeyore22 HB User

Panic attacks were what first led to my diagnosis as hypothyroid. The doctor actually thought I would be hyper because of that symptom but wrongo... Since I started on Synthroid my attacks have pretty much vanished. Part of it is (I think) knowing what was causing them. At first it was thought that I had a cardiac problem because my panic seemed to be triggered by a feeling that I was going to faint. Now I don't seem to have any problems and when I do start to feel a little funny I just tell myself that it is my thyroid and that I'm not going to faint and I don't panic.

Hang in there...
Carol

Old 09-07-2004, 04:41 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
Talking Re: Panic Attacks

Quote:
Well, Im Still Waiting On Thyroid Scan Results Before Any Meds Are Prescribed. I Was Just Asking If Thyroid Meds Helped With The Symptoms.
Thanks!
oh, they most certainly do ... i'd never had panic attacks b/f and actually i didn't know what they were -- had to figure that all out, then i was treated, then they gradually stopped ... i barely remember them now

jb

Closed Thread