It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2004, 04:11 PM   #1
(female)

Seelygirl HB User
New to Thyroid research and have questions!

Hey Everyone! First let me say that I am really sorry if what I am about to asked has been answered before. Let me just give you a little background. I am a 26 year old female. I have two kids one is almost 2 and the other one is 4 months. I have been over weight all my life and have only one time been at a normal weight and that was about 5 years when I was taking an ephedra product. I think I have had low thyroid symptoms most of my life but over the past 4 years they have gotten worse! Here is what my symptoms are.

Extermely over weight (this also has a lot to do with a bad diet)
No Energy...almost like a Zombie all day
Cold hands and feet...even when its like 80 degree's outside
Sleep like 10 hours every night and still wake up feeling exhausted
Frequent Headaches
Anxiety (to the point where I don't want to leave my house) even though I do
Mental fog...this is the symptom that I have noticed that has gotten significantly worse in the past year...I can't concentrate and have severe memory loss
This may not be related but I often have nausea for no aparant reason

So what do you think....do I have low thyroid? I did have my thyroid checked about 5 years ago and it came back normal...now I know that this doesn't really mean much. Also my sister has an overactive thyroid. So I have also heard that the prescription medicine used to treat the thyroid can make the symptoms worse and I have seen that there are many "natural" ways of "fixing" the thyroid. Any suggestions as far as treating it? I have got to do something because this is ruining my life. I want to be "normal". If this is what is wrong with me then you don't know what a releif it would be becuase I have just thought for most of my life that it was in my head and that I was crazy. I feel like....why me? Anyway, thanks for much for listening!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2004, 05:12 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
Re: New to Thyroid research and have questions!

Hi and welcome to the boards. I am sorry that you are not feeling well. I am not an expert on thyroid problems. All the symptoms you mention point to a thyroid problem. I have hypothyroidism which is the opposite of
hyperthyroidism.
I have also gained weight. Feel like I could sleep most of the time. Also I get depressed and tired.
There are people on this board that know quite a bit more about thyroid problems. I will let them help you out. Take care of yourself.

Betty

Old 09-06-2004, 05:51 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seelygirl
Extermely over weight (this also has a lot to do with a bad diet)
No Energy...almost like a Zombie all day
Cold hands and feet...even when its like 80 degree's outside
Sleep like 10 hours every night and still wake up feeling exhausted
Frequent Headaches
Anxiety (to the point where I don't want to leave my house) even though I do
Mental fog...this is the symptom that I have noticed that has gotten significantly worse in the past year...I can't concentrate and have severe memory loss
This may not be related but I often have nausea for no aparant reason

Any suggestions as far as treating it?
I can sympathise and empathise with you, seelygirl I have most of those symptoms as well, including the nausea, which usually comes about because I am so damned tired all the time (diziness brings it on as well) and it usually leads to panic attacks. I just found out today headaches are also a common symptom due to low levels of T3 and T4.

I would have a good long read through the information archive stuck to the top of this forum - there are recommendations on which tests you want (TSH, Free T4 and T3 and antibodies) and how to get them from your doctor. There are also lists of foods to avoid and supplements that help - and believe me they do. I am still awaiting treatment (my appointment is actually tomorrow morning) and just by getting some of the supplements and not eating some of the foods I used to live on, I feel somewhat better.

You'll learn a lot here and you'll find out you're not alone - that helps too.

Cheers,
Nat

Old 09-06-2004, 06:27 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

AprilPow HB User

Go see your doc. Get tested. I had a baby 6 mos ago and well now I have a thyroid problem. IT won't hurt to go to the docs and get checked over. I found my GYN to be a little more sympathetic than my regular doctor.

There is thyroiditis which occurs a lot after pregnancy and it usually goes away on it's own.

Its worth going to the doctors so at least you know what, if anything, you are dealing with!

Good luck!

April

Old 09-06-2004, 06:32 PM   #5

Tom W. HB User

If I were you I would make an appointment with an Endrocrinologist. That's an MD who treats thyroid problems. Make an appointment as soon as possible. It could take you a week or two before you see one. I had my thyroid removed 5 years ago and I have been on Synthroid ever since. I get blood tests every two months now. They just uped the dosage. Please....make that appointment as soon as possible.. Best wishes...Tom

Last edited by Tom W.; 09-06-2004 at 06:34 PM.

Old 09-06-2004, 06:35 PM   #6

Tom W. HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom W.
If I were you I would make an appointment with an Endrocrinologist. That's an MD who treats thyroid problems. Make an appointment as soon as possible. It could take you a week or two before you see one. I had my thyroid removed 5 years ago and I have been on Synthroid ever since. I get blood tests every two months now. They just uped the dosage. Please....make that appointment as soon as possible.. Best wishes...Tom

Old 09-06-2004, 08:10 PM   #7
(female)

Seelygirl HB User

Thank you all for the replies. I think I will start my seeing a doc! i just truly hope that he/she is sympethetic. You know I always thought that since I was given a test that was negative 5 years ago that I could not possibly have a problem...so glad I found this board and the information!

Again, thank you! I will do some more research!

LaRessha

Old 09-06-2004, 08:12 PM   #8

mom2alliandmatt HB User

I know pregnancy can bring out a thyroid problem. I have a lot of the same symptoms as you and I finally got diagnosied with HypoT. The weight gain and other symptoms started after giving birth to my son 3 years ago. I would go get checked out. Good Luck

Closed Thread