It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2004, 06:58 PM   #1

MzDee HB User
Has anyone had thyroid removed?

My mother is facing an operation for removal of her thyroid because of a cancerous nodule. Has anyone been thru this? Is there a lot of pain afterwards? How long does it take to get your thyroid hormones stableized?

Old 09-07-2004, 05:17 AM   #2
Inactive

puton10 HB User
Re: Has anyone had thyroid removed?

I had my thyroid removed in June this year. I wasn't in any pain in the 2 days that followed, but then some discomfort set in and it felt like a sore throat and muscle pain in my neck. It only lasted a few days. I didn't even need the pain killers that were prescribed for me. The cancer was so small, and in the right lobe only (which had actually been removed 2 years ago.) so I didn't need radiation or chemo of any kind. I was put on 100 mcg of Levoxyl.But in the 2 weeks that followed I gained 6 pounds. I got the med upped to 125 mcg, but in the following 2 weeks I gained another 5 pounds for a total of 11 pounds. My blood work showed that I was on the high end of "normal." So I asked to switch to Armour Thyroid. I switched about 2 weeks ago, (to 75 mg) and haven't gained any weight. I am trying to lose the weight now. I haven't had any depression or any other symptoms, except I am tired all the time and hot(?) I also went through a trying time since my Mom just passed away, which many of you know out there. So,. I am depressed and feeling blah, but I think that has more to do with my life than my meds. I am waiting another 2 weeks or so to get my blood checked, and hopefully I can get it all straightened out. From what I know, it takes a good 4-6 weeks to get stabilized, but I think you can talk to your doctor and let him/her know what you are feeling, so that adjustments could be made without waiting. Every doctor is different. I am lucky, my doctor listenened more to me than to the bloodtests. Good luck to your Mom.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2004, 06:03 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

I believe that stress can cause many problems to your health. Everytime I get really stressed out here comes a cold or the flu.

Old 09-07-2004, 06:55 AM   #4
(female)

ok4now HB User

I had my thryroid removed in March. I would say I was uncomfortable for a few days following my surgery. I did take pain medication that the doctor prescribed, as the position that I remained in during surgery caused a severe migraine for me...and that lasted a few days. The pain from the actual surgery was minimal for me. The only time the discomfort increased is if I slept in a way that put pressure on my neck...so I just propped up the pillows so I couldn't move my head as much. As far as getting the hormones stabalized....I had to have RAI after the surgery, so I was off hormones for few weeks to get my TSH low enough. Soon as the RAI was done I was put on Synthroid. Unfortunately I did have an allergic reaction to the fillers and dyes...severe muscle cramps and terrible edema. I did gain about 15lbs while I was taking this as well.(on this one for 2 months) Doc switched me to Unithroid, another allergic reaction for me as my upper body was covered in hives...also another 4 lb weight gain (on this one for 1 month). Finally Doc put me on Armour and Lasix(to get rid of the water weight from the Synthroid) and now I am finally feeling well, actually extrememly well!! So it took me about 5 months from my date of surgery to feel like a real person again.
I count myself as very lucky....many of the stories I have read here have shown people who have struggled much more than I when it came to getting the right thryroid hormone for them.
Best of luck to your mom.

Last edited by ok4now; 09-07-2004 at 06:56 AM.

Closed Thread