It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2004, 09:09 AM   #1

tumblina HB User
body temp and energy after adjusting to dose

I've noticed that when I increase my dose (or most recently, switch to evening instead of morning), my waking body temp increases (yeah!) and I get more energy. That lasts about a week. Then my body temp plummets back down to where it normally sits (36.15C or 97F to 36.4C or 97.5F) and I start dragging again. I know there is an adjustment period to new doses, and that you can feel well on a dose for a little bit, then realise it's still too low - but has anyone noticed the temperature connection as well? My last blood work was close to optimal, and I increased from 30 to 45mg, so I was hoping this would be it!

Old 09-07-2004, 01:18 PM   #2

Felix73 HB User
Re: body temp and energy after adjusting to dose

Hi Tumblina,

Glad you are seeing some signs of recovery. I'm not sure what causes these fluctuations, but I have noticed this too. It goes up and then comes back down again. Very annoying!

I've also noticed that my temp is the same first thing in the morning (taking 75 mcg thyroxine after waking) at around 36.1 but has gradually been increasing in the day (up to 36.9. Hurrah!!!) . I can correlate between energy levels and temp at midday but my temp first thing in the morning never shifts!

I'm presuming that it's to do with adjusting to a certain dose and then needing to increase it as energy and, therefore, expenditure, increases. But I hope someone can shed some light on this.

it's quite a rollercoaster isn't it!

Felix x

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2004, 02:18 PM   #3
Veteran

west end girl HB User

I am just the same , since finding out i'm not well and starting my meds my temp is very odd . I know hate being hot ...

Sara xx

Old 09-08-2004, 02:24 AM   #4

DarkHelmet HB User

Body temperature is a good indicator of your current metabolism rate. I am no doctor, but it seems rather than the medicine adjusting your body to the proper metabolism rate, your body is adjusting to lower that metabolism. I would see your physician and see what s/he says.

This I do know, one time I took a thyroid medication and my morning temperature dropped from 94.5 to 93.7 (brr... cold). That lower temperature caused reduced energy, and were signs of a slowing metabolism. Your thyroid medication appears to be working for that week, then your body adjusts to the previous metabolic rate.

DH

Old 09-08-2004, 03:22 AM   #5

Unn HB User

I haven't measured my temperature, but my experience is that I have a GREAT week shortly after an increase in dosage (Armour), then I become tired and hypo again, but not as bad as when I wasn't on medication.

My theory is that there is a lag in the reaction from the body. Increase in dosage = more T3 & T4 circulating and I feel good, then TSH goes down and the thyroid slows down the production = a drop in T3 & T4 and I feel tired again. The increase in activity also makes me need more T3 & T4.

At some point I will be taking enough Armour to obtain the proper level of T3 and T4... I hope

Closed Thread