It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2004, 01:25 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User
2nd endo visit BLOCK N REPLACE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Guys i dont know where to start ........ went to endo got told l have him and his colleagues demented they dont know whats causing my 'freaky blood test results' his words!!! I had to get it done AGAIN today (only had it done few days ago tut) im having the hetrophile tests again this time on t3 and t4 (last time was ft3 and ft4 and tsh) hes given me thyroxine 125mg to be taking in a morning with my ptu because my eyes are looking dodgy and red at moment......... am i to take the thyroxine and ptu at same time? Im really really fed up l could cry for England.... l was expecting better news but it wasnt to be lm worried sick and so down he tested my eyes with the colour chart l passed no probs there sorry if im rambling like a luny can anybody tell me if l take my ptu and thyroxine at same time please thank you xx

Last edited by niecsey; 09-07-2004 at 03:10 PM. Reason: attention!!

Old 09-07-2004, 02:08 PM   #2
Veteran

west end girl HB User
Re: 2nd endo visit will things ever get better???

Evening , I'm sorry to hear you are having a rough time and sorry i don't know the answers but all i can say is hang on in there , I have really bad days all the time BUT I DO have good days too ... and I KNOW just how hard it is for you but i know you are a strong person so hang on in there and keep strong ..... thinking of you {{{{{hugs}}}}

Sara xx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2004, 02:18 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanx Sara (Y) yea l know you understand about the rough and good times its so hard at times sometimes l feel like its too much but what can we do??? Nothing!! Just go along with the advice etc etc sometimes l feel like a guinea pig (lab one) when l feel like this l feel like lm the only 1 and thats stupid because l only have to come on the board to see so many other people in the same cruel twist!!! Yea lm all wound up ! LOL Please someone tell me if l take the ptu and thyroxine at same time l was paying attention honest! lol things just got abit too much and all l wanted was outta there. Sara l go back in amonth he wants to see me more often and hes going to ring me if he needs me in the next few days eeek!! I honestly think l was fitter before l start taking the meds!!!!!!!!! hows you hun? anymore appintments? l hope your doing good l had been the last few days sad isnt it? you think your on your way then your 'smack' back down take care and keep in touch thinking of you xx

Old 09-07-2004, 02:23 PM   #4
Veteran

west end girl HB User

Hi , I'm having an ok day today had 2 really bad days before , but feel more positive now , just wanna get a full nights sleep !!!!!! sara xx

Old 09-07-2004, 03:11 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

hugs Sara lm off to me bed now hope l get a reply!!!!

Old 09-07-2004, 03:49 PM   #6
Inactive

JohnsBabe HB User
Smile Re: 2nd endo visit will things ever get better???

Hi niecsey...I'm sorry I don't have the answers to your questions but I wanted to to send a {{{{hug}}}} and encourage you to hang in there!

Old 09-07-2004, 03:58 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

I wish they would have let me do the block and replace when I turned really
hypo from the radioactive iodine and the PTU. I suffered for almost two months until my levels came back up on their own.

They let me get some bloodtests today,bless their little hearts
I do feel a lot better. The only problem now is I get so constipated if
I don't take laxatives

Take care

Old 09-07-2004, 09:57 PM   #8

bubblebug64 HB User

Niecsey,
Sorry, I don't have answers either....so new to this myself. But Like so many people on this board, i wanted you to know that i am thinking of you {{{{{hugs}}}}} I know it is hard, very hard, but be strong.
Here's to more good days than bad.
bubblebug (Diana)

Old 09-08-2004, 01:43 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi all thank you so much for replying and thinking of me ((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))) lve rang the chemist this morning and ive to take them together lve decided l will start them tommorow tut (LOL) oh for the simpler life sigh...... l hate taking meds!!!! l can take them without trouble but l just hate knowing l have got to take them! does that make sense? probally not lol Anyway woke up in a much better frame of mind spent hours and hours researching (again) last night you hypers does my dose of thyroxine look ok to you? 125mcg once a day with my ptu? The reason l ask is l notice some people (dont know whether there hyper or hypo) are on less than ive been prescribed.

Old 09-08-2004, 03:55 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

K9Mom HB User

Niecsey, the idea with block and replace is to "put your thyroid to sleep".

With the ATD's you are blocking production of thyroid hormone so the gland does not have to do any work. Then by adding in thyroxine, you are giving your body what it needs to function properly. You do take the thyroxine in the morning with your dose of PTU. Although you need to be aware that there are several things that can interfere with thyroxine absorption....like iron, calcium, orange juice, grapefruit, etc. You may want to post about that as I'm not as familar with T4 meds.

Can you post your FT4 and FT3 results? I'm curious as to why your docs are confused by your results.

Lady50, block and replace would not be used after RAI because you are dealing with a failing gland after RAI. When you turn hypo after RAI you need thyroxine - replacement hormone, not ATD's that block thyroid hormone.

Old 09-08-2004, 04:11 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

K9mom your heaven sent (Y) thank you for explaining what block n replace is!!! You know these damm docs would have less bother if they 'just' explained once in a while........... so more research for me too thanx for telling me about absorption etc is it best to take on an empty stomach too?I too am very curious about my 'freaky results' hope they find out soon whats happening left me really down yesterday......... l was so low......... there still doing the hetrophile to t3 and t4 and t4 and t3 tests which was the one l had yesterday last week was the tsh ft3 ft4 and hetrophile antibodies to t3. All l know is there looking for a reason as to why they could be having false results???? Thanx again you are great xx

Old 09-08-2004, 04:38 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

Oh I see, thank you K9mom. I didn't understand why I couldn't be on block and replace. Thank you for explaining that to me.

If I ever have any questions, I will surely ask you.

Thank you so much

Old 09-09-2004, 05:12 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Lady how did it go????? xxxx

Closed Thread