It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2004, 02:45 PM   #1

lexdc1 HB User
Anxiety and other symptoms

I'm new to the board, and I just want some opinions from people out there if you don't mind. I'm a 25 year old female, and I had a baby 10 months ago. In the last month or so, I've been super anxious all the time. It really doesn't take all that much to get me in tears. I feel like I'm going crazy. I'm in the washroom all the time, one side of my calf feels a little funny (not sure what that's all about), no rash, no indication of anything, just feels a little funny. I've a little muscle ache in my neck and shoulders...and I feel like I've had 5 cups of coffee...when I haven't had any. I feel like I've lost weight, but I don't have a scale, so I don't really know. Anyone out there with similar symptoms?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2004, 05:07 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
Re: Anxiety and other symptoms

Hi welcome to the boards. When you have hyperthyroidism, you get nervous,
hot and sweaty, frequent bowel movements. Sometimes your hair will shed easily. You can't hardly sit still for a minute.

I am just speaking from the my experience with hyperthyroidism. With
hypothyroidism, you get constipated, depressed,tired. Your hair will shed easily too.

There are many people here on the board that will surely add to this.

Take care of yourself,
Betty

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2004, 06:29 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

lex,
You definitely should get your thyroid tested. The post-partum period is a very common time for it to go wonky. Thyroiditis can cause the kind of anxiety and nervousness you're talking about, and it can make your muscles hurt... as well as the things that Lady50 spoke about.
The tests you need are TSH, free T4 and free T3, and thyroid antibodies. They all are done with a simple blood test.

Old 09-08-2004, 05:38 AM   #4

lexdc1 HB User

My neck also feels a little swolen, is that a symptom?

Old 09-08-2004, 06:50 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Yes, it is. Your thyroid gland may be swollen. That can either mean it's producing too much hormone or too little. Judging by the symptoms you report, it sounds as if yours is producing too much, and you may be hyperthyroid. Now remember... we are just laypeople here, and can't tell from this distance (if we can tell at all) what exactly may be wrong. But you definitely should have it checked out.

Closed Thread