It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2004, 03:04 PM   #1
(female)

Seelygirl HB User
So has treatment worked?

Hey Everyone, I recently found this board after realizing that I am probably hypoT. I will make an appointment as soon as I find a Naturopath that will do all the necessary test.

Anyway, I have spent most of the day reading past threads and trying to make sense of the all the information on this board and what I want to know is ... those of you that are being treated for hypoT...do you feel better? Do you have more energy and is the mental fog gone? I just have not seen many "success stories" yet but maybe I am not looking in the right places.

I want to know what is working for everyone and how long it took for it to work. Anyone taking a more natural approach to this? Sorry for all the questions but I just really am hoping that there are some of you that are feeling MUCH better after treatment. Also, I realize that it is a day to day thing and some days are worse than other but just in general terms!

Thank you sooo much!

LaRessha

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2004, 03:36 PM   #2
(female)

Redford Phyl HB User
Re: So has treatment worked?

I think finding a doctor who is willing to listen and work with you is the biggest problem. I found a terrific DO GP last year who took me off Synthroid and put me on Armour. Through trial and error, Iím now on 1.5 grains of Armour and 50 mcg of Synthroid a day, and it seems to be working, at least for now. I crash for about an hour in the afternoon, but Iím beginning to think that itís more habit from years of being untreated than it is necessity. My eye twitches are gone. My joint problems are a lot better. My carpal tunnel problems are almost nonexistant. Still canít lose weight, but I didnít get this way overnight and Iím not going to get better overnight. The biggest thing is finding the right doctor. If one doesnít seem right, find another one. They canít go by lab values alone.

Hang in there. Youíre not alone. I know lots of people who lead very normal lives with thyroid problems.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2004, 06:00 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

reni HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seelygirl
but I just really am hoping that there are some of you that are feeling MUCH better after treatment. LaRessha
I think it's important to keep in mind that the people who come here are mostly people with problems, either related to diagnosis, or treatment, or both. You won't be seeing the great majority of people who are on meds and feel just great, because they have no reason to come to a board like this. Even people who have visited here with problems and are now "success stories" will probably fade away with time. So don't be discouraged!

Old 09-07-2004, 06:41 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Yes, I feel better. Have been in successful treatment going on 1 year... after being unsuccessfully treated for about 6 months.
I have no more brain fog, I have as much energy as my "before-hypo self" did [Not more, just the same.], my blood pressure is normal, my eyebrows have grown back, and I'm not as short-winded. My eyes don't burn and blur the way they used to.
I still have muscle aches, but it's quite possible they aren't related to the hypo; I'm searching out other causes and cures for them.
I haven't had my cholesterol checked since I've been in treatment, but I'm hoping it has come down. I haven't lost weight, but I hadn't really gained much while hypo... so no win, no loss.

In short, if symptoms are caused by hypo, treating the hypo will eliminate them. BUT... we must always remember that not every symptom can be blamed on the hypo, and treating the hypo won't eliminate those that aren't caused by it.

Last edited by midwest1; 09-07-2004 at 06:42 PM.

Old 09-07-2004, 10:26 PM   #5
(female)

Seelygirl HB User

Redford...yes I think this will be the biggest problem (finding a good doc). However, I am pretty stubborn and will not put up with a Dr. that will not do a simple extra test or two (at least I think that it is simple). I mean come on...what is it going to hurt them? Even if they beleive that that doing the free T3 and free T4 test is useless ... they should be willing to do them at the patients request. I mean thats why they get paid the big bucks!

Reni...you are so right...I didn't even think about it that way. That makes a lot of sense if someone is feeling better then there is no reason to seek support! Thanks for helping me see this.

Midwest...I believe you are right. I am so glad that you are feeling better! I think (although don't know for sure) that most of today's illnesses are caused my many things. I am sure most of us (me included) don't get the nutrition that we need and that has a lot to do with it. If I do find out that I am HypoT I will deffinatley change my diet and try to "cure" it as naturely as possible.

Thank you all for the response. I am kind of excited to find out my results. I know that sounds weird but if I find out that this is what is wrong, it will be nice to know that its just not laziness or depression..ya know? Thanks again!

LaRessha

Closed Thread