It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2004, 07:21 PM   #1

curiouskat HB User
please help.

Hi everyone:

This is my first comment/question on this or any other board. I have been reading everyone else's responses and quite literally stumbled over the fact that I have very similar symptons of Hypothyroid. I went through menopause at 43. At the age of 52, I developed all of a sudden high LDL, gained weight, experienced pain in knees/wrists. (I have 8 brothers/sisters and I am the only one with cholesterol problems and the only one that has put on so much weight!) When I lay flat I can't talk because of something strangling me (found this out when I was having a medical procedure and the nurses kept trying to talk to me and they had to elevate me so I could respond.) I have very dry skin, tired all the time, I cry and become very depressed even though I am on 150 mg per day of Effexor XR. I have extreme constipation although I take Zelnorm. I have a hiatal hernia and gerd and take 30mg of previcid twice a day. I have been put on Lipitor which rendered me a criple - I couldn't step up on a curb without excrutiating pain. Then they put me on Crestor, same thing - extreme pain. My doctor took me off of it and wants to put me on something else, but I am very reluctant. After reading some of the info on this board, I became suspicous of Fossamax and have since stopped taking it. I am completely pain free for the first time in 2 years. Except for the arithitis type paid in wrists and knees. I called my doctor today and asked if I had ever had my thyroid tested and they said they tested the TSH and it was normal. I asked for the result and the range, but I don't know if it warrants further testing of the free Ts. The result is 1.62 out of a range of .40 and 5.50. Is there anyone that can tell me if what I have disclosed is an indicator of Hypothyroid?

Also, when they were trying to discover why I was in so much pain, they found small cysts on my liver. They told me not to worry, but we need to watch. Is this a symtom?

Thank you.

Katie

Last edited by curiouskat; 09-07-2004 at 08:16 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2004, 07:36 PM   #2

curiouskat HB User
Re: looking for advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiouskat
Hi everyone:

This is my first comment/question on this or any other board. I have been reading everyone else's responses and quite literally stumbled over the fact that I have very similar symptons of Hypothyroid. I went through menopause at 43. At the age of 52, I developed all of a sudden high LDL, gained weight, experienced pain in knees/wrists. (I have 8 brothers/sisters and I am the only one with cholesterol problems and the only one that has put on so much weight!) When I lay flat I can't talk because of something strangling me (found this out when I was having a medical procedure and the nurses kept trying to talk to me and they had to elevate me so I could respond.) I have very dry skin, tired all the time, I cry and become very depressed even though I am on 150 mg per day of Effexor XR. I have extreme constipation although I take Zelnorm. I have a hiatal hernia and gerd and take 30mg of previcid twice a day. I have been put on Lipitor which rendered me a criple - I couldn't step up on a curb without excrutiating pain. Then they put me on Crestor, same thing - extreme pain. My doctor took me off of it and wants to put me on something else, but I am very reluctant. After reading some of the info on this board, I became suspicous of Fossamax and have since stopped taking it. I am completely pain free for the first time in 2 years. Except for the arithitis type paid in wrists and knees. I called my doctor today and asked if I had ever had my thyroid tested and they said they tested the TSH and it was normal. I asked for the result and the range, but I don't know if it warrants further testing of the free Ts. The result is 1.62 out of a range of .40 and 5.50. Is there anyone that can tell me if what I have disclosed is an indicator of Hypothyroid?

Also, when they were trying to discover why I was in so much pain, they found small cysts on my liver. They told me not to worry, but we need to watch. Is this a symtom?

Thank you.

Katie

Old 09-08-2004, 04:46 AM   #3

Unn HB User

Hi Curiouskat
Sorry to hear about your problems.
It looks like the doctor only did a TSH-test, and for some this is not enough. I've had a TSH of 2 for years and now I know that I was hypothyroid during that time also. My TSH recently went up to 5.1 and finally I got a diagnose and medication.

You should get these tests done: TSH, Free T3, Free T4 and Anti-TPO. You should also make sure to get these tests done in the morning, since the TSH is higher in the morning.

As soon as you get these numbers, post them here with the reference ranges.

Good luck

Old 09-08-2004, 06:17 AM   #4

curiouskat HB User

Unn:

Thank you for your advice. I was wondering what the name of the antibody test was called. The TSH I did get was taken in the afternoon. I should find out today if the doctor will let me have the other tests.

Thanks again.

Old 09-09-2004, 06:20 PM   #5

curiouskat HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unn
Hi Curiouskat
Sorry to hear about your problems.
It looks like the doctor only did a TSH-test, and for some this is not enough. I've had a TSH of 2 for years and now I know that I was hypothyroid during that time also. My TSH recently went up to 5.1 and finally I got a diagnose and medication.

You should get these tests done: TSH, Free T3, Free T4 and Anti-TPO. You should also make sure to get these tests done in the morning, since the TSH is higher in the morning.

As soon as you get these numbers, post them here with the reference ranges.

Good luck
Unn:

The nurse called today and said the doctor would not test me any further. He says that the TSH is the most sensitive test. So no Free T's.

Thanks for your reply, I am exercising and trying to lose this weight, then maybe I won't be so depressed!

Last edited by curiouskat; 09-09-2004 at 06:23 PM.

Old 09-09-2004, 07:40 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiouskat
Unn:

The nurse called today and said the doctor would not test me any further. He says that the TSH is the most sensitive test. So no Free T's.

Thanks for your reply, I am exercising and trying to lose this weight, then maybe I won't be so depressed!
Fire the doctor, curiouskat, and find one who will listen to you. TSH doesn't tell the whole story, you need to have your Free Ts tested and they should look for antibodies to rule out autoimmune thyroid disease. Often osteopaths and naturopaths are better at diagnosing and treating thyroid disease; they listen to the patient and treat symptoms, not just lab results.

There is a lot of information in the Information Archive that would be useful to you, have a look through it (which foods to avoid, which supplements help, which tests you need done and how to get them, how to interview a doctor).

Nat

Old 09-09-2004, 07:56 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Gopherhead has given you excellent advice, and I completely agree. Please, please find another doctor. Your symptoms scream hypoT... no matter that your TSH is in range.
Please do it before your related health conditions get even worse. It's possible that most of what you have might be caused by your underfunctioning thyroid, and they can improve with thyroid hormone replacement.

Old 09-11-2004, 06:46 AM   #8

curiouskat HB User

Thanks everyone for your support. The problem is insurance and being able to change doctors. Naturopaths and osteopaths are usually not covered by HMOs. If you know of anyone in the Chicago area that is, please let me know.

Looking into the archives is a great idea. I will do that; at least maybe I can find something that will help me with this weight. I have just gained 3 lbs in 1 week. I don't get it - I do not eat sweets, fried foods or bread, except for sandwiches and I make sure it is whole wheat! I have walked 3 miles this week - still gaining weight.

Thank you all for responding to my request. If I get help with testing, I will post the results here. When the nurse gave me the news, I just said okay knowing arguing would only prevent any further reasoning with the Dr.. If all else fails, I will set up an appointment to try to plead my case. The test was actually given under the direction of a Nurse Practioner. With my reactions to the other meds, I seem to have been moved to the Drs clientale.

Thanks Again

Katie

Closed Thread